Printer Friendly - re: re: Phantom Of The Opera

Phantom Of The Opera
Posted by Faith2 2004-02-21 15:55:00

I'm sure this has been discussed, but since I'm new to this board, I have not seen any of the discussions....soooo

I was just wondering how many Phantom lovers there are on the board??

I cannot get enough of the music, I have various cast recordings, and I have seen the show in New York, London, and in the Midwestern U.S.A., and it's wonderful....

I also have several film video's including the original black and white version.

I do fancy the Phantom....LOL!

re: Phantom Of The Opera
Posted by krolockskid 2004-02-21 16:13:13

Yeah, Phantom's not a very popular subject around here. But I am a fan of it. I saw it twice on tour and once in New York. When I was younger I used to be really crazy about it, but not so much anymore. Still a good show though. :)

re: re: Phantom Of The Opera
Posted by NativeNewYorker 2004-02-21 16:18:03

I love Phantom! I admit, when I listen to the highlights album, I skip many songs, but the songs I DO listen to I can play over and over...it's very much a sentimental favorite in my family :) And on stage...just gorgeous.

Not to mention how gorgeous Patrick Wilson is going to be in the movie version...

Posted by b-waygirl 2004-02-21 16:18:38

I'm still young and i'm still crazy about it!!!! i've got the entire score by heart, and LOVE THE PLAY....PHANTOM OF THE OPERA KICKS @$$!!!!

re: re: re: Phantom Of The Opera
Posted by newyorkuniq 2004-02-21 17:13:14

Phantom was the first OBC I ever bought so its very special to me:) I can't wait to see how the movie turns out.

re: re: re: re: Phantom Of The Opera
Posted by beacon1 2004-02-21 17:58:39

Film Version: I figure the world premiere will be in London where it was filmed, right? Will New York host a film premiere, too?
Looking forward to seeing it, especially Patrick Wilson (sigh) as a dashing Raoul. Lucky Emmy Rossum (Christine)! And, we're all curious about Gerard Butler as the Phantom...

re: re: re: re: re: Phantom Of The Opera
Posted by DofB5 2004-02-21 18:48:30

Fondest Greetings, Faith2!

I love POTO as well. I've seen it twice but not on Broadway. Hope to change that someday soon.

D

re: re: re: re: re: re: Phantom Of The Opera
Posted by Musetta1957 2004-02-21 20:00:43

I've seen it over a dozen times, own three cast recordings, several music videos and the Lon Chaney film.

The music is good if not repetitive, and the story is fine. It's not a great show, but I got caught up in it during my early teenage years, so that didn't hurt, either...

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Phantom Of The Opera
Posted by Broadwaylilhead 2004-02-22 01:12:49

I love this show..it was the second show I ever saw on a high school trip out here my junior year. We Saw Les Miz on a Thurs and Phantom that Friday... At the time, I thought it was the most incredible thing I had ever seen in person.

I still enjoy seeing it today and I always enjoy seeing a different interpretation of Phantom.. Hugh is probably my favorite thus far.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Phantom Of The Opera
Posted by Wicked_Elphie 2004-02-22 02:52:36

I really like Phantom and I've seen it 3 times in NY and I am def looking forward to seeing Patrick Wilson in the upcoming movie!! yuuummm!!

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Phantom Of The Opera
Posted by racerchiquita76m 2004-02-22 10:05:21

I like the music...but for some reason (and I'm not sure why) I just wasn't extremely impressed when I saw it on Broadway. I do like the cast recording a lot, though.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Phantom Of The Opera
Posted by ChristineDaae 2004-02-22 13:41:53

Faith2- I'm a Phantom lover! How long have you been a fan? I love everything about POTO, It's a great show.

Posted by GottaGimmick 2004-02-22 20:44:42

I'm a total Phan! I love it!!!!!

Posted by Broadwaylilhead 2004-02-22 20:53:13

I've seen the show 5 times with five different casts....

Posted by Phantess 2004-02-22 22:37:36

I'm definately a fan. Nothing else to say.

Posted by johny0828 2004-02-22 23:01:08

it was my first show i saw, its kind a speical to me. and the music was my first show cd.

Posted by Sally 2004-02-23 01:24:10

I like it and have seen it in Chicago, Milwaukee, and NYC.

Posted by Faith2 2004-02-23 07:17:31

Thanks everyone for posting on my *very first* topic on this board. It is so interesting and so much fun reading what other Phantom lovers have to say.

I cannot remember when I first saw and heard the Phantom, (yes, it's been that long ago), LOL, but from the very beginning it was love at first sight! (Speaking of love at first sight...has anyone seen the 70's - 80's (?) film, "Love At First Bite" with George Hamilton, etc??? It was just on cable here last week, and I saw it again...it is hilarious)!

Anyway, I have been an Andrew Lloyd Webber fan for as long as I can remember, and I have just about every book that I can find on ALW and his work, and I basically saw Phantom for the first time because it is ALW's work and music...but there's more to it than that...I have a real facination for the Phantom story somehow.....does anyone else?!

Love,
Faith2
Phantom Lover

Posted by Rustystarlight 2004-02-23 07:55:09

Phantom's allmost died in the UK. None of the yonger people seem to give a damm. It's mainly the older people and visiting posh peeps. This is a shame becuase it's fantastic.
Hopefully once the film is out more people will be intrested in seeing the actual thing.

Posted by Phantom3 2004-02-23 17:05:00

I LOVE THE SHOW I have seen It Twice, Once in Portland and Once in Seattle. My Favorite Phantom of the Opera is Brad Little he is the best that I have seen!!!!

Posted by Broadwaylilhead 2004-02-23 17:46:20

Uh-Oh... we have another Phantom... hope we don't get confused between Phantom2 and Phantom3.... who is Phantom1?

Posted by Michelleruth 2004-02-23 19:13:56

I've seen Phantom on Broadway with Hugh Panero. I LOVE the music, but I'm afraid to say that a lot of the show disappointed me.........I only seemed to really enjoy the scenes which involved the Phantom. The special effects were great!

Posted by Faith2 2004-02-23 20:11:05

That's pretty funny, Broadwaylilhead, about Phantoms 2 and 3..LOL!

It makes me wonder who the other Faith is?????

Posted by eponine88 2004-02-23 20:28:11

I just saw Phantom on Broadway Thursday nite and I loved it! POTO was the first cast album I ever listened to, and I had the whole thing memorized by the time I was 4. But wow!!!! What a great experience!!!!!! Plus I had great seats- center orchestra, second row. I can't wait to see how the movie turns out!

Posted by Bonnie 2004-02-24 09:01:06

Phantom 2 and 3, well I've gotta laught, my email is phantom13.

Bonnie in Oz

Posted by joeyjoe 2004-02-24 15:04:25

i got a headache

Posted by SueleenGay 2004-02-24 15:10:39

Last night I was having dinner next to the alley where PHANTOM will be playing here in Chicago. The massive trucks were unloading the show as we ate and I swear to goodness I saw Michael Crawford carrying a huge box that read "CHANDELIER: VERY FRAGILE, HANDLE WITH CARE."

Posted by Faith2 2004-02-24 21:29:02

SueleenGay...that is soooo funny, I had a good laugh, thanks! LOL!

joeyjoe...sorry about your headache, but I love your signature.

"A beautiful person may still be ugly inside, but a malformed body may contain a perfect heart "

Posted by Musetta1957 2004-02-24 21:37:05

Well, as far as we know, there was nothing wrong with the Phantom's actual body. It was the part above it.

Posted by Phantom05 2004-02-24 21:49:50

There are a lot of different "Phantom's" on this board, but don't forget me, I'm "Phantom05"....Hehehe!!!

See Ya!

Phantom05

Posted by Faith2 2004-02-25 05:33:32

Will all the Phantoms of this board please sign in.....LOL!

Posted by EddieVarley 2004-02-25 09:26:14

Well long ago I was lucky enough to play "The Phantom" in a tour of the Ken Hill version, which uses existing classic opera as it's score and plays up the humor...in this one the Phantom really doesn't appear until the very last moments of the first act, when I finally made my entrance, bringing Christine to my lair in the boat, a woman yelled out, "WHEN YOU GONNA SING MUSIC OF THE NIGHT FOR GOD'S SAKE?!!!"..needeless to say it nearly impossible to hold my laughter and shock in, sadly this happened a great deal, people never understood it was not the ALW production. All in all a fun if frustrating tour.

Posted by PB ENT.2 2004-02-25 10:08:49

Can't resist an ole POTO post now and then...

Seen it more than I care to mention...not that's there's anything wrong with that. It's a winner,,,people just love to mock success! It remains one of the most "coveted" roles among the guys! It's my standard question , lol!

Sueellen...I swear, if you make fluids continue to ooze from my nose one more time, you will owe me a new keyboard. MC carrying the chandlier! "saying " I can do this, ya know".

Eddie~ my theater pal Kevin Gray, woh also did ALW's POTO played in Ken Hill's show and has some funneeeee stories. He sometimes combines both (for friends!)

Posted by EddieVarley 2004-02-25 10:17:12

I met Kevin years ago when he stopped in Philly on the Phantom tour, a great guy and a very powerful Phantom, he did the Ken Hill production in SF right? It's funny because the KH Phantom is very fun, but OH, the people who didn't know that it was an alternate version! HAHA...

Posted by WestEndBird 2004-02-26 20:56:44

A close personal friend of mine was a HUGE Phantom fan and actually was involved in a production of it...so he turned me on to it and I have LOVED it ever since!