Devil Wears Prada Musical casting ideas

BroadwayBryce
Swing
I heard that there is some devil wears prada musical in the pre production stages and was just curious if anyone had any possible fun ideas on casting? I could see Lupone as Priestly and Jeremy Jordan as Andrea's boyfriend, and Alli mauzey as emily, anyone else have any ideas? I could kind of see Jesse Mueller as andrea just cause she slightly reminds me of Anne Hathaway.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Jan Maxwell for Miranda.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
They'll make a damn musical out of anything.

blaxx
Broadway Legend
They can't do this before Goonies, Gremlins, Nightmare on Elm Street, Ferris Bueller, Indiana Jones, Pretty in Pink, Ghostbusters and Karate Kid.

They have to go in order.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
BroadwayBryce
Swing
I totally agree, i was just curious about casting ideas haha
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
I'd like them to go non traditional with casting this.

Ivy Winters for Andy and Linda Hunt for Miranda.
Wynbish
Broadway Legend
Oh my gosh, you guys. You know Meryl and Anne can totally sing and would totally do it.

I mean... totally rude, guys.
nasty_khakis
Broadway Star
Before I even opened the thread my mind said "Jan Maxwell or nothing..."
Visceral_Fella
Broadway Star
I wish Laura Benanti was old enough to be Miranda. If not her then I'd actually chose Idina.

I think Sierra Boggess would be good as Andrea, or maybe Laura Osnes with Megan Hilty as Emily. Alli Mauzey is good too though.

Updated On: 2/19/14 at 12:54 AM
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Benanti would be a good Emily. LuPone would be the only choice for Miranda I think.
Jon
Broadway Legend
Donna Murphy as Miranda.
tazber
Broadway Legend
Lupone was born to play Miranda.
....but the world goes 'round
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
"I heard that there is some devil wears prada musical in the pre production stages"

Where did you hear this?
It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies. - Mike Royko, Columnist & Pulitzer Prize winner
tazber
Broadway Legend
Apparently ALW is working on it.
Link
....but the world goes 'round
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
LOL. Love that, Taz
It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies. - Mike Royko, Columnist & Pulitzer Prize winner
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
"Lupone was born to play Miranda."

Having met Anna Wintour on several occasions, and based on the way Meryl played Miranda in the movie, I would argue against LuPone. Miranda's power was in her icy coldness, whereas LuPone to me is all fiery passion. The characters didn't fear Miranda's outbursts in the film, but rather her cold, caustic comments, silences, and dismissals.

I would agree with those who've voiced approval for Jan Maxwell.
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Ute Lemper?
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Ute Lemper is ridiculously inspired.
I'll bite. Patti LuPone couldn't be more wrong for Miranda if she tried. Miranda is economical with her words, very measured, and quiet. Notice that, at least in the film, she never screams; the brilliance of Streep's performance in the movie is that she is saying the meanest things possible with the same tone of voice she might use to speak to her children. LuPone commands the stage by being loud, brassy, and a force. She would be terribly miscast as Miranda. Donna Murphy, Jan Maxwell, Bebe Neuwirth and Barbara Walsh are more the type of actress that would make sense for a role like this.
And Jordan, from what I've read about Linda Hunt, it wouldn't be much of a stretch for her to play Miranda. Of course I'd prefer Chad Michaels.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
BewareTheUndertoad
Chorus Member
I love the idea of Jan Maxwell but what about Bernadette? She's got glamour in her bones and it would be fun to see her play against type as an ice queen!

ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
There's a fine line between miscast and casting against type. If Bernadette was willing to audition (which she did for Woody Allen, but I doubt someone of his stature would be involved in this musical...if the musical is even happening, which I assume it isn't), then she should. I wouldn't cast her without auditioning her for this as her acting as of late has gotten a little mannered. I don't see Peters' cutie pie voice connecting with the iciness of Miranda. Basically, IMO, if you have played Sally in FOLLIES, you are probably wrong for Miranda. If you are a good Phyllis, then you are probably good for the role, but then again, I think about most things in terms of Sally and Phyllis.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Can Alaska Thunderfvck sing?
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
blacktie
Chorus Member
Given her timbre and years of finessing this type of character, I think Vanessa Williams would be ideal.
Matt Rogers
Broadway Star
I like the idea of Vanessa but she already played a variation of this character on Ugly Betty for years, so I wouldn't count on it..........
Visceral_Fella
Broadway Star
Wow, Vanessa is actually a great idea.
bwayboy22
Stand-by
Glenn Close...that is all.
Famebroadway2
Leading Actor

Updated On: 2/20/14 at 10:11 PM

Page: