Printer Friendly - re: Music, Music, Music

Music, Music, Music
Posted by XxDiVaSpArKleXx 2003-11-30 17:15:49

Are there any songs that you can only stand to hear a certain someone sing because anyone else who tries doesn't cut it?

re: Music, Music, Music
Posted by MyNameInLights 2003-11-30 17:47:33

One Song Glory by Adam Pascal... That man has the most passionate, hurt voice I have ever heard. And Michael Ball singing Empty Chairs at Empty Tables. Also, I know it's not from a show, but I only cry when I hear Judy Garland's version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. That song makes me bawl.

re: re: Music, Music, Music
Posted by broadwayguy2 2003-11-30 17:49:33

Jennifer Holliday "And I Am Telling You"

Posted by Dollypop 2003-11-30 18:03:41

Well, it isn't Broadway, but no one sings or acts the role of Desdemona in Verdi's OTELLO like Kiri te Kanawa. I've seen many fine Otellos, but the buttery richness of te Kanawa's voice makes her "Willow Song" and "Ave Maria" absolutely exceptional. Physically, she's right for the role, also.

Posted by shermanslave 2003-11-30 18:06:14

I put my vote in for Elaine Stritch's Ladies Who Lunch. Sure other women may sing it prettier, but it just sounds perfect the way Ms. Stritch does it on the original cast album.

http://www.shermanslave.com/

re: re: Music, Music, Music
Posted by XxDiVaSpArKleXx 2003-11-30 18:14:47

Good ones! Mine would have to be "Meadowlark": Patti LuPone (amazing), "Ladies Who Lunch": Stritch, I know this sounds weird but, "Conga": Rosalind Russell (it's something about her voice that just makes this a fun song for me lol) and I'll probably think of more later :)

GlamourGirl.

re: re: re: Music, Music, Music
Posted by dotmarie 2003-11-30 18:26:36

Elaine Paige and "Memory."

re: re: re: re: Music, Music, Music
Posted by MyNameInLights 2003-11-30 18:33:53

dotmarie, as tired as I am of that song, I have to agree with you completely!

re: re: re: re: re: Music, Music, Music
Posted by Mr Roxy 2003-11-30 22:42:07

As tiresome as "Memory" is, it is the only good thing in the whole "Cats" score . A reviewer put it best when he/she said that watching Cats was like having a cat pee on your leg for 2 hours. Amen. Perhaps the most over rated musical ever. This runs for years & years & " Sideshow " dies. Go figure.

re: re: re: re: re: re: Music, Music, Music
Posted by BroadwayGirl107 2003-11-30 22:57:21

This is random, but I really hat "Out Tonight" from Rent, unless the unknown (yet incrediblly talented) swing, Caren Lyn Manuel sings it.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Music, Music, Music
Posted by JohnPopa 2003-11-30 23:07:21

Nope. There's always someone else that can perform these tunes. Sure I have my favorites but there isn't one rendition of anything that I'm so passionate about that I wouldn't want to hear a different performer give it a go. It's what keeps theater alive, after all.