Page: 1

Zorro the Musical - go see it!

AngusN
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Zorro the Musical - go see it!#1
Posted: 4/4/08 at 4:26am
I went to see the opening of Zorro last night at the Opera House in Manchester. It was touch and go whether they were going to open because of technical difficulties (again). However, thankfully they did.
It was a brilliant show. Excellent music by The Gypsy Kings and John Cameron, very authentic and engaging. It had the typical musical ballads that will be sung by balladeers for years to come; the most beautiful of the evening was The Man Behind the Mask sung by the female lead.
Other musical numbers that weer a stand out was the famous Bamboleo, which was performed by the comic female supporting role; Inez. This was a real crown pleaser and had many people clapping along.
The performers were all outstanding. Matt Rawle played Diego, he sung beautifully and acted incredibly well. Although I feel that he did try too hard to resemble Jonny Depp in Pirates of the Carribean.
Adam Cooper played Ramon and had great stage presence and a superb dance solo to open the second Act.
Aimie Atkinson (BBC Radio 2 Voice of Musical Theatre 2006) played Luisa. Her voice was phenomenal - she reminded me of Lea Salonga - she had many audience members crying listening to such gorgeous songs as The Man Behind the Mask and A Love We'll Never Live. Aimie played the role with the correct balance of vulnerability and feistiness that the role required. I feel her acting needs a little work - maybe this was due to nerves, - but her singing blew me away. (sorry I don't like saying anything negative about her)
Lesli Margherita was clearly the audience's favourite as Inez. She was a clear triple threat. Her characterisation was so impressive, she commanded your attention each time she walked on stage. A real treat to watch her perform.
The set was awesome. I just hope they can avoid the technical difficulties for the rest of the previews.
The book was the only criticism I have of the show. Whilst, I know the films are very tongue-in-cheek, I found the really obvious, preditable gags were funny, but distracting from the intense music and storyline. The humour should be left to the comedy characters, not all speech.
If you like Boubil and Schoenbourg you will love this. I recommend it to all musical lovers. I'm certain that it will be a huge hit in the west end. Go see it.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro the Musical - go see it!#2
Posted: 4/4/08 at 6:22am
I know about 8 or 9 people who have seen the show on its short time on tour. Everyone of them went in wanting to love the show and loved the whole concept of it. Everyone of them came out very disappointed.
The show is still fighting to get a theatre with speculation wild about it going to The Novello. On my recent trip to NY, the producer we were with is very close to placing a major Broadway play into The Novello, all be it being for a 5 month run from Sep. The Ambassador Group will try to place 'Zorro' within their group but they dont have that wide a choice of theatres in town.
Im very much looking forward to seeing 'Zorro' but it will be while till it hits town. Three more cities are penciled in to take the show in the coming months if London falls thru.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Zorro the Musical - go see it!#2
Posted: 4/4/08 at 7:29am
See I actually thought the opposite, I went in fearing the worst and was really surprised at how good it is and what potential there is there. However it is not ready for London yet.

I also thought Adam Coopers solo at start of Act 2 needs to go, it was embaressing, no point to it at all. Other than an excuse for him to be topless and shout a lot
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro the Musical - go see it!#3
Posted: 4/4/08 at 7:40am
Was he shouting how much he hates gays?
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro the Musical - go see it!#4
Posted: 4/4/08 at 7:42am
I just spoke to a friend to suggest we go to Milton Keynes to catch the show next week and i was told that they are close to pulling the opening on Tues due to the ongoing get-in probs!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro the Musical - go see it!#5
Posted: 4/4/08 at 8:26am
I think the Wedding Singer is taking the Novello
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Zorro the Musical - go see it!#6
Posted: 4/4/08 at 11:01am
Well, back on zorro, I saw it at mayflower, so did two people I know, and they both loved it, but they love there classics and big dancy shows, where I hated it, was utterly dissapointed, but I prefer modern theatre, such as Rent, wicked etc. and am not a big fan of dance shows! So I think it just depends what YOU like! I think it's a LONG way off London, espically as it will need a big theatre for stage size, but I dont think it will pull a big crowd, so, we'll see what happens.
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French