Jane Lynch wants to play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway

qolbinau
Broadway Legend
But she acknowledges the timing isn't right because "It's been done a lot lately in New York" and "Nobody's asked her, either".

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/192655-Glee-Star-Jane-Lynch-Reveals-the-Broadway-Roles-Shed-Love-to-Play-Next

Updated On: 6/20/14 at 08:28 PM
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
No thank you.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
BobbyBubbi
Featured Actor
Right after Streisand gets around to making that movie version.
little_sally
Broadway Legend
Am I the only one who would actually like to see this? It would work regionally, perhaps.
A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
What region? Some alternate universe?
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
It's best to know one's limits. There's no auto-tune for Rose's Turn. I think Glee has somehow made some of these actors think they are triple threats.

I'd pay top dollar to see her as one of the strippers though.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
east side story
Leading Actor
Finding any actress who would NOT want to play that role would be more noteworthy.
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
These nay nays remind me of the response when Tyne was in rehearsals to play Rose..

And most people thought that was a huge success. I wouldn't go that far, but that's beside the point. The point - and I do have one - is oh ye of little faith.
haterobics
Broadway Legend
"The point - and I do have one - is oh ye of little faith."

I thought the point was that she just said a bunch of roles she'd like to play in a random interview, not that any of them are happening?
formerly oasisjeff on here.
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
I agree, who doesn't want to play Rose, female or male?
gleek4114
Broadway Star
She played the stripper Electra when she was in college. She talks about it in her book.
veronicamae
Featured Actor
SweeneyLovett
Chorus Member
It's too soon now, but in a few years, I'd love to see her tackle the role. I think she'd be great. She was terrific in Annie and showcased quite a nice voice without auto tune. There have certainly been worse singers that have played the role.

I think a regional production or a benefit concert might be best, though.
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Her singing voice is certainly more pleasant than Tyne's.
#sadandtransparent
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
I'd actually be more interested in seeing her play Mame or Auntie Mame, both of which she also mentions.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
~Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
~Walt Disney

My name is neither "adam" nor "greer."
madbrian
Broadway Legend
She seems more like a Vera than a Mame.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Brick
Broadway Legend
^I agree.
g.d.e.l.g.i.
Broadway Legend
She might make a better Rose for the screen than Streisand, but I don't think a major studio would back that.
Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, FindingNamo, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
She'd be great in "Anyone Can Whistle."
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Gary Shandling
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
Personally, I'd love to see Lynch tackle Ruth in WONDERFUL TOWN.
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Adair Haywind
Featured Actor
I saw Jane in Annie last summer and didn't mind her singing at all. I'd be interested in seeing her tackle Mama Rose. Maybe if the Hollywood Bowl ever did Gypsy?
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
"Personally, I'd love to see Lynch tackle Ruth in WONDERFUL TOWN."

Which is a perfect role for her.

A lot of actresses want to play Gypsy because they can make a huge splash in the role. But any actress can make a huge splash in that role because that's the way the material is written.

An actress can make a huge splash as Ruth in Wonderful Town, but she's required to actually have talent. It's in the material, but the actress has to draw it out.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
Vera and Ruth. Now THOSE are much more sensible choices for Lynch.
Eris0303
Broadway Legend
I saw Jane Lynch in Annie and I thought she was good but I also thought Faith Prince was infinitely better.

I'd like to see Jane come back to Broadway but maybe not as Mama Rose. Vera is a great suggestion though.
"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Just what we need. The 1000 th revival of Gypsy.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
What revival, Mr. Roxy? She clearly states it's been too soon and that no one has asked her. And the thread title clearly says she WANTS to play the role, not that she will or is expected to or is in talks for it.
I think it'd be interesting casting. Nothing about her jumps at me in terms of thinking she'd be particularly great at it, but she's got great instincts, give her a good director and she might turn in something surprising. Maybe somewhere like the Papermill?
Somethingwicked, you're full of brilliant casting ideas this week! Donna Murphy in MASTER CLASS! Jane Lynch as Ruth in WONDERFUL TOWN! Genius.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Page: