Page: 1

Bright Lights, Big City at Hoxton Hall

SomaFiend
Swing
Swing
Bright Lights, Big City at Hoxton Hall#1
Posted: 11/20/10 at 6:35pm
What an excellent production this is. For anyone who happened to see the original production of Bright Lights, Big City in New York, the show has been streamlined and tightened - very much for the better. Composer Paul Scott Goodman has a great melodic gift, and he's created a pop/rock score that is never cheesy or bombastic (as many rock musicals are). In fact, it is frequently beautiful and very touching, which may seem surprising for a show that also features so much sex and cocaine.

The cast of this production, headed by Paul Ayres (sp?) as drug-addled budding novelist Jamie, is absolutely top-notch, with fantastic singing voices and (thank you, God) terrific American accents. Stand outs to me were Lori Haley Fox as Jamie's mother, Matthew Gent as his brother, and Jodie Jacobs as a philosophy student that Jamie meets (she gives a stunning rendition of the song "Kindness").

I don't think the show is playing much longer, but there should be a few performances left this coming week, so I'd highly recommend heading to Hoxton Hall (a very cool venue, by the way) before it's too late.
Bright Lights, Big City
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bright Lights, Big City at Hoxton Hall#2
Posted: 11/21/10 at 4:34am
Thanks so much for the review. I was contemplating whether or not to trek over to Hoxton for this. Now I definitely will.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bright Lights, Big City at Hoxton Hall#2
Posted: 11/21/10 at 12:47pm
So, I went to the matinee this afternoon and SomaFiend you are so right. A great production of a show I have a whole new respect for. The entire cast - West End actors all - was great and the production was inventive and illuminating and totally served the piece. It's only running until this Thursday so make plans. Hoxton is a bit out of the way but definitely worth the effort.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bright Lights, Big City at Hoxton Hall#3
Posted: 11/27/10 at 6:31pm
So wish I could have made it to London to see this during its short run. Really hope it gets a life beyond this production. Love all the songs I've heard from this show.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 11/27/10 at 06:31 PM