Page: 1

WhatsOnStage Theatregoers Choice Awards - Winners Announced (Mama Will be happy!)

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Best Actress in a Play
Rachel Weisz - A Streetcar Named Desire at the Donmar Warehouse 24.8%

The CAPITAL BREAKS Best Actor in a Play
Jude Law
Hamlet, Donmar West End at Wyndham's 40.80%

Best Supporting Actress in a Play
Miriam Margolyes
Endgame at the Duchess 31.7%

Best Supporting Actor in a Play
Patrick Stewart
Hamlet, RSC at the Novello 38.0%

The BABY GRAND Best Actress in a Musical
Patina Miller
Sister Act at the London Palladium 31.2%

The SEE TICKETS Best Actor in a Musical
Rowan Atkinson
Oliver! at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane 31.6%

Best Supporting Actress in a Musical
Jodie Prenger
Oliver! at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane 29.1%

Best Supporting Actor in a Musical
Oliver Thornton
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert at the Palace 28.7%

The MOBIUS INDUSTRIES Best Solo Performance
Derren Brown
Derren Brown: Enigma at the Adelphi 25.8%

The LES MISERABLES 25th Anniversary Award for Best Ensemble Performance
On the Waterfront
at the Theatre Royal Haymarket 25.5%

The MILK TWO SUGARS Best Takeover in a Role
John Barrowman
La Cage aux Folles at the Playhouse 29.9%

The NICK HERN BOOKS Best New Play
Jerusalem
by Jez Butterworth at the Royal Court Downstairs 23.8%

The WALDORF HILTON Best New Comedy
Calendar Girls
by Tim Firth at the Noel Coward 48.3%

The SUPERBREAK Best New Musical
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
by Allan Scott & Stephan Elliott at the Palace 31.7%

The EMG Best Play Revival
A Streetcar Named Desire
at the Donmar Warehouse 28.7%

The AMBASSADOR TICKETS Best Musical Revival
Oliver!
at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane 43.2%

The SHAKESPEARE 4 KIDZ Best Shakespearean Production
Hamlet
RSC at the Novello 29.80%

Best Director
Trevor Nunn
Inherit the Wind at the Old Vic & A Little Night Music at the Menier Chocolate Factory & Garrick 23.9%

Best Set Designer
Brian Thomson
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert at the Palace 42.00%

The WHITE LIGHT Best Lighting Designer
Natasha Katz
Sister Act at the London Palladium 41.30%

Best Choreographer
Ross Coleman
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert at the Palace 27.4%
Adam Cooper

The DEWYNTERS London Newcomer of the Year
Diana Vickers
The Rise & Fall of Little Voice at the Vaudeville 34.50%

Best Off-West End Production
The Pirates of Penzance
at the Union Theatre 29.90%

The BOOKING OFFICE Best Regional Production
Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall
Bristol Old Vic & tour 25.80%

The GROUPLINE Best West End Show
Wicked 18.80%

The AKA Theatre Event of the Year
The pairing of Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart in Waiting for Godot 38.00%

Full list of percentages can be found here
http://www.whatsonstage.com/news/theatre/london/E8831265985799/Full+List%3A+2010+Whatsonstage.com+Award+Winners.html
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
I'm so pleased for Patina. I was hoping Sister Act would win for Best New Musical though. Can't win 'em all.

That link won't work for me right now, having a lot of problems with the What's On Stage website tonight.

Quick question. I haven't previously followed these awards or the Oliviers before, but I was just wondering if people think that the results of the WOS Awards ever influences the results of the Oliviers?? Obviously the people who decide are different, but perhaps the voters for the Oliviers sometimes see the Public Opinion from these awards and vote similarly?? What do people think??
Once you start to spread it, Baby, if you let it, Love comes right on back to you . . .
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is best of the theatre awards, after all these are voted for by the British public, I know some of you will not agree, as some of the votes seem very mainstream.

There is a clear lack of winning plays in the creators section, this is vice versa for The Evening Standard Awards and Oliver nomination, I will be consistent and still say plays and musicals should be split and have there own award, as they are different genres of stage entertainment and should be treated accordingly.

I would of liked to see Spring Awakening win something.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just like last year I disagree with just about every award category I voted for. Such is the democratic process! LOL
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am personally pleased to see that Ross Coleman won for his PRISCILLA choreography. Ross Coleman passed away unexpectantly last year.
peachesr
Stand-by
Stand-by
I must be missing something because I thought Priscilla was the biggest piece of crap I've seen on a stage in years. Just didnt get it at all. Mind you, I have no understanding of Jodie Prenger either. Clearly I have no understanding of the British theatre going public and what they think is good. Better find another job.
Updated On: 2/15/10 at 06:25 AM
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
I didn't think Priscilla was that bad, but I've seen better. Then again, it's all subjective anyway.

The awards for Oliver must be because of the BBC show. Has it need like that in precious years at these awards with Joseph and the Sound of Music?
Once you start to spread it, Baby, if you let it, Love comes right on back to you . . .
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Looking at the %, The Whatsonstage awards are clearly very odd! In some cases winners got less votes than a Labour Government! Knowing you won for writing Jerusalem is great, but only getting 23.8% of the vote is no award at all, it means that 76.2% of people didnt think you should win (so where's the award there?). I'd be insulted to win an award based on just 18% of the vote as Wicked did - Baffling!

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jodie was always going to win, talent show plus showing in one of the West Ends biggest theatres meant there would have been a large amount of people who would have seen her.

Priscilla as best new musical im with peaches on. Im glad Patina Miller won though.

Thing is with 'peoples choice' awards, how many people will have actually seen all productions to form a fair and even oipinion? None Id imagine, therefore people will just vote for the shows/cast they have seen (in many cases this may just be one or two productions).
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hey Princeton - agree with your last comment. Or maybe they dont see any of the productions and vote for someone they liked in something else they have seen some time back.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I certainly agree with Princton2 too.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think people weo go onto the whats on stage website to vote, do so because they like theatre, I cannot see anyone saying I like Jodie because she was great on that programme, the people who go on this website for one reason, they love theatre.

However one problem is you have had Oliver play to somewhere in the region of 832000 in a year where Sprong Awakening only played to something like 50000 punters.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know in the weeks running up to the awards, Priscilla was handing out flyers telling people how to vote for them on the Whatsonstage awards. Dunno if this might have given it the edge over Sister Act which I think I like slightly more (have seen both of them 4 times and love them both but think Sister Act is the better musical).
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm pleased with the Pricilla wins-and the John Barrowman win.

The latter probably illustrates Princeton's point, someone like Barrowman had legions of fans going to the show and who vote for him in every online poll however small! So things like that skew voting, as do things like TV talent shows.

Personally I like a 'viewer's choice' thrown into awards (like the Oliviers do) but not the whole thing
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
JamieHT
Stand-by
Stand-by
Last time I was at Sister Act they had the flyers on the side, but didn't seem to be giving them to anyone. They were both asking for votes on Twitter as well whe Priscilla has a lot more followers. If Sister Act had only had one nominee in Best Supporting Actress they would've had a higher percentage than Jodie so maybe that messed it up there for them.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Even if I thought a show deserved 'best musical' and they papered me to vote for their show, one thing is for certain, they would be 100% guaranteed not to get my vote!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
People only vote for who they want to win no matter of a show campaigns or not.

I notice how quickly the public forgot about 'Spring Awakening'!

Rowan Atkinson over Tony Sheldon is just an insult to the talent of the latter.
Updated On: 2/15/10 at 11:31 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Rowan Atkinson over Tony Sheldon is just an insult to the talent of the latter. '

Yeah I agree, but we should be surprised should we really? was always going to happen. Didnt think Oliver Thorntons was that deserved really.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tony Sheldon played his role superb, but Rowan Atkinson was just sublime as Fagin, saying that he was the 1 good thing, in a less than impressive show.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't forget about the 'behind the scenes' campaigning that Cameron Mackintosh would have been doing for his beloved, worn out, old rehash of 'Oliver!'
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I was at the Awards last night and had a great time star-spotting (sitting a few seats down from me at the end of my row: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Roger Rees, Matthew Kelly, Ronald Pickup, Roger Allam - but I digress!) WhatsOnStage Theatregoers Choice Awards - Winners Announced (Mama Will be h

I was very pleased for Oliver Thornton, thought he gave a lovely acceptance speech, very heartfelt and emotional. And the Priscilla performance to round off the evening went down a storm.

Biggins and Mel G made a great double act presenting the performers / winners. The latter inparticular had me in stitches.

As for the rest of the awards, well no-one's ever going to be happy with every single one and many are doubtless 'awarded' on name recognition (*cough* Barrowman *cough*), but they keep emphasising the 'public vote' aspect and that's what you get with public votes (to state the bleedin' obvious).
Seen some shows in my time....
Updated On: 2/15/10 at 12:08 PM