Joe's Pub Reflects on 15th Anniversary Season; Preps for 2014
In 2013 Joe's Pub at The Public launched its 15th Anniversary season and was named one of the top ten music venues in the country by Rolling Stone magazine. It was a busy year, and there are no signs of slowing down in 2014. With a new sound system, record-setting ticket sales and some of the most eclectic programming New York City has to offer, Joe's Pub continues to set the standard for showcase venues worldwide.
"This year has been a whirlwind. We exceeded our expectations in all areas," said Joe's Pub at The Public Director, Shanta Thake. "Diversity is a cornerstone of The Public Theater's mission and our goal in 2014 is to make sure that our room continues to be a reflection of the city that it serves."
Joe's Pub 2013 Highlights:
- Allen Toussaint: The New Orleans jazz icon received a 2013 Grammy nomination for his new album Songbook, recorded live at Joe's Pub.
- ROLLING STONE: Joe's Pub ranked #8 in the magazine's list of top music venues in the country.
- PUBLIC FORUM: The Public Theater's Public Forum series continues to present conversations and performances with leading voices in politics, media, and the arts in Joe's Pub.
- POLLSTAR: Joe's Pub had the highest ranking ticket sales among non-profit music venues.
- New York Voices: Bridget Everett's Rock Bottom and Abigail Washburn's Post-American Girl premiered as part of the annual commissioning series.
- SOUND SYSTEM: A new state-of-the-art sound system.
- TUMBLR ARTIST SEARCH: Visual artists on Tumblr were invited to attend and live draw a concert at Joe's Pub. (Sketches were featured on http://joespub.tumblr.com/.)
- MICHAEL ARTHUR EXHIBIT: An exhibit featuring the work of archival artist Michael Arthur was mounted on the mezzanine level at The Public Theater featuring drawings of Alicia Keys, Lou Reed, Mike Daisey and more.
- HBO GIRLS: Scenes from the upcoming season of the HBO series Girls were filmed at Joe's Pub with special guest Patti LuPone.
- COMEDY CENTRAL INSIDE AMY SCHUMER: Two seasons of the sketch comedy were filmed at Joe's Pub.
- MAKE MUSIC NEW YORK: Joe's Pub partnered with the non-profit, outdoor music festival for the fourth year, this year showcasing the Beck Song Reader.
- 2013 RESIDENCIES: Bridget Everett, Justin VivIan Bond, Never Sleep Alone, New York Theremin Society, Champagne Jerry, Julie Klausner, The Hot Sardines, Mike Daisey, Reverend Billy, Jackie Hoffman, Sandra Bernhard, Pam Ann, Joey Arias, Noche Flamenca, Mother Falcon, Diane Birch, Henry Butler, Abigail Washburn and Freestyle Love Supreme.
- PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS: Bernhoft, BOY, Megan Hilty, Glamour These Girls (Dianna Argon, Zosia Mamet, Amy Poehler, Alexa Chung and Emma Roberts), Lily & Madeleine, Ed Kowalczyk, Son Lux, Nikki M. James, Ben Allison, The Relatives, Gabriel Kahane, Lindi Ortega, Bettye Lavette, Lea DeLaria, Richard Thompson, Murray Hill, Lucy Rose, Lady, Cristin Milioti, Willis Earl Beal, Johnette Napolitano, Capital Cities, Aloe Black, Valerie June, Craig Morgan, Deana Carter and Brett Eldredge.
Visit us at www.joespub.com for a complete list of shows. For tickets, go online, call 212-967-7555, or visit in person at The Taub Box Office at The Public Theater (1 PM to 6 PM) located at 425 Lafayette Street, NYC.
Named for Public Theater founder Joe Papp, Joe's Pub debuted in 1998 and plays a vital role in The Public's mission of supporting young artists while providing established artists with an intimate space to perform and develop new work. In 2013, Joe's Pub celebrates 15 years of the best in live music and performance nightly, continuing its commitment to diversity, production values, community and artistic freedom. It received a top-to-bottom renovation in 2011, leading to improved sightlines, expanded seating capacity and a new menu from acclaimed Chef Andrew Carmellini. With its intimate atmosphere and superior acoustics, Joe's Pub presents talent from all over the world as part of The Public's programming downtown at its Astor Place home, hosting approximately 800 shows and serving over 100,000 audience members annually. www.joespub.com
Under the leadership of Artistic Director Oskar Eustis and Executive Director Patrick Willingham, The Public Theater is the only theater in New York that produces Shakespeare and the classics, musicals, contemporary and experimental pieces in equal measure. The Public continues the work of its visionary founder, Joe Papp, by acting as an advocate for the theater as an essential cultural force, and leading and framing dialogue on some of the most important issues of our day. Creating theater for one of the largest and most diverse audience bases in New York City for nearly 60 years, today the Company engages audiences in a variety of venues-including its landmark downtown home at Astor Place, which houses five theaters and Joe's Pub; the Delacorte Theater in Central Park, home to its beloved, free Shakespeare in the Park; and the Mobile Unit, which tours Shakespearean productions for underserved audiences throughout New York City's five boroughs. The Public's wide range of programming includes free Shakespeare in the Park, the bedrock of the Company's dedication to making theater accessible to all, new and experimental stagings at The Public at Astor Place, and a range of artist and audience development initiatives including its Public Forum series, which brings together theater artists and professionals from a variety of disciplines for discussions that shed light on social issues explored in Public productions. The Public Theater is located on property owned by the City of New York and receives annual support from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs. The LuEsther T. Mertz Charitable Trust provides leadership support for The Public Theater's year-round activities. www.publictheater