Sister Act Moves Closing to October 30 to Find New Home

soundofnuns Profile Photosoundofnuns Profile Photo
soundofnuns
Understudy
Understudy
Sister Act will now close at the Palladium on October 30th and will find a new West End home aswell as opening on Broadway and launching a UK Tour.
Good news but where will it move to? Theatre Royal?
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
Hmmmm! That is good news. I wonder if it will actually go to another Theatre. They'd have to come up with a new set I guess for most smaller Theatres. I would obviously be thrilled if it did stay in the West End, in a smaller house it could probably last a couple more years as I know lots of people interested in seeing it.

I'm also still hoping they'll turn the Musical into a film.
Once you start to spread it, Baby, if you let it, Love comes right on back to you . . .
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There are a few options for it I suppose. If it is going to tour anyway, a new set would be essential.

I could see it taking the Aldwych, Novello or Piccadilly.

Very happy by this news!!!
Updated On: 5/7/10 at 03:20 PM
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
Well I'm happy as long as it's still on in London.
Once you start to spread it, Baby, if you let it, Love comes right on back to you . . .
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Surely that enormous set would never fit into the Novello? Plus there's a show in place for early next year there so it wouldn't be a long run.

And the Aldwych, alas, isn't going to be evicting Dirty Dancing any time soon, now, is it?

I have to say I'll be surprised if it really does relocate - seriously, where is it going to go that can fit the set but will be more profitable?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I cant really see where this would go
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
As Mark_E said it would need a new set for a tour. Maybe they should tour it first and then bring it back to London with the new set.

Of course I would prefer for both tour and London to run parallel.

Apart from the chase scenes, and the finale, the stage doesn't need to be too big either.

I'm going to be optimistic for the time being. I love the show, and I will keep taking more and more people to it as long as I can.

If it does close in London for too long, I will just mount my own production instead.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lion King, Wicked, We Will Rock You, Jersey Boys... choose your pick to be replaced by Sister Act!

I pick WWRY :P
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
Wouldn't most of those still be too big??

What if Hair closed. Could it go there?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
We will see if it moves
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have not commented on this thread so far as I am very suspicious on the source of information came from. I cannot see 'Sister Act' being re-homed and think a downsizing would ruin a show that is very good.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think that it would be great if the show moved to another theatre with smaller sets. Keep in mind that this would be a great way for the producers to figure out how they would do things on Broadway. I say this because there really isn't a theatre on Broadway right now that can hold the sets that it currently uses in London.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
soundofnuns Profile Photosoundofnuns Profile Photo
soundofnuns
Understudy
Understudy
So if Sister Act closes October 20th and Oz opens March 29th, What will go in between?
Updated On: 5/8/10 at 05:12 PM
GlennMeads Profile PhotoGlennMeads Profile Photo
GlennMeads
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
White Christmas
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Was there for the 5th time tonight - Amazing as always!!!

Upper Circle closed though, very strange for a Saturday Evening performance for any show! Seems like ticket sales may be lower than you expect. Still it got a fantastic reaction from the audience and the Stalls/Dress looked very full.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did you get a day ticket Mark?
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sure did! Got there at 9:15 and I was the first person there, amazed. Only about 8 people when the box office opened.
Mrs_Spratt Profile PhotoMrs_Spratt Profile Photo
Mrs_Spratt
Swing
Swing
Bung it in the Fortune or Garrick LOL.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shaftesbury!
'Flashdance' wont last more than a few months and by that time they could have redesigned 'Sister Act ' to fit there very nicely.
It it does close just remember it has had a really good run of almost 2 years at the Palladium- no mean feat theses days.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark, you could of got to Sister Act at 6:30pm and still got a day ticket, they allocate day tickets to whatever seats they do not sell, which I have done before and will do again before it closes.

No need to go to TKTS and pay 42:00.
Updated On: 5/9/10 at 09:41 AM
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Theres nothing confirmed for a new home.

Ticket sales have slumped for the show quicker than they thought, not suprising, they are at The Palladium! so its coming off earlier and White Christmas is doing a limited run at The Palladium.

Stage Ents did talk about transfering Sister Act to the Shaftesbury - but timing wise it doesnt work out and now its impossible due to Flashdance now confirmed to enter.

The show could have sustained a longer life in London in a more small venue - but there is no confirmation of a transfer in November. Instead it is likley to tour and come back into London.

Someone did say Really Useful may give them The Adelphi by November..!!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well LND has yet to extend its booking which is surprising
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So I got up at 7:30 for nothing? Drat!!! Atleast I was front row centre!!!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would be very surprised if LND would be out by November, when I saw it again recently it was well attended.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Sister Act' closes at the Palladium on October 30th prior to a European tour in mid 2011 and then Broadway.
It is NOT looking for a new home.
The London Palladium will be closed right through until 'The Wizard Of Oz' opens in March.
Major renovation work is to be carried out on the entire backstage area during this closure.
Bookings for 'Wizard' are way above what they initially expected.
This is info from the theatre manager last night.
PS: Jane McDonlad was fab!