Page: 1

Revews: 7 shows in 4 days

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Revews: 7 shows in 4 days#1
Posted: 5/23/10 at 10:22pm
Ok, so a friend came to visit so we did quite a marathon of shows during his weekend here. 7 shows in 4 days. Thought I should share my thoughts on them:

HAIR - 20th May Thurs matinee
Got free student tickets so I brought my friend along. I've seen it once before in the stalls but Will was out and Steel was Berger. This time I sat near back of the Dress Circle. The feeling was very different. It didn't give me as much of that spread-out-into-audience feeling but there was a better view of the whole framework of the set which was great. I still thought the 'trip' in Act 2 was quite boring and always the low point of the show for me. It's still more like a concert than an actual musical? It was so good to see Will as Berger. I liked his characterization of the role a lot but I think Steel sang the role better. The rest of the cast was phenomenal as usual. How Gavin Creel can sing so beautifully and make it easier than me reading my own contacts list I have no idea!
3.5/5

PRISCILLA - 20th May Thurs evening
This is my first time watching Don as Bernadette/John as Bob/Yvette as Marion and the new ensemble. Don was certainly not Tony for me. But he was real good himself! Not a bad replacement at all.... certainly got a better singing voice! I didn't like John's Bob much, too jolly for my taste. Yvette was great and the new ensemble are hot as usual! Overall, I'm kinda glad Jason is leaving, his singing makes my ears bleed; Oliver has really really gotten so comfortable a Felicia and still super amazing. My friend came out saying 'they should have Oliver have the last bow, he IS the star of the show, the other 2, walk off plz!' My friend didn't wanna watch the show, I kinda forced him to. He came out wow-ed by the set & costumes and the amount of fun he had. So I guess sometimes, it doesn't ALL have to be R&H and Sondheim ~
4/5

AVENUE Q - 21st May Fri matinee
Alan Pearson was on as Nicky/Trekkie and I loved him. He was so adorable and brought a warmth to Nicky that I never saw from the other 3 Nickys I saw. I still think Paul was sufficient, he was alright, just nothing special and didn't really SHINE like Daniel did or brought a lot into the role like Jon did. As for Cassidy, she was my least fav. Kate/Lucy amongst the ones I've seen. She sang the song well, but she missed so much of the jokes it's frustrating! I do really like Jacqueline Tate as XMas Eve. Overall... I was tired as well, seen the show way too many times, and the cast at present as a whole was just average.
2.5/5

CHICAGO - 21st May matinee
Ok... being one of my fav. shows, I really did not want to re-visit it after seeing Ruthie as Roxie 2 months ago. From Ruthie to Emma can easily be the biggest jump. Emma annoys me. Her fake cuteness for the role, so dumb, so uninteresting, so fake! Her Roxie is way too happy in... everything which made 'nowadays' look overdramatic! Vivien Carter as Velma was fine. Didn't have enough sass or character to be Velma full-time though. Her singing was fine, her dancing was good but she really needs to work more on her character! Adam Stafford was thankless and quite pathetic I think as Amos... talking in Northern accent and occasionally American. The new ensemble are on high standards, esp loved Chris Piper as The Jury. Sadly, the ensemble is great and yet the leads.
2/5

THE REAL THING - 22nd Sat May evening
Great play by Stoppard. But I like the discussion on playwrights in Act 1 more than the whole oozy love ending in Act 2. The acting was great and the play was certainly very interesting, but I can't help but think it's such a Hugh Grant film or if there's a film, the lead role will definitely be played by Hugh Grant!
4/5

PETER PAN @ BARBICAN - 23rd May Sun matinee
Had no idea what to expect, entered 10 mins late because we got lost finding the place and tubes were closed (HATE tubes on sundays!). The production was dark and bans the idea of magic and fairy tales. It gives us a needy Peter Pan who is very care-free to a point it only makes him seem heartless & indulgent. The cast was brilliant and I've never felt so disturbed by Peter Pan before!
4/5

PARADISE FOUND - 23rd May Sun evening
I went through Act 1 and thinking 'Why?' and had no idea what's going to happen in Act 2. But by 5 mins into Act 2 I asked 'Why?!??!' again and the problem was not that I didn't know what's happening but the fact that I just did not care what will happen. The script was very cliche, messy & pointless & disastrous even. The set was fine for Menier but I cannot imagine how it will be panned when it transfers to Broadway. The whole show did not need 2 directors with such an amazing Broadway cast! After the show, I had no idea what they wanted or what story they presented so again i asked, 'WHY?!' There was no need for this musical, there was no need for any of this cast or company! Kate Baldwin was a sight to see, her dressing gown in Act 2 was WOW, she can turn any gay man straight with that gown & underwear. Judy & Nancy were other standouts in the show. Was it dreadful to watch? Yes. If it wasn't for the cast, I probably won't have stayed for the show. Tempted to walk out so many times!
1.5/5
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Revews: 7 shows in 4 days#2
Posted: 5/23/10 at 10:50pm
Quite a achievement, well done. glad you enjoyed 4 of your shows.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Revews: 7 shows in 4 days#2
Posted: 5/24/10 at 3:41am
- it doesn't ALL have to be R&H and Sondheim -
Love it!
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Revews: 7 shows in 4 days#3
Posted: 5/24/10 at 8:11am
It IS quite an amazing achievement! I mean... 7 shows in 4 days... we also visited Tate Modern, V&A, National Portrait Gallery, Borough Market, Brick Lane, Camden Lock as well! It was one tiring weekend!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Jeremy3 Profile PhotoJeremy3 Profile Photo
Jeremy3
Swing
Swing
Revews: 7 shows in 4 days#4
Posted: 5/24/10 at 11:44am

7 Shows and no visit of Billy Elliot !?
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Revews: 7 shows in 4 days#5
Posted: 5/24/10 at 1:27pm
Your trip is very compact, but looks amazing itinerary.

National Portrait Gallery is fabulous especially the top floor which is the Tudor period.