Mary Poppins closing!

bill73
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Mary Poppins closing!#1
Posted: 6/1/07 at 8:30am
This is not fair!! Not with boring old revivals just springing up everywhere...

am v v sad Mary Poppins closing!

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/news/display/cm/contentId/94233
Updated On: 6/1/07 at 08:30 AM
zerodanny Profile Photozerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Mary Poppins closing!#2
Posted: 6/1/07 at 9:15am
I am gutted, it is a criminal to close Mary Poppins one of the best shows on the West End for bull.... like JB.

I really hope that they open it again somewhere else!!

By the way will the bring it out on DVD? Who will play Bert and Miss Andrew from November to January then?
**Anything Can Happen If You Let It** SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins closing!#2
Posted: 6/1/07 at 9:26am
It sucks to hear that it is closing. I have seen it on broadway 3 times and really love it. I am lucky that I live in NYC and can see it for many more years to come.

And Jersey Boys isn't bull at all. But, it is not worth the closing of poppins.

And its interesting. On Broadway they don't announce a closing this far in advance like they are doing with Poppins. Usually it is a few months prior to the closing date when they announce that it is going to close.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins closing!#3
Posted: 6/1/07 at 10:28am
Now im not saying i told you so BUT

I TOLD YOU SO LOL

I got jumped on by some people on here when i said this a few months ago grrrrr.

The show is going out on tour so it will still be around and believe me Jersey Boys is not bull , its a fantastic show
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins closing!#4
Posted: 6/1/07 at 10:58am
zerodanny,

have you seen JERSEY BOYS?

If not, then how can you say it is bull??

Just because your favorite show is closing and making way for another show doesn't mean that other show is crap... If MP was as good as you say it is, it wouldn't be closing, now would it.

Anyway, I'm not going to miss MP. A mediocre show at best. Relying on the fame of the film. But, not the worst show in the West End though. I'd rather have MP in the West End and see MAMMA MIA! close...
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mary Poppins closing!#5
Posted: 6/1/07 at 11:17am
I have to say that Jersey Boys was the last show that i wanted to see when i was in New York last year, but i loved it and am glad its coming over here.

As Songanddanceman2 has said before, Mary Poppins will be touring for ages which i think is a great thing. There are so many people who simply cant afford to travel or even pay to see a west end show, so i think touring is a perfect way to get the show to even more people
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins closing!#6
Posted: 6/1/07 at 11:18am
I know the first 4 tour dates as well but im not allowed to say (ready to burst)
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mary Poppins closing!#7
Posted: 6/1/07 at 11:37am
I think this is really sad news, I think Mary Poppins is a great show to take kids to - much better than The Lion King, which is somehow still running. Ugh.

And I could not be less interested in Jersey Boys.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins closing!#8
Posted: 6/1/07 at 11:49am
Joshy have you seen Jersey Boys
N.N Profile PhotoN.N Profile Photo
N.N
Swing
Swing
re: Mary Poppins closing!#9
Posted: 6/1/07 at 1:04pm
NOT important someone's prediciton became true. Its utter nonsence.
Also I think we should stop compare Mary with JB.
zerodanny Profile Photozerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Mary Poppins closing!#10
Posted: 6/1/07 at 1:06pm
Oh well!!!!!!!

I just think it's very very sad, and I will miss the show very much!! There are other shows on the west end that are weeell past it.
**Anything Can Happen If You Let It** SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS
Updated On: 6/1/07 at 01:06 PM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins closing!#11
Posted: 6/1/07 at 1:49pm
So 'Evita' closed for 'Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat', 'Hound Of The Baskervilles' is closing for 'Buddy', and now 'Mary Poppins' is making way for 'Jersey Boys'.

I wouldn't MIND so much if 1) I didn't enjoy the closed/closing shows so much, and 2) something more EXCITING was coming in. re: Mary Poppins closing!
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Mary Poppins closing!#12
Posted: 6/1/07 at 5:11pm
It is such a shame that it will close in London, this is currently my favourite show in London and has been since it opened. I was never too much a fan of the film despite me loving Julie Andrews, but I thought I gave the musical a chance and completely fell in love with it - I love that it is not the film which was far too much kitsch for me. I know it is to tour, but as coming from abroad it will take far more effort and money to see it in future now.
I do not mind Jersey Boys opening in London, but it is a shame to lose Mary - the one thing I really cannot understand is that shows as WWRY stay open which is a pain to watch these days (well it is for me, I used to love it when it opened but since all the changes it got rather awful).
And - it might rely on the fame of the film, but don't a lot of musicals currently open rely on the fame of a film (Wicked, Spamalot) or a band (Mamma Mia, WWRY)? But it is a musical on its own, with its own life these days which is good - I would not want a clone/carboncopy of the movie (as Dirty Dancing...).
Long live Mary Poppins! I will be there on its closing night, booked my tickets yesterday.

Updated On: 6/1/07 at 05:11 PM
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Mary Poppins closing!#13
Posted: 6/1/07 at 5:44pm
Look, Jersey Boys has been waiting for a suitable theatre. It so happens that Mary Poppins is closing and JB is going to take over. But JB is not forcing the closure. If Mary Poppins was doing better, then JB would have to wait for another theatre.

Next up to correct some of the ignorant comments: Jersey Boys is not a juke box musical. I love ABBA but loathed Mamma Mia because of its silly story. Jersey Boys is a biography, where the songs are virtually all performed as stage numbers e.g. we see the group performing on the Ed Sullivan.

I can assure you that most people find the show energising - that's why it's been the hottest ticket in New York for the last 18 months. Yield per seat is the highest of all and you have to book months ahead to get even an average seat.

So why not give the show a chance instead of dissing it without seeing it?
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins closing!#14
Posted: 6/1/07 at 6:18pm
Oh gosh, my mistake, SO sorry to be upset about a show I really enjoy closing. I'll be sure to consult with you next time I may be foolish enough to feel disappointment without your approval.
GlennMeads Profile PhotoGlennMeads Profile Photo
GlennMeads
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Mary Poppins closing!#15
Posted: 6/2/07 at 4:14am
Poppins is a terrific show and London will miss it. But, hopefully the tour will do very well. I am sure if it visits Manchester (fingers crossed) that it will do very well. What I love about the show is that it has heart beneath all of the merchandise. In my humble opinion, it has more going for it than The Lion King. Jersey Boys looks good and we should give it chance. It has been wowing crowds in NY and San Francisco. Hopefully the Poppins tour dates will be released soon. If anyone wants to travel to see the show, visit Manchester, it's a great city.
Updated On: 6/2/07 at 04:14 AM
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Mary Poppins closing!#16
Posted: 6/2/07 at 8:00am
Weez don't be sarcastic. Of course you have every right to feel disappointed about the closure of a favourite show - just don't blame Jersey Boys and lash out saying it's crap without having seen it. Mary Poppins is closing because financial yield is dropping. It doesn't matter what the successor show is, another show inevitably follows.
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Mary Poppins closing!#17
Posted: 6/2/07 at 8:00am
Weez don't be sarcastic. Of course you have every right to feel disappointed about the closure of a favourite show - just don't blame Jersey Boys and lash out saying it's crap without having seen it. Mary Poppins is closing because financial yield is dropping. It doesn't matter what the successor show is, another show inevitably follows.
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mary Poppins closing!#18
Posted: 6/2/07 at 8:28am
Its odd how we feel towards a show that takes the theatre away from the show we like. I have odd feelings towards The Drowsey Chaperone as it took The Woman in White's theatre in Broadway as I loved seeing it in London and both closed in quick succession. These are of course totally separate transactions and not linked, just as with Mary Poppins and Jersey Boys, there are always shows looking for suitable theatres.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins closing!#19
Posted: 6/2/07 at 2:03pm
Turquoisefish,

I feel the same way about Young Franenstine.It is taking the place of Pirate Queen. True that Pirate Queen isn't doing so well but it is also the way that Brooks announced the theatre for his new show that makes me even angrier. On broadway if a new show is planning to take the space of a theatre currently in use, then the kind thing to do is wait for the other show to announce a closing date before you say that your show is going to go into tha theatre. Brooks didn't do that. And e3ven in his press release for Frankenstine saying that the showwas going into the Hilton he didn't seem to care.

Someone on the broadway boards said that the way that the ydo things in hollywood and on broaday are different. But, end of thread ack.

I am sad to ear poppins is closing. but Jersey Boys is doing great on broadway and on tour. It will be great to see how it does internationally. I do wish though that there was another theatre it can go in so that Poppins didn't have to close and that every one was hhappy.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins closing!#20
Posted: 6/2/07 at 4:10pm
It was hardly a shock that YF was going to go in and take the Hilton, the pirate queen has been a disaster , brooks only said they were hoping for and it was looking like it would be the Hilton, he never confirmed it
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins closing!#21
Posted: 6/2/07 at 9:53pm
songanddanceman,

Brooks did conferm that YF will be taking the Hilton. There were articles about it on broadway websites a few weeks ago as well as the New York Times. There were two options for theatres. One was the St. James that was home to the Producers. And, the other one was the Hilton. There was discussion about which one he was going to put his show into. But, The Grinch is comming to new York for the second year and it said that it wsa going to take the St. James prior to announcing that YF was going to take the Hilton. But, by the time The Grinch announced what theatre it was going to be in it was clear that YF was going to be Hilton bound.

Now, I know broadway is a business as well as the West End. And in every contract for a producer to rent a theatre there is something there that says that if ticket sales drop below an agreed upon number for two weeks then the owners of the theatre can choose to kick out the tenante of the theatre. PQ's numbers haven't got to that point yet. But, the owners of the Hilton think that they can get more money from YF. The Nederlander's did the same thing for Drowsy. They thought that they would get more money from Drowsy then Women in White. So they gave WIW the boot and put Drowsy in and they made a good choice. Look at how much money Drowsy is making.

It's not that I don't have a problem with Hilton giving the boot to PQ. Its the way that Brooks announced it that pissed me off. He came of as a pompous jerk in the article from the NY times that announced it.
Red-Angel
Swing
Swing
re: Mary Poppins closing!#22
Posted: 6/3/07 at 6:24am
I'm just glad I get to see it before it closes then (July).
It's always a shame when a show closes. I was gutted when "The Wedding Singer" closed in NYC, As I spent alot of time out there last year and used to go on my days off. Hope they bring it to the west end to replace M.P then!!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins closing!#23
Posted: 6/3/07 at 10:42am
He did go in the papers and talk about the fact it was LOOKING LIKELY to be the Hilton but he hasn't confirmed they have it yet(It wont be confirmed till pirate queen posts its closing notice)

http://westend.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=18675

as for pirate queens numbers not been that bad yet ???

The shows sales have dropped every week (it's now down in the 60 percents) what is AWFUL for a new musical, The theatre can obviously see that the show has no chance of staying afloat so are pulling the plug, the show could remain open up until Young Frankenstein goes in (when its confirmed lol) which is a lot bigger run that it deserves.

Pirate Queen is also a very expensive show to run and with figures and attendance as low as they are they are loosing money so if the hilton didnt pull the show the producers would (and i expect will in the next month) as no producer is going to keep throwing the vast amounts of money needed to keep this show alive when its plain for all to see that its not improving.

Its a shame about PQ as i was looking forward to it but its turned out to be awful.
Updated On: 6/3/07 at 10:42 AM
Brave Sir Robin2 Profile PhotoBrave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins closing!#24
Posted: 6/3/07 at 2:25pm
"I am gutted, it is a criminal to close Mary Poppins one of the best shows on the West End for bull.... like JB."

Jersey Boys is not bull. I think Drowsy deserved the Tony, but Jersey Boys is magical and fun. It is very emotional, IMO.

"And its interesting. On Broadway they don't announce a closing this far in advance like they are doing with Poppins. Usually it is a few months prior to the closing date when they announce that it is going to close."

Beauty and the Beast was annuonced months ago in NY and it still hasn't closed.

"I think this is really sad news, I think Mary Poppins is a great show to take kids to - much better than The Lion King, which is somehow still running. Ugh."

I never liked the Lion King. It's an overpopulated puppet show.

"I feel the same way about Young Franenstine.It is taking the place of Pirate Queen. True that Pirate Queen isn't doing so well but it is also the way that Brooks announced the theatre for his new show that makes me even angrier."

You spelld Frankenstine wrong. Also, The Pirtae Queen is closing soon enough. It would have even if Frankenstien wasn't going in.
"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop