Page: 1

Olivier Awards?

TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Olivier Awards?#1
Posted: 2/6/10 at 8:14am
Are the nominations due out this coming week?
Seen some shows in my time....
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Olivier Awards?#2
Posted: 2/6/10 at 9:00am
It's been around now the last few years, but aren't the actual awards going to be a few weeks later this year? Don't know if that will affect when they announce the nominees.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Olivier Awards?#2
Posted: 2/6/10 at 11:41am
The awards are being presented on March 21st this year.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Olivier Awards?#3
Posted: 2/6/10 at 12:34pm
Just like to confirm it is true the BBC used show the Olivier Awards on BBC2?

If they announce the nominations in the next three weeks that would mean Love Never Dies would miss out for the 2009 season, this maybe a blessing as such strong competition this season with Priscilla, Spring Awakening, Sister Act Legally Blonde, this is the exact opposite to last year when there was only two nominations, Zorro and Jersey Boys, everyone was saying on here that Marguerite should of won.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Olivier Awards?#4
Posted: 2/6/10 at 12:37pm
Mmm, i don't recall that many on here saying the boring Henshall show should have won, I certainly didn't!
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Olivier Awards?#5
Posted: 2/6/10 at 12:51pm
Phantom: The Oliviers are for shows that opened the previous year only, so this year's will be for anything that opened between 1st January and 31st December 2009. For example Oliver! will be eligible this year as it's official opening was in '09, even though it began previews way back in December '08. Things that have opened and will open this year will be eligible for the 2011 awards.
Updated On: 2/6/10 at 12:51 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Olivier Awards?#6
Posted: 2/6/10 at 1:30pm
Cheers Maurice, did not know that, so that would mean Legally Blonde will not be legible for this years awards, Oliver would have to go in best revival with Hello Dolly and A Little Night Music another strong category.

Mama, sure I heard you on here singing the praises of Marguerite?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Olivier Awards?#7
Posted: 2/6/10 at 1:43pm
I compared it to what a term at a German concentration camp may have been like! Ring any bells on my comment snow. I went to the press launch and managed to stay awake those 30/40 mins and still somehow got dragged back to see the full production when it opened -dire!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Olivier Awards?#8
Posted: 2/6/10 at 2:44pm
I quite liked Marguerite, but its not award worthy. the sets and costumes were gorgeous, as was some of the music. But Ruthie and Alexander were miscast and the characters made it hard to care about them, meaning any sort of heart or emotion was not there.

Best thing about it was the always amazing Julian Ovenden
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Olivier Awards?#9
Posted: 2/6/10 at 3:38pm
so that would mean Legally Blonde will not be legible for this years awards, Oliver would have to go in best revival with Hello Dolly and A Little Night Music another strong category.

Yes, Legally Blonde will be eligible next year. Oliver! probably wasn't the best example for me to pick, since I don't know if it's likedly to be nominated (for the Best Revival award) as it's pretty much an exact re-creation of the Sam Mendes production from the '90s.
Updated On: 2/6/10 at 03:38 PM
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Olivier Awards?#10
Posted: 2/6/10 at 4:36pm
Yes the BBC used to screen The SWET Awards as they were then and the Oliviers as they have become.

It was always a mixed affair as this was in the day when musicals didn't dominate the West End scene. The excerpts they used to show for the play nominations just didn't work and unless an actor had been seen on TV in a comedy or drama, people just didn't know who they were!

Having said that the screening of these awards were a big event to me and as a teenager I used to dress in an evening suit to watch them on my TV. I know sad, isn't it?!!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Olivier Awards?#11
Posted: 2/6/10 at 4:41pm
Cheers Marius, I learned something, that I didn't know, I mentioned Oliver not to be critical of your statement, but to introduce the revival category, as competition for 2009 looks to be hot, thanks again.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Olivier Awards?#12
Posted: 2/6/10 at 8:44pm
The BBC screenings in the 70s and 80s used to be fab cos the segments were always recorded in the theatre the relative show was playing at.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Olivier Awards?#13
Posted: 2/7/10 at 9:41am
I used to watch them on the BBC as well. My parents used to video tape them and I'm absolutely certain I've still got their videos of them - I just don't have a video player to play them on.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Olivier Awards?#14
Posted: 2/7/10 at 9:52am
i emailed the BBC today, to enquire if there is any chance they can film them again, I won't hold my breath though.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Olivier Awards?#15
Posted: 2/7/10 at 10:16am
They do need to get the awards back on tv in some form, but as usual its down to money. Even a showing on BBC4 or Sky Arts would cost a lot.

We just seem to be in a time when a majority of the British public will only watch an awards shows if they are honoring Corrie for its 100th year
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Olivier Awards?#16
Posted: 2/7/10 at 10:48am
The BBC have plenty of dosh, more money than some African nations, The Olivier Awards would entertain and inform, which is the bywords for the BBC, which makes up there adage.

Sky Arts on the other hand, would not have so much of a budget,but while the Olivier Awards on, it would make a good opportunity to advertise shows in London.

Out of these two, it is the BBC's duty to show these awards, amazing they could show these awards a couple of decades ago, but in the day of multi-channels, they can't.