Printer Friendly - re: 'I don't front, yo! Why YOU frontin'?'

"I don't front, yo! Why YOU frontin'?"
Posted by daisy hilton 2004-09-06 18:31:10

Maybe Idina should take a few lessons from this little boy.

Keep it real, yo.

re: 'I don't front, yo! Why YOU frontin'?'
Posted by CJR 2004-09-06 18:31:56

How bored are you "girl who wants her name not to be posted on the board"?

Posted by Rathnait62 2004-09-06 18:33:26

Actually, I think Idina needs to front a little more.

Posted by daisy hilton 2004-09-06 18:33:37

Just wanted to show off the cuteness that is my baby boy.

Can't be any more bored than you, seeing as you responded to it not even a moment after I clicked post.

Posted by CJR 2004-09-06 19:38:38

That was coincidental

Posted by Broadwaybaby614 2004-09-06 19:47:17

Dude...that kid is badass...

Posted by Sumofallthings 2004-09-06 19:50:47

Why is that child not in school? That's where the drugs are!

Posted by daisy hilton 2004-09-07 01:15:30

Because he's three years old and DAMN straight is he a badass! That's my boy... (Ironically enough, he normally looks like a little prep... he's just a bit of a ham...)

Posted by DGrant 2004-09-07 01:49:02

It's so absolutely fabulous that the role models our society has chosen to emulate are ghetto dwelling street thugs. For anyone desiring to duplicate this effect, all the accouterments you need can be found at your local retailer - including Wal-Mart.

Posted by DollyGirl 2004-09-07 01:51:49

Very good picture.. but give that kid a huge clock on a gold chain!! And make him wear it as a necklace

Posted by shira467 2004-09-07 02:03:58

DGrant, I have to agree with you 100%.

Posted by DGrant 2004-09-07 02:04:59

Shira - I try not to be accusatory, but facts are facts, you know?

Posted by daisy hilton 2004-09-07 02:09:56

The picture was meant to be FUNNY, folks. Lighten up. He's wearing an oversized hat. His butt isn't hanging out of his oversized jeans or anything... no need to overreact.

Posted by DollyGirl 2004-09-07 02:10:49

I got the humor of it..

Posted by Mythus 2004-09-07 02:12:23

That's probably the only kid in the world that, if I met him, would make me turn and run away. His baditude scares me.

Posted by daisy hilton 2004-09-07 02:13:46

Aww... you wouldn't run after he told you he 'wuffed' you!

Posted by shira467 2004-09-07 02:16:30

DGrant, I totally understand. It's unfortunate in our society, that children choose role models that are famous for exploiting women, and glamorizing violence. Just what we need in a country where we go to war for the hell of it, or to avenge Daddy's defeat. Also, children idolize people like Britney Spears. Her claim to fame? More so than her music, her immodest dressing, lack of respect of marriage as a "sacred institution between a man and woman" (To quote Bush, who she thinks we should support because he's, like, the president). She's famous for being famous. When a 6 year old think it's appropriate to wear a mini-skirt and belly-baring shirt, we have a problem.

Posted by DGrant 2004-09-07 02:16:41

Daisy - I'm not over-reacting to anything. It is simply an acknowledgment of what is accepted these days as mainstream. The hat may be oversized, but it is still worn in a style popularized by gang culture - and in their attitude. And if that doesn't offend you, then so be it. I would NEVER want anyone I was associated with - especially a child - to appear to be copying a subculture that is completely disrespectful to the rest of human society - no matter how many white-bread suburbanites are copying it.

Posted by shira467 2004-09-07 02:19:12

I will add -- he's a cute kid though!

Posted by Mythus 2004-09-07 02:21:27

DGrant, I understand where you're coming from, but I have to point out - Daisy's kid is mocking the "gangsta" subculture, not supporting it. I know you realize that, but there's a huge difference. For instance, in The Producers, Roger DeBris goes onstage as Adolf Hitler. Normally, this is shocking and horrible, until you realize that the show is making an ass of Hitler.

Ugh, I'm not making any sense tonight. Sorry.

Posted by daisy hilton 2004-09-07 02:21:29

My point was he doesn't dress like this on a day to day basis... it was him playing 'dress up'. The point was to MOCK the badasses, not for him to actually emulate one. You just made a mountain out of a molehill.

Posted by daisy hilton 2004-09-07 02:22:54

I think you made perfect sense, Mythus. Exactly the point I was trying to make!

Posted by DGrant 2004-09-07 02:24:29

Shira - frankly, that's the most disturbing aspect of it to me. It's not that I think people are consciously choosing to emulate these value systems - they're just going along with whatever everyone else is doing. Well, what everyone is doing is copying a culture of death and destruction of property and societal systems. I have questioned people about this, and the answer is invariably, "But EVERYONE does it." And I agree, everyone does it because they haven't stopped to think for one SECOND what it means or what it represents.

And people wonder why we

Posted by Mythus 2004-09-07 02:24:32

Good, at least you know what I'm trying to say. And, two seconds before you? That's a little creepy.

Posted by daisy hilton 2004-09-07 02:25:32

That is creepy... it's like one mind... *enter eerie music here*

Posted by Mythus 2004-09-07 02:28:46

You must be the long-lost twin my mother has been telling me all about! I don't know why you're long-lost but it's great to finally meet you.

Posted by shira467 2004-09-07 02:29:39

I guess I take it very seriously....I should develop more of a sense of relaxation, that not everything is so serious. But I can't help it. It drives me nuts.

I just realized I sound so conservative, almost Republican. Oy. If I turn into Bush, make it a burning bush.

Posted by DGrant 2004-09-07 02:30:15

Daisy - you would know what the reality of the situation is, and I respect that. If he's mocking it, instead of being allowed to have it as a style choice, then so be it. I still stand by my thoughts concerning society ambracing this ridiculous sub-culture.

Posted by Marquise 2004-09-07 02:34:03

i'm from the south bronx, and yes i do wear my jeans a little baggy and i sometimes wear my cap to the back, and yes i do own more than one pair of timberland boots and yes, i listen to r&b and hip-hop but that doesn't mean that just because I do that I'm a criminal or a drug dealer or a bad influence on society and what's this crap about SUB culture?

it's a style just like wearing khaki pants, loafers, an izod polo and a cute little sweater tied around your shoulders is...

by the way the pic is cute daisy

Posted by shira467 2004-09-07 02:42:40

My goodness, I would hate to say that ALL people who dress the way you choose to, Marquise, is a criminal. But I don't think the child who dresses in such a manner is emulating you, who is an upright citizen and hard working young man? They are emulating rappers like...wow, I don't even know the name. What's the guy in G-Unit? I forget. Or some rapper who is famous for having X amount of gunshot wounds....The child who is emulating the music video where there are 100 scantily clad women who are always sexually charged. The music video objectifies women as mere sex objects. I have a serious problem with that, being a woman.

Oy, I don't know what else to say. I think he's an adorable kid, and I hope he understands to not take the music videos so literally. I'm sure he will grow up wonderfully, and I never really had to worry about it at all. But it sounds like he has a sister who will teach him values, yes?

I worry more about the children who don't have parents and siblings to point out that the rap music video is not reality.

Posted by DGrant 2004-09-07 02:48:20

marquise - I know that people who emulate this style don't necessarily participate in the kinds of activity of the people who originated it. It's the same thing as the popularity at one point in our history of the mobster culture of the 30's. I just have a problem with the 'homage' being paid to a PART of the culture (is that better?) that involves murder, drug-dealing and a general disregard for the rest of society.

And you're right - it may boil down to just a 'style' choice. But the style is derived from a particular group of people - and the 'other' group you mentioned, the ones with the 'preppy' attire, are not known for their completely anti-social (and many times illegal and deadly) behavior.

Posted by daisy hilton 2004-09-07 02:49:17

Um.... he's not allowed to watch music videos. In fact their idea of a fun family evening is sitting around the T.V. watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, followed by an action packed adventure of dancing around the living room.

I don't recall Eminem starring in that one? Unless there was a remake I'm unaware of?

Posted by Marquise 2004-09-07 02:51:54

i see your point dgrant...it's cool papa.

Posted by shira467 2004-09-07 02:56:10

Daisy, I have to confess...

I want to join your family for a night! It sounds so fun and carefree. It sounds so TV perfect.

Posted by DGrant 2004-09-07 03:00:47

God knows I'm p*ssing in the wind here, as all one has to do is look at what is accepted as 'mainstream' to realize I am hopelessly out of step with society. But, so be it. I'll never be comfortable in a culture that allows something like that 'Gotti' reality show - the one that actually celebrates and stars members of a known criminal family - or sets before me a national magazine cover with a man who boasts eleven bullet wounds.

Eventually, we'll probably see 'At Home With the Bin Ladens' - and I'll just continue to move further and further away from the daily lives of my fellow man.

But, as you say, it's cool.

Peace.

Posted by DGrant 2004-09-07 03:31:03

Daisy - please know that 99.9999999% of the people on this board - indeed in the whole world - would respond to the picture in exactly the manner in which you intended it. It's an adorable picture of a child you love just being cute. It just struck a chord in me - and frankly, I wish I had never opened my big fat mouth.

If, in fact, anyone should actually read through the thread, I'm sure I would be seen as the Pri*k who just didn't get it at all.

I really don't want to detract from your pleasure in sharing this pic, so I'll just go about my business, and leave you to have a good time.

Again, peace.

Posted by Rathnait62 2004-09-07 09:26:19

I'm so tired of Britney Spears being blamed for the downfall of society. Since when is she the only celebrity who dresses scantily? Since when is she the only celebrity who's made unfortunate choices? There are plenty of other actors, singers, and athletes who are also at fault here. It shows absolutely no creativity nor imagination to continually put it all on one person. I would hope that at least the people on this board would be a bit more of both those things.

And Daisy, your badass little friend is adorable!

Posted by Pip 2004-09-07 09:33:52

HAH! He looks like my little brother trying to be "all that"! Cute kid, Daisy!