Page: 1

No Sex We're British / Run For Your Wife

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No Sex We're British / Run For Your Wife#1
Posted: 7/31/10 at 12:27pm
I have called before for 3 revivals of musicals in the West End, Me and My Girl, Chess and Aspects of Love, since I have posted these threads in the last year they are being done or planned to be done in anticipation for a West End revival.

So now I am going to ask for the revival of 2 legendary plays, 'No Sex We're British' and 'Run For Your Wife', I think these would be great if these shows came back to the West End and would do well again.

I have seen 'Run For Your Wife' and thought it was hilarious and Ray Cooney was excellent and would love to see this again.

Perhaps these two plays could be tried at The Menier, before a full West End transfer?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No Sex We're British / Run For Your Wife#2
Posted: 7/31/10 at 12:31pm
Legendary?
These two may have been record breakers for the runs they did but they well and truly don't belong into days theatre climate. They certainly ain't no Shirley or Rita'!
'No Sex' was stale and totally unfunny even when I saw it 25 years ago.
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
No Sex We're British / Run For Your Wife#2
Posted: 7/31/10 at 12:49pm
My other half acted in an am dram Run For Your Wife....I spent the whole time with my head in my hands....possibly the most unfunny thing I've seen in my life
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whatever happened to the Theatre of Comedy. I think Run For Your Wife was their first production. Mama?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Have to say I hate both of those plays
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, 'Run For Your Wife' was its first production and was given the kind of pre opening publicity that ALW now pays millions for!

I took my mother to see it and we both found it very hard to stay awake and that was very embarrassing sitting in the front row wit Ray Cooney glaring down at you every time something was supposed to be funny on stage!
I must admit i did see it once again in the early 90s with Les Dawson and he made it his own. He spend more time doing the 'Les Dawson Show' at the front of the stage than actually in 'Run For Your Wife'- spectacular entertainment. The rest of the company just sat on the set while he did this and just enjoyed his performance as much as the audience did!

The Theatre Of Comedy are still going all be it just in name.
They gave up residency of the Shaftesbury many years ago.
Sadly, when 'Hairspray' took the Shaftesbury they removed the wording above the theatre. It had ben there since 1983 and seemed good enough for everything that played there before.

Maureen Lipman, John Aldreton, Pauline Collins, Judi Dench etc, etc are still The Theatre Of Comedy Theatre Company.

In the last 20 years you would be amazed how many West End shows have had money put into them from The Theatre Of Comedy- the last one I know of was 'Fat Pig'.
Updated On: 8/1/10 at 03:19 PM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why I recommended both these plays for revival, is because both had such a long run, with the possibility of having a respectable revival.

'No Sex We're British', I have not seen, but understand it run for a very long time, despite being panned by our critics, so could stand a good chance yet again, But don't know if it would be dated today? Love to see this even if it is complete garbage, give me a chance to make my mind up.

Same as 'Run For Your Wive', which had a decent London run, which I found absolutely hilarious and I can see this working on a small London stage again, as I can seeing this has not dated, as you still get black cab drivers who have two wives. Definitely could be worked in the Menier.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have said this time and again, but i'd love to see the Menier tackle "Dreamgirls".
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreamgirls? How did that find its way into this thread?

Mama, as I recall didn't The Theatre of Comedy start by a large group of actors all putting money into it, and thereby funding the first production - RUN FOR YOUR WIFE?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Alterego, as I mentioned briefly above, yes, it was put together by the cream of British theatre, not just comedy but other branches too.
Judi Dench
Micheal Williams
Maureen Lipman
John Alderton
Pauline Collins
Ray Cooney (who owned the theatre after he bought it to present 'They're Palying Our Song' there and gave it over to the company).
Bernard Cribbins
Tom Courntney
Beryl Reid
Leonard Rossiter
...and many more all put money into the venture and they presented a brilliant array of productions, not just at the Shaftesbury but at many other West End houses over nearly 30 years.
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No Sex We're British / Run For Your Wife#10
Posted: 8/2/10 at 9:29pm
I wonder if, as backers they still get royalties on RUN FOR YOUR WIFE?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No Sex We're British / Run For Your Wife#11
Posted: 8/3/10 at 5:58am
Yep they sure do. Its always presented in association with them.