Page: 1

Last Two weeks in london...what should i see?

dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hi everyone!
So I am spending my last two weeks in london and I need to cram in as many shows as possible. Here is roughly what i have seen here:
No Mans Land
Oedipus
War Horse
Zorro
Marguerite
Blood Brothers
Brief Encounter
Under the Blue Sky
Jersey Boys (cause i can't get tix in nyc)
Piaf
The Walworth Farce
Billy Elliot

I am sure I have missed some, but this is roughly what i can remember.

There are three musicals and a play i would like to see already
La Cage Aux Follies
A Little Night Music
Carousel
August Osage county (because i love that original cast so much)

Any thoughts on other shows i should consider?
Thanks
David
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Pantomime and something bizarre and fringe-y.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Imagine this.. will probs be ur only chance to ever see it so why not!
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
thanks guys!

ugg i saw a fringe play here. In the Balance in hampstead's new end theatre. Not enjoyable. Not sure if i want to venture into that sector again.

I have been debating imagine this, but i feel like my other three might be more important. When is the next time carousel is going to be done in the states? La Cage Aux Follies? These are classics i probably should see. however, if i do have an extra day maybe i will do it. The music is very pretty.
Sister George Profile PhotoSister George Profile Photo
Sister George
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I'd def. recommend La Clique - you can get standing tickets for a tenner and it does a Sunday show at 6 and 10.30 on a Saturday night.

There's also Matthew Bourne's production of Edward Scissorhands (which I haven't seen) which opens at Sadler's Wells from tomorrow.

Also Sunset Boulevard starts previewing from the 4th of December.
"I tend to think if god wanted us to believe in him, he'd exist" Linda Smith
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
AHH! Sunset Boulevard! I comepletely forgot about that one. That is definitely on my list! in fact its pretty much at the front of the line!
thanks for reminding me!
Sister George
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Also the Norman Conquests at The Old Vic?

Or for comedy Bill Bailey and Eddie Izzard?
Sister George
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
and if the Old Vic doesn't tickle your fancy then there is the Young Vic which has Amazonia
http://www.amazonia-london.com
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
ahh man thank you sister, you are reminding me of soo much!...there is so much going on in london. The norman conquests are a must i believe, and I love eddie izzard. How are the ticket prices for his show? anyone know if there is a student rush?
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Kerry Ellis is back in WICKED. She gives a performance that is not to be missed.
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
Sister George
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I believe the Norman Conquests are great (but not seen - tho a few on this board have and I think have praised/raved) and I think Eddie Izzard is pretty pricey to be honest.

(oh and if you go to La Clique I'd go after 5 December when Camille O'Sullivan is in the show - http://www.lacliquelondon.com )
BroadwayPenguin2
Stand-by
Stand-by
August: Osage County and A Little Night Music.

You can get 10 tickets through the National.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hello Dave

I take it you are from New York and have seen Hairspray? If not really worth a venture.

You mentioned Jersey Boys, if you go to the Box office in the day and mention the "20 Jersey Boys offer", you make a saving of 40 on a ticket, I would only recommend you do this Monday to Thursday though.

If you have not seen it in New York, I would certainly recommend Les Miserable.

Joseph and the The Sound of Music maybe worth a visit, where tickets are available at TKTS! La Cage is also available, Website below.

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts/

dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Update.
Thanks everyone for responding!
Phamtom, I have seen hairspray twice in nyc, so I will pace. I did student tickets for jersey boys and it was amazing here! Glad i got to see it since i can't really in nyc!

Sister,
I think i will see one of the norman conquests this week! Thank you for reccomending that I had almost forgotten about it.

So last night I saw Carousel and can say that it is a mostly fantastic revival. I had never seen the show before, but was really blown away. The projections are at times stunning and innovative, like the carousel in the beginning of the show, which uses as far as i can tell dual projections and the cast put in between them. It was surpisingly effective. Sadly later in the show some of them are downright awful because of just how generic they are. The water near the house where the girls worked looked like a pool!

Alexandra Sibler has a goregous voice and acted the part of Julie Jordan beautifully. Jeramiah James has a voice that fills the theatre and then some as her husband. An incredible performance. Lindsay Posner is the week link, playing Nettie with waay to much gee wiz and turning her character into a cartoon.

Overall its an incredible show and I encourage everyone to see it. I hope very much that with the sucess of south pacific that they bring this to broadway.

Todays shows:
August Osage country-10 pound day seats....got there at 935 and still got two yea!
La Cage Aux Follies...terrible seats, but im in the theatre!

left?
Sunset Boulevard
The Noramn Conquests
A little night music...if i can get a ticket
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
August Osage County at the national is still the incredible play that I saw almost a year ago in new york. The cast is still in fine form, though I missed the incredible Rondi Reed as I guess she was out all weekend. Her understudy simply couldn't compete with her performance, though she did an admirable job. The new cast memebers that have been brought in for this run are all fantastic and the new set also work quite well.

I highly recommend this, and with 10 pound tickets easily available, there is no way any theatre lover should not see this how.

La Cage Aux Follies was a joy. Simply incredible and the audience was wild. I would not recommend the 17.50 seats in the upper gallery however, as you really are barely in the theatre. Obviously getting a caberet table would be the way to do it, but I certainly could not afford a 57.50 ticket. Regardless I still thoroughly enjoyed the show. Hilarious, touching, and with a top notch cast it is definitely one of the must see shows on the west end and one of my favorites that I have seen over here.

I may have to see War Horse again this week because I love it so much. Otherwise I am still going for Sunset Boulevard and A Little Night Music. Possibly the normal conquests as well though all the shows this week appear to be sold out online.

Updated On: 12/7/08 at 11:41 AM
gremley
Swing
Swing
I am a huge fan of Avenue Q myself. Seen it a few times.

Page: 1