Page: 1

Gypsy in London

BroadwayNYC
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Gypsy in London#0
Posted: 1/12/04 at 6:40pm
I'm just curious...has anyone heard talks about bringing Gypsy with Bernadette Peters to London? Or will it open in London with another leading lady? It's my favorite musical and I've already seen it 3 times here in NYC!
I HATE to see it go but I do recall reading that it was either suppose to open there (London) first for a run and then come back here to NYC, but obviously it opened here first. Just curious...
"Everything's coming up roses, this time for me!"
popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy in London#1
Posted: 1/16/04 at 7:09am
It will never happen, sadly.

It was initially supposed to open at the National Theatre and then transfer to Broadway, but for some reason they decided to reverse the process. And then Sam Mendes and pretty much everyone had such a hateful time opening it in NYC, that they all vowed never again. Shame.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
BroadwayNYC
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: Gypsy in London#2
Posted: 1/17/04 at 4:00pm
I don't know what you mean about everyone having a hateful time opening it in NYC, but it's pretty successful and there are talks going on about Bernadette Peters extending her contract till Sept 04.
I just thought it might also make its way to the West End, or quite possibly with another leading lady.
Anyway, I'm glad it opened here first! Too bad the cold weather here in NYC will prevent me from seeing it for the 4th time....at least for the next couple weeks!
I say you come to NYC and see it here!
"Everything's coming up roses, this time for me!"
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Gypsy in London#3
Posted: 5/1/04 at 9:55pm
Broadwaynyc,
Don't be a lying hussy. The revival is a big flop in NY. It was going to close two months ago but they decided to give it another go. It is now closing May 30th. The majority felt bernadette was miscast in the role and the production ws mediocre at best. However .. you will find alot of people in the broadway board that are a bit fanatical ( Broadwaynyc) and have convinced themselves it is great.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 5/1/04 at 09:55 PM
TheTruth2 Profile PhotoTheTruth2 Profile Photo
TheTruth2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: re: re: Gypsy in London#4
Posted: 7/22/04 at 9:55am
That was the most disgusting thing I have ever read. The only dissatisfying aspect of the new production of GYPSY was that Arthur Laurents was not supportive. And why should he be? He wasn't the director, as he was with the previous two Broadway productions. While few did feel Ms. Peters was miscast, many of them never saw the show to prove it for themselves. GYPSY ran for an entire year. That is huge, considering the current teenybopper trend on Broadway. Bernadette Peters grew into Rose Hovick like you've never seen before. It is one of the most life changing theatrical events of my life. I hope Bernadette Peters does come to London, because I think people will be more accepting there, and go see it for themselves. If anything about the production wasn't good, it was the direction by Sam Mendes... and it's not his fault. When it comes down to it, he was never given a chance.
Iris Chacon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Gypsy in London#5
Posted: 9/29/04 at 12:41am
Dames post is not disgusting at all. It was the truth. This revival was a huge flop on broadway. And as much as people love bernadette; she was miscast and it did not work. I saw the show right before it closed. It was tired. Hopefully you folks in London will ge a good revival of this show soon. And hopefully we will all get to see Bernadette in something new soon.
Kiss it baby. Kiss it now!
Evita
Swing
Swing
re: re: re: Gypsy in London#6
Posted: 11/21/04 at 12:32am
I had the pleasure of seeing Gypsy during its run on Broadway and I thought it was extremely good. The set design could've been better though, but Bernadette was absolutely perfect as Mama Rose. As she had said (I think) it was her dream role, and I think she brought a lot to it....
Currently: FASTRADA in Pippin Dream Role: Mimi in RENT "No day but today." "PATTI: Would you mind if I sang? JACK: Shut up, Patti LuPone! Shut your brassy, magnificent trap! I don't wanna hear you sing. I don't wanna cut your hair. And I certainly don't wanna hear you singing while I'm cutting your hair! Got it?! Now I'm talking to my best friend, so stand back, Buenos Aires!"- from Will & Grace
Dulcinea Profile PhotoDulcinea Profile Photo
Dulcinea
Understudy
Understudy
re: re: re: Gypsy in London#7
Posted: 11/27/04 at 11:29pm
I saw Gypsy with Bernadette Peters. And I have to say: I've lost quite a bit of respect for her. For years I was a major fan of hers and was always defending her to people who didn't think much of her. I saw her in "Annie Get Your Gun" as well as in concert a few times. But when I saw Gypsy (which is one of my fave shows) I was appalled. Her acting of the role wasn't bad, but her singing was atrocious!! Everytime she held a note I thought that her vocal chords were going burst from her throat. She just couldn't pull it off. Also, she spent so much time gasping for breath in the middle of her songs that she didn't have time to worry about performing them. Also her hands were flailing all over the place like she didn't know what to do with them.
Which this all just brought me to realize that she's not in touch with her limitations. And there is nothing so sad as a performer who is out of touch.
Just my opinion.
Also, Tammy Blanchard who played Louise/Gypsy was just altogether horendous. She played her like a complete bitch who hated her mother. What a misguided performance. And Sam Mendes is usually such a good director. Case in point- the revival of Cabaret.

www.GreatestStar.blogspot.com