Printer Friendly - re: re: re: Shows that start at the end

Shows that start at the end
Posted by JakeB 2004-01-02 17:10:47

Never mind cliffhanger endings, which shows open right at the very end?

Blood Brothers
Evita
Merrily We Roll Along
The Last Five Years

Bonus question - what was special about the Donmar's recent Olivier Award winning production of Merrily We Roll Along?

re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by broadwayguy2 2004-01-02 17:15:01

Wicked

re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by Hello Gorgeous 2004-01-02 17:16:17

Kind of like a flashback? Because in that case, Wicked counts...

re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by Hello Gorgeous 2004-01-02 17:17:01

Crap someone got there before me...grrr....haha

re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by Mattio98 2004-01-02 17:24:07

Phantom of the Opera

re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by mcphan19 2004-01-02 17:38:07

Sunset Blvd.

re: re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by Benzy92 2004-01-02 17:39:25

I LOOOVE Merrily We Roll Along.. there was supposed to be a reading for a revival I read on Variety.com? I think Gavin Creel was mentioned as Charlie.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by BillyLawlor 2004-01-02 17:41:51

In a way, Jekyll and Hyde does. Because Utterson and Sir Danvers are talking about Jekyll and how fine of a man he was and all. So, they were sort of flashing back, weren't they?

Or was that not a flashback?

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by Mr Roxy 2004-01-02 17:50:13

Betrayal by Pinter I believe

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by robactorguy 2004-01-02 17:51:10

Aspects of Love

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by MyNameInLights 2004-01-02 17:56:17

Hey BillyLawlor! I wouldn't say so... I think when Utterson and Sir Danvers were talking about how fine a man Jekyll was, I think they were talking about how much he had changed since experimenting with good and evil. I hope I explained that right, but then again I never understand myself...

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by bob8rich 2004-01-02 18:03:04

I'm not sure what you're referring to as "special" about the Donmar revival of "Merrily". But it did restore the song "The Hills Of Tomorrow" to the opening scene, which had been cut in earlier rewrites by Sondheim and Furth.

It was also a pretty special production with some great performances, especially from Daniel Evans as Charlie.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by bob8rich 2004-01-02 18:11:57

In addition to all the shows mentioned by others, another show that starts "at the end" - and then tells the story in flashback - is "Camelot". The original Broadway production did not do this, however. But when Lerner wrote the screenplay for the film version, he began it "at the end". Then he rewrote the book for the stage version for later productions.

Also, "Company" begins - and ends - with Bobby's birthday party, then the rest of the show unfolds as scenes in Bobby's mind from what has happened in his life.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by Broadway Bulldog 2004-01-02 18:59:27

FUNNY GIRL is another show in which Act One Scene 1 is the same as the last scene in the last act. Fanny sitting in her dressing room of the New Amsterdam Theatre waiting for Nick Arnstein to arrive after being released from prison. The entire show is Fanny's memories bringing her to this day in her life.

Yours for a Broadway of Styne-ways!

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by JO125 2004-01-03 00:06:32

TABOO
Starts with Phillip and Big Sue meeting for the photo shoot and ends at the photo shoot.

My memory is pretty fuzzy on this, but I believe BLOODBROTHERS also begin at the end and then the narrator told the story via flashback of how the tragic end came to pass.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by JoizeyActor 2004-01-03 00:07:34

Taboo has started at the end in another way as well.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by Craig 2004-01-03 00:15:13

technically, little shop of horrors pretty much begins at the end with the naration and the "warning" from the urchins..

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Shows that start at the end
Posted by JoizeyActor 2004-01-03 00:21:41

Hm, that's true too.

"You better,
You better,
Tellin' you better
Tell your mama
Somethin's gonna get her.
She better,
Everybody better beware."

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sho
Posted by CaTheatreGirl 2004-01-03 00:35:07

Aida?

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sho
Posted by Sumofallthings 2004-01-03 00:53:31

Assassins kind of counts it looks back at the assassins I suppose

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sho
Posted by Kitzarina 2004-01-03 01:04:56

Yes, Aida definately counts. I would say that Jane Eyre counts too. It doesn't really start at the end, but it is told from Jane's POV after the events have occured. At least in the pre-Broadway conception...I refuse to listen to the bastardized version that opened in the Brooks Atkinson theater >_<

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sho
Posted by onceadancer2 2004-01-03 09:25:59

Noel Coward's BITTERSWEET. Am I the only person here who knows this show?

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Sho
Posted by Broadway Bulldog 2004-01-03 09:28:17

Welcome back, Miriam!

No, you're not the only person who knows BITTERSWEET. I suspect there are several board posters who have an appreciation for Noel Coward as well.

Great to hear from you. Broadway Bulldog

Donmar
Posted by JakeB 2004-01-03 09:32:49

Bob, I believe the production at the Donmar was performed in the correct order and not going backwards? Either that or they rehearsed it so that they could go either way and still be fine.

BTW, I saw Samantha Spiro recently in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Afterwards she was in the bar and she is tiny, but very good looking!

re: Donmar
Posted by bob8rich 2004-01-03 14:09:40

The Donmar production most certainly performed the show backwards - it's the ONLY way it would work - as that is the whole point of the show.

re: re: Donmar
Posted by Gothampc 2004-01-03 17:37:34

The Life sort of does. The first song tells how the characters die.