Page: 1

Donmar Warehouse Appreciation Thread

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Donmar Warehouse Appreciation Thread#1
Posted: 2/19/10 at 8:26am
Just have to say how much I love this venue, both for quality of productions and the actual venue itself!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Donmar Warehouse Appreciation Thread#2
Posted: 2/19/10 at 9:17am
Here Here. I've only seen 2 shows there (Life is a Dream and Red) and am booked for Serenading Louis but the production values are great. I particularly loved Red. Can't wait for Passion!
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Donmar Warehouse Appreciation Thread#2
Posted: 2/19/10 at 9:39am
One of my favourite theatres, and their track record in terms of the quality of the productions is excellent... but I hate that for some shows it's virtually impossible to get decent seats unless you pay for priority booking.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Donmar Warehouse Appreciation Thread#3
Posted: 2/19/10 at 10:58am

A venue that is simply not topped anywhere in the world.

There maybe a few on here who remember the old venue back in the 70s and 80s-same building just basically an old warehouse hence its original full name, The Donmar Warehouse. An absolutely brilliant space that had so much atmosphere and such a great program of productions. 'The RSC used it for many years and introduced 'Educating Rita', 'Piaf' to London audiences there before they went onto bigger West End houses. Lots of other independent shows played there also including 'Blues In The night-the list is very impressive.
The current building, however, does lack a little atmosphere until the show begins!

Long may it reign over our fair theatreland.
Updated On: 2/19/10 at 10:58 AM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Donmar Warehouse Appreciation Thread#4
Posted: 2/19/10 at 11:27am
The only show I've seen there was Patti LuPone's Matters of the Heart concert and I loved the venue. The Shakespeare Theatre and the Goodman in Chicago both have similar venues. I saw Pacific Overtures in the Shakespeare venue when I first moved to Chicago and the production ended up transferring to the Donmar.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Donmar Warehouse Appreciation Thread#5
Posted: 2/19/10 at 8:01pm
The Donmar is great, it has developed as a theatrical powerhouse firstly under Sam Mendes and then Michael Grandage and their lineup is a good mix of new work, revivals and the odd musical, until Nick Hytner, Michael Grandage isn't afraid of staging a musical at the Donmar. I look forward to Passion and also King Lear, they have done a Shakespeare every year if you include the Donmar West End productions of Twelfth Night and Hamlet.

Interesting fact that ATG actually own the building but the Donmar will fully own it in a couple of years time.

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Donmar Warehouse Appreciation Thread#6
Posted: 2/19/10 at 8:11pm
One of a few venues I have not been to in London, I might have a 'Passion' to go there soon.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Donmar Warehouse Appreciation Thread#7
Posted: 2/19/10 at 9:30pm
I just love this theatre so much! I've seen a few productions from this place within the past 3 years and I have not been disappointed by a single production! When you go to see a Donmar production, you KNOW you're in for something special and an experience. Cannot wait for their Sondheim events!!! And this new season seems so exciting! I might just join their memebership just to make sure I get tickets!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Donmar Warehouse Appreciation Thread#8
Posted: 2/21/10 at 2:21pm
Merrily, Parade and Red are just some of the superlative theatre experiences I've had there.

And it's really great that there are so many excellent shoe shops nearby too.