He Forgave Me

WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Can anyone who saw the show in early previews or at Williamstown elaborate on what exactly the context was? And maybe even what the song sounded like a little? Was it just extraneous to the plot, not a good song, etc?
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
He Forgave Me
Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:43pm
It's sung by Francesca's sister in act 2. It was out of place, took me out of the current story being presented, and as a user said in another Bridges thread "The song doesn't work fundamentally because the character encouraging Francesca to seek forgiveness is a pretty vile one that we've been taught not to like. And so we may associate Francesca's affair with her sister's many lovers."
nomore.org
mamaleh
Broadway Star
He Forgave Me
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:51am
That number, which I saw in Williamstown last summer, took me out of the show and curiously into NINE. It was a good song and performed well, just not right for the flow and tone of the show. I'm glad it was cut.
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
He Forgave Me
Posted: 4/25/14 at 01:20am
A friend in the show on B'way said it was a huge decision to cut it. Sher/Brown went back and forth on it.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
He Forgave Me
Posted: 4/25/14 at 02:54am
It is a shame it probably not on the upcoming cast album recording.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
E.Davis
Broadway Legend
He Forgave Me
Posted: 4/25/14 at 03:02am
I saw it in the first weekend of previews and I understand why they cut it, but it was such a good song and a nice moment for Whitney Bashor who is excellent in both of her roles.
"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-
tazber
Broadway Legend
He Forgave Me
Posted: 4/25/14 at 06:01am
I don't think it's on the cd Roxy, but I'm sure someone will record it for a solo album (Lauren Kennedy? JRB himself?).
....but the world goes 'round

BROADWAYWORLD TV