Page: 1

Going to school in london?

wickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photowickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photo
wickedfiyeroofoz
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Going to school in london?#0
Posted: 7/25/06 at 12:47pm
If all of you "londoners" could reccomend a university/ college/ conservatory for an american to study in (For voice) which would it be? I'm very interested in going to school in london. If you reply, name the school,a ballpark tuition cost,the quaility of the school, and how difficult it is for an american to get in. Thanks!!
How can they see with sequins in their eyes?
david_rhysuk Profile Photodavid_rhysuk Profile Photo
david_rhysuk
Understudy
Understudy
re: Going to school in london?#1
Posted: 7/25/06 at 6:27pm
if u want to study singing on a musical theatre course, i'd recommend these schools throughout the uk:

ROYAL ACADEMY OF MUSIC
MOUNTVIEW ACADEMY
GUILDFORD SCHOOL OF ACTING
ARTS EDUCATIONAL SCHOOL
LAINE THEATRE ARTS
LONDON SCHOOL OF MUSICAL THEATRE
ACADEMY OF MUSICAL THEATRE WALES
LIPA
WELSH COLLEGE OF MUSIC AND DRAMA
etc....

all are very good schools, check out their websites for more information. hope this helps :o)
JohnBoy3
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Going to school in london?#2
Posted: 7/26/06 at 7:16am
hey

I have just finished the Musical Theatre course at the Royal Academy of Music. It was amazing and very intensive-3 year course in 9 months. Competition is extremely hard and I believe that a few years a go some Americans got on the course but then couldnt get funding. The course is around 10 thousand pounds and they have Halls of residence for international students- next to Regents Park-this area is dead expensive too so you must take that in to account . Have a look on the web for the academy for an application form as I know the head tutors do fly to America for auditions. Central isnt all that great and I have heard but Mountview is also ok as far as I know. If you want further advice drop me a line as I have been thorugh this nightmare process and am more than happy to help a fellow Musical Theatre singer
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Going to school in london?#3
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:41pm
No, no more musical theatre courses! or pretensious all singing all dancing, disapointed supermarket shelf stackers.

Before anyone starts musical theatre LEARN TO ACT.

I find it helps!

Having auditioned so so so so so so so so so so many musical theatre guys and girls I am always amazed at how lacking in the basic skills of being on a stage they actually are - can't walk, stand still, act or do anything with out it being a big issue. And first and foremost before entering the profession learn how an audience feels and what its like when you are good and bad and how to tell the difference. Learn how to work an audience, react to them and command them. And above all LISTEN and THINK.

david_rhysuk Profile Photodavid_rhysuk Profile Photo
david_rhysuk
Understudy
Understudy
re: Going to school in london?#4
Posted: 7/31/06 at 4:00pm
well said!
JohnBoy3
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Going to school in london?#5
Posted: 8/1/06 at 9:03am
I can quite assure you that I am not a shelf stacker and can perform in front of an audience. wow -these notice boards are so nasty!!!!!!
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Going to school in london?#6
Posted: 8/2/06 at 5:14am
Hi JohnBoy3!!

Didn't intend to be "nasty" just realistic from what I have seen as a director and in casting.

At the start of my career I worked in a number of service industries and noticed that the vast majority of the other workers were MT graduates all under the impression they would be the next Ruthie! Sadly when seeing most of them in productions they could dance, they could sing, but none of them could act for any money!

MT is a tough disciplin and requires an amazing amount of tallent. I have a problem with the generic focus of MT in young performers lives. In my experience I have found that MT performers very rarely make good 'straight' theatre performers which limits their career possibilities considerably. They are also considerably more annoying to work with!

My comment was intended to flag up the importance of 'acting' in an MT course and to encourage focus upon 'acting' along with all the other demanding work involved - just singing and dancing is only enough for the back of the chorus, not the 'star' or a 'named' role.

D.S!

west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Going to school in london?#7
Posted: 8/2/06 at 10:42am
Deathstar i have to disagre with such a silly comment(sorry)I could name loads of musical theatre actors which have gone on to do very well and win great reviews in straight theatre.

They are also plenty of musical theatre courses where the acting section of the course is very strong.

If we want to get bitchy about us musical theatre performers acting in straight theatre well what about straight theatre performers screaming through musicals ?

Musical Theatre actors stand a better chance of crossing over to straight theatre other than vica verca.

I hate this snobbish attitude towards MT performers (all jazz hands and youngsters wanting to be stars) In my opinion it takes a hell of a lot more work than just acting and the ones who just think they are gonna be stars(in musicals or straight theatre)get weeded out esarly on.
Ive never wanted to be a star in fact i cant think of anything worse.I just want to excell in what i do and feel the audience for 2 hours and then go home to my fella,and so many of us in this biz feel the same way(ive only ever come accross one starlett and ive done a lot of musicals).

Also in the musicals i have done when a straight actor has been booked to play in the show They have been the biggest nightmares,looking down there noses and playing the thesp role every time they opened there dramatic gobs(diva)but then get on stage and have to sing and dance and make an arse of themselves.

If MT performers can sing well,dance well and act Ok ,well thats still 2 more skills than straight actors.

And as for the shelf stacker rubbish,all my freinds who are still trying to make it in to theatre are not musical theatre performers ,they will always be actors singers and dancers looking for work so have to take (normal)jobs to make ends meet.
To say its just musical theatre performers is stupid.

g

LondonTheatreUK Profile PhotoLondonTheatreUK Profile Photo
LondonTheatreUK
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Going to school in london?#8
Posted: 8/2/06 at 3:08pm
I hate this snobbish attitude towards straight actors (all thespian-ish, snobby and dramatic)
JohnBoy3
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Going to school in london?#9
Posted: 8/3/06 at 4:36am
I get your point to a certain degree but there is nothing worse than straight actors thinking they can do musical theatre-how many "Corrie/Eastenders"Brookside" soap actors think they can do it and end up pulling out after 3 days as they cant hack the 8 shows a week syndrome. maybe leave it to those who have trained and realise just how diffuclt it all is to do musicals- nobody ever gives you a break and you have to smile and wave with a broom up your bum.
maybe that is something you could do in the futurer is you feel that passion about it-that is not a sarcastic comment either just incase anyone gets itchy fingers!!!!
princessofpower Profile Photoprincessofpower Profile Photo
princessofpower
Understudy
Understudy
re: Going to school in london?#10
Posted: 8/3/06 at 5:06am
The London Studio Centre has an excellent musical theatre degree/diploma in their 3rd year (Seedtime), and you will study in everything, and I mean everything!!! The first two years are pretty general, focussing mainly on dance, but the third year is excellent for Musical Theatre Actors.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Going to school in london?#11
Posted: 8/3/06 at 5:58am
Dear WE1...

I agree with you - Yes, my post was deliberately provocative! And yes, musical Theatre is very, very tough. I have much admiration for those who are good at it and make success in the performances they give. I'm certainly not any good at it!

There are a large number of disciplines to perfect and to excel in and I have much admiration for them and the work they do!

I also agree there is nothing worse than either a straight actor trying to scream and stagger through a musical or for that matter a musical actor trying Hamlet for example!

I wasn't trying to say "straight" actors were better than MT actors at all - I make no quality or snobbery distinction between the two art forms at all and enjoy both in equal measure. What is good is good regardless of the genre it is in.

I also agree that there are many courses for Musical Theatre with a strong acting element.

I still stand by what I was trying to say... there are many many many Musical Theatre performers who have trained and will get little work because they have little ability to carry a role. This is, you are right, equally true of straight actors who can't sing/dance. Though as the original subject was about MT course I stuck to that side.

I think the thing I object to most is the screeching, over-excited, jumping bean, show off, pretensions attitude I have
seen so many times from Musical Theatre (and 'straight') actors or trainees who have never found any work since they graduated! And a belief I have heard from many of them who thought - QUITE WRONGLY, as I am sure you will agree as a performer who has worked hard at their career with success - that it would be in some way 'easier' to get work in Musical Theatre than it actually is. Which is an attitude I have found on many many occasions!

And on the subject of being bitchy about MT performers I did actually write the following sentence:

"MT is a tough discipline and requires an amazing amount of talent."

Yes, we all have to earn a living when we aren't working! Though I have seen 70% more MT performers in these jobs than straight actors and was trying to highlight what I see as a reality of a situation in which MT is the dominant popular art form with an awful lot of people training in it who may not find any work at all... Though, as you point out, it is a reality we must all remember in our chosen fields after all a production only needs 1 director!