Page: 1

Whats on stage awards shortlist

jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Whats on stage awards shortlist#1
Posted: 12/5/08 at 10:28am
You know before when its a bad year for musicals was brought up, Darius has a nomination (okay he wasnt bad but come on ).

Am most excited by the director category, Mama must be pleased Emma Rice is up for Brief Encounter against all the heavyweights for their plays.
WOS noms
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#2
Posted: 12/5/08 at 11:12am
It's a sad day when Karen Bruce is beating Matthew Bourne when it comes to choreography..a sad sad day re: Whats on stage awards shortlist

Never Forget could snag 3 of these awards easily, i mean don't get me wrong its an enjoyable show, but not award worthy!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#2
Posted: 12/5/08 at 2:51pm
I'm pleased to see six nominations for the Histories Cycle, although it's endlessly frustrating to see Jonathan Slinger continue to be unappreciated for it. re: Whats on stage awards shortlist

Absolutely TERRIBLE year for musicals. 'La Cage aux Folles' and 'Zorro' are my picks, earning my vote in every single musical category (except Best Actress, where I voted for Elena Roger in a pitiful attempt to make sure the overrated Ruthie Henshall doesn't win for the lacklustre 'Marguerite'; I figure Roger has the best chance against the Ruthie fangirls!).

At least it's just the TheatreGoers Choice Awards, which means if rubbish people win prizes, I can mutter around saying "well, people are idiots anyway!".

Actually, for musicals, I will say that Tracie Bennett vs Lesli Margherita is going to be QUITE the competition to watch! Both awesome, although the latter did just pip the former for my vote. :3
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#3
Posted: 12/5/08 at 3:02pm
I voted Eurobeat for musical, Elena Roger for Actress/Musical, and the overlooked Rolan Bell for Actor/Musical. Very sad to see Betwixt got snubbed for Fringe, and WTF people, RSC Hamlet is in London now, how the hell did it qualify for regional? Needless to say I voted for The Music Man.

Oh, and Black Watch for Ensemble, August for Play, and Brief Encounter for the design awards. And Bourne for choreographer 'cuz he's a nice bloke on top of his excellent work.
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#4
Posted: 12/5/08 at 3:27pm
I don't think RSC Hamlet opened in London in time for the nominating. They closed at the end of November. I voted for it for regional anyway; it's going to steamroller the others, and I figure I'll be less annoyed if I know it's partially my fault. XD
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#5
Posted: 12/5/08 at 3:54pm
I voted for Lesli Margherita, she was just fabulous (and has quite a lot more to do than Tracie Bennet re: Whats on stage awards shortlist ) For musicals my votes go to Jersey Boys, Zorro and La Cage, my new favourite shows =P
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#6
Posted: 12/5/08 at 3:56pm
Best New Musical...my vote went to Never Forget.

deffinitely not!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#7
Posted: 12/5/08 at 3:58pm
I'm leaving voting 'til January because I'm still hoping to see Cage, Conquests and August.

I'm now miffed that I missed Glass Menagerie since the only other thing in the regional category I have seen and could legitimately vote for is The Music Man (and I really don't want to give Exedore that satisfaction). Why the hell aren't Funny Girl and Sunset there in its place?
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#8
Posted: 12/5/08 at 4:02pm
I must admit i was expecting to see Funny Girl there! I have a feeling they're saving Sunset for next year, for something like Revival...as well as various other acting awards.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#9
Posted: 12/5/08 at 5:02pm
"the only other thing in the regional category I have seen and could legitimately vote for is The Music Man (and I really don't want to give Exedore that satisfaction)."

Luv ya too, hon. Any word on if MM is still slated to take the Novello following the RSC?
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#10
Posted: 1/22/09 at 5:20pm
I did vote for The Music Man Exey! I couldn't bring myself to vote for Calendar Girls, which was the only other thing I'd seen in the regional category.

I actually voted for a lot of the other things you voted for as well.

Hoping your laptop is feeling better...

exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#11
Posted: 1/22/09 at 5:48pm
I just got it back this afternoon, thankfully! It seems to be working OK now but I haven't really checked my windows partition so we'll see how that works tomorrow morning - tonight is catching up and blasting away on City of Heroes. =)

And thanks for Music Man, even if Hamlet's going to steamroller.
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#12
Posted: 1/22/09 at 5:50pm
can anyone post the link for the page where you can see whos winning what atm? just interested to see how the votings going. Ta :)
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#13
Posted: 1/22/09 at 5:53pm
http://www.whatsonstage.com/surveys/stats.php?sid=24&st=a&vw=a is the link, but I can't access it anymore. Lemme know if you can!
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#14
Posted: 1/22/09 at 5:56pm
I can't access it.

I assumed they weren't showing how the voting was going anymore.
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Whats on stage awards shortlist#15
Posted: 1/22/09 at 6:03pm
Nope..asked for some questionnaire password...bad times