Palm Beach Photographic Centre Announces 22nd Annual FOTOfusion
GREATEST HITS: A Special Exhibition by Albert Watson, one of the world's most successful and prolific photographers, will run at the Photo Centre from January 24 through March 11, 2017.
FOTOfusion, the popular cultural festival "where creativity and technology fuse," attracts hundreds of professional and hobbyist photographers to West Palm Beach for five days of workshops, lectures, panel discussions, multimedia presentations, portfolio reviews, hands-on computer classes, demonstrations, and photo shoots taught by more than 60 world renowned photographers, digital imaging artists and picture editors - all of whom donate their time and expertise to educate, mentor and encourage creativity among participants of all levels and ages.
Among the highlights of FOTOfusion 2017 will be:
The annual FOTOmentor Award will be presented to Albert Watson, who is renowned for his fashion, celebrity and fine art photography. He has shot over 100 covers for Vogue and 40 for Rolling Stone magazine since the 1970s. He has been acclaimed as one of the 20 most influential photographers of all time alongside Richard Avedon and Irving Penn. Many of his portraits are iconic portraits of rock stars, rappers, actors and other celebrities.
Watson also has created the photography for hundreds of successful advertising campaigns for major corporations, such as Prada, the Gap, Levi's, Revlon and Chanel, and he has directed many TV commercials and shot dozens of posters for major Hollywood movies. All the while, Watson has spent much of his time working on personal projects, creating stunning images from his travels and interests, from Marrakech to Las Vegas to the Orkneys. Much of this work, along with his well-known portraits and fashion photographs, has been featured in museum and gallery shows worldwide. In June 2015, Albert Watson was awarded an Order of the British Empire (OBE) by Queen Elizabeth II for his lifetime contribution to and achievements in photography.
Each year, the PBPC Awards Committee selects a photographer to receive the FOTOmentor Award in honor of his/her lifetime achievements in the world of photography. Among the previous recipients of this prestigious award are Walter Ioos, Jr., Joyce Tenneson, Bill Eppridge, Ralph Gibson, Gordon Parks, Sebastiao Salgado, Arnold Newman, Ruth Bernhard, David Hume Kennerly, Duane Michaels and David Rubinger.
The annual FOTOfusion Awards Dinner will be held on Wednesday, January 26, at 6:30 pm. The cost to attend is $200 per person ($100 for FOTOfusion passport holders) and tickets are available by calling the Photo Centre at 561.253.2600.
The public is invited to FOTOvision, a free event that will feature incredible photography from across the globe, including the world premiere of Pulitzer Power, the back-stories of several Pulitzer Prize winning photographers and their editors. It will be held on Friday, January 27, from 8 to 9:30 pm on the Great Lawn on the Waterfront in downtown West Palm Beach. FOTOvision is generously sponsored by the West Palm Beach Arts and Entertainment District and Zuma Press.
In addition FOTOfusion will offer numerous informative and entertaining public presentations by some of the world's most distinguished, award-winning photographers. General admission is $10 per person or FREE for members of the Palm Beach Photographic Centre and FOTOfusion passport holders.
Wednesday, January 25:
· Bearing Witness with four-time Pulitzer Prize winner Carol Guzy
· What's Wrong with This Picture (and How Do I Fix It)? with author/photographer Julie Adair King
· Combat from Behind the Camera with Stacy Pearsall
· The Most Important Picture with Brendan Bannon
· Collect What You Love with Daily Kaplan
· Chen Zhixian: The Statue on the Square with Robert Pledge
Thursday, January 26:
· Camera Ready: The Polaroid 20x24 Project with John Reuter
· The Photo Editor/Photographer Relationship with Erika Larsen and Kurt Mutchler
· Greatest Hits with Albert Watson
· Sony Tips & Tricks with Hector Parayuelos
· Going Against the Tide with Robert Farber
· The 2016 Election in Photos with Morrigan McCarthy, Ruaridh Stewart and Mark Murrmann
Friday, January 27:
· Nature Photography Meets the Modern World with Dennis Dimick
· Personal Favorites with Craig Semetko
· A Life in Photography with Joyce Tenneson
· Coming Back from the Dead: Basic Vernacular of Photography with Anthony Bannon
· David Burnett: Man Without Gravity with Robert Pledge
· The Engaged Observer - Visual Storytelling with Deanna Fitzmaurice
Saturday, January 28:
· The Olympics - 17 and Counting with Gary Hershorn
· Inside Rolling Stone with Sacha Lecca
· The Executive Portrait with Gregory Heisler
· Cuba Exposed with Vincent Versace
· Behind the Scenes of a Photo Shoot with Brad Smith
· Pulitzer Power Back Stories with Carol Guzy, Deanne Fitzmaurice and Tom Kennedy; moderated by Scott Mc Kiernan
For more information about each of these public events during FOTOfusion 2017, including time and location, please visit www.FOTOfusion.org.
About the Palm Beach Photographic Centre:
A registered 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, the Palm Beach Photographic Centre is dedicated to the enrichment of life through photographic exhibitions, workshops, community programs, and other educational and cultural events that promote the photographic arts. Located in the City Center municipal complex at 415 Clematis Street in downtown West Palm Beach, the Photo Centre's hours are 10 am to 6 pm Monday through Thursday, and 10 am to 5 pm Saturday and Sunday. Admission is free. For more information, please call 561.253.2600 or visit www.workshop.org or www.fotofusion.org.
Photo credit: Albert Watson