WAKE UP with BWW 12/8/14 - GYPSY OF THE YEAR, INVISIBLE HAND and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: BC/EFA hosts its GYPSY OF THE YEAR celebration, THE INVISIBLE HAND makes its NYC debut and more!
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- Tonight, BC/EFA celebrates its 2014 GYPSY OF THE YEAR and honors THE WIZ's 40th anniversary!
- THE INVISIBLE HAND opens tonight at New York Theatre Workshop.
- John O'Hurley returns to Broadway's CHICAGO tonight!
- Alice Ripley, Michael Cerveris and more will appear in Transport Group's GIMME A BREAK Gala this evening...
- And the stars of Broadway's A DELICATE BALANCE appear as part of "TimesTalks" tonight!
NEWS YOU MISSED THIS WEEKEND:
- MATILDA has recouped on Broadway!
- Rita Wilson, MaryLouise Burke, Ben Shenkman and more have signed on for Larry David's A FISH IN THE DARK!
- Nic Rouleau and Brian Sears will join THE BOOK OF MORMON in London.
- We got a first look (right) at Chris Mann and Katie Travis in THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA tour!
- The KING KONG musical is on the hunt for a new Broadway director...
- ALADDIN, BEAUTIFUL, HEDWIG are among the 2015 GRAMMY nominees for Best Musical Theater Album!
- And if you missed PETER PAN LIVE! last week (or just want to watch it again) catch it on NBC this Saturday!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Mostly cloudy with a high of 37 degrees. Rain late tonight.
Quote of the Day: In honor of DISGRACED kicking off its "Tweet Week," here are some thoughts on cynicism from Josh Radnor...
"I think the word 'earnest' kind of has a negative connotation on some level. I think one of the things that's happened is that being cynical is somehow conflated with being sophisticated. I think that's problematic, to say the least."
--Josh Radnor (via BrainyQuote)
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Graciela Daniele, who turns 75 today!
Tony nominee Daniele made her Broadway debut in What Makes Sammy Run? in 1964 and studied with acclaimed dancer/choreographers Martha Graham, Merce Cunningham, Bob Fosse, Agnes de Mille, Michael Bennett and more. Her first official job as choreographer was 1979's The Most Happy Fella. Among her other Broadway choreographing credits are Pal Joey, The Pirate Queen, Chita Rivera: The Dancer's Life, Marie Christine, Annie Get Your Gun, Ragtime, Chronicle of a Death Foretold, The Goodbye Girl, Once on This Island, Dangerous Games, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, The Rink, Zorba, The Pirates of Penzance and more. Daniele also worked with Woody Allen on the movie Bullets Over Broadway.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!