WAKE UP with BWW 11/14/14 - A CHRISTMAS STORY on Tour, THE RIVER and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? This weekend's big news: A CHRISTMAS STORY heads out on tour today, and Signature's OUR LADY OF KIBEHO and Broadway's THE RIVER open Sunday night!
Next up in our series of Broadway stars introducing BWW's morning feature is Will Pullen (portrait by Walter McBride), who is currently appearing in PUNK ROCK and has also acted off-Broadway in THE WAYSIDE MOTOR INN and YOUR MOTHER'S COPY OF THE KAMA SUTRA.
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP ITEMS:
- A CHRISTMAS STORY, THE MUSICAL national tour kicks off today in Kentucky!
- THIS IS OUR YOUTH's Michael Cera, Kieran Culkin and Tavi Gevinson will appear at today's TimesTalk.
- Set your DVR! Sutton Foster appears on TLC's SAY YES TO THE DRESS, and Kristin Chenoweth sits down with David Letterman tonight!
- This Sunday, Michael Mayer and Rick Miramontez will be honored at New York Stage & Film's 2014 Gala.
- And Signature's OUR LADY OF KIBEHO (more here) and Broadway's THE RIVER, starring Hugh Jackman, open on Sunday night!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- The first rulings for the 2015 Tony Awards were announced, and the committee is reviewing its sound design decision for next year!
- Matthew Broderick will be staying with IT'S ONLY A PLAY for the extension.
- We got a first look (right) at Alan Alda and Candice Bergen in LOVE LETTERS and learned they will be extending their appearance!
- Hani Furstenberg will be CABARET's next 'Fraulein Kost' on Broadway.
- GILMORE GIRLS star Alexis Bledel has joined next Monday's SIN CYCLE PLAYS!
- The Lucie Arnaz-helmed HAZEL, which held a reading earlier this year, is now Broadway-bound.
- And across the pond, Donmar's MY NIGHT WITH REG is moving to the West End; plus, Michael Ball is set to star in MACK & MABEL at Chichester!
Broadway Weather Forecast: High of 44 and sunny today and tomorrow, with some clouds on Sunday.
Quote of the Day: THE RIVER's Hugh Jackman on "philosophy"...
"The word philosophy sounds high-minded, but it simply means the love of wisdom. If you love something, you don't just read about it; you hug it, you mess with it, you play with it, you argue with it."
-- Hugh Jackman (via BrainyQuote)
Video of the Day: CHICAGO marks its 18th year on Broadway today -- watch a montage with footage from the show below!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Danny Gurwin, who turns 42 today!
Gurwin last appeared on Broadway in 2005's Little Women, and before that, in Urinetown, The Full Monty and The Scarlet Pimpernel. Among his off-Broadway credits are The Thing About Men, Forbidden Broadway 2001: A Spoof Odyssey, Kuni-Lemi, A New Brain and R & J.
See you bright and early on Monday, BroadwayWorld!