Stitcher Announces Fall Programming For Its Free & Premium Networks
Podcast industry leader Midroll Media continues to grow its Stitcher podcast network and premium audio offerings, partnering with bold-faced names from the worlds of news, entertainment and popular culture to launch new shows and unveil exciting updates for its marquee podcasts.
The Stitcher network will debut four new shows in coming weeks, available for free wherever listeners access podcasts:
•?In The Dream, launching Sept. 24, host Jane Marie (previously of This American Life) infiltrates the world of multi-level marketing schemes. Whether called MLMs or Pyramid schemes, companies like Amway convince members to turn their friends and family into a sales force. From social media feeds, to family get-togethers -MLMs are everywhere, often hiding in plain sight. "The Dream" traces their footprint from a remote Michigan town to the White House.
• From Sheryl Sandberg's nonprofit LeanIn.Org, Tilted, launching Oct. 9, tells the story of the uneven playing field--the gender bias that lurks in unexpected corners, the impact it has on our everyday lives, and what happens when women lean in and start driving change. Hosted by LeanIn.Org president Rachel Thomas, the show includes an all-star lineup of guests, including Phoebe Robinson ("2 Dope Queens"), Eva Longoria, Joanna Coles (former Hearst Chief Content Officer), Sean Fennessey ("The Ringer"), and--of course--Sandberg herself.
• Sold in America, which launches Oct. 10, is an eight-episode journey into the world of selling sex in the United States. Expanding on the television series from national news network Newsy, and hosted by journalist and activist Noor Tagouri, this deeply personal, and deeply reported, series takes listeners across the country to meet the human faces of this billion-dollar trade and uncovers its surprising misconceptions.
• Josie & Jonny Are Having a Baby (With You!), which launches Nov. 6, follows comedians Josie Long and Jonny Donahoe through their not-totally-planned pregnancy as they try to prepare for the birth of their first child. With each episode, Jonny and Josie sit down with a well-known guest parent and ask them a lot of questions from "What is no sleep really like?" to "Are we allowed to politically indoctrinate them?" and "How on earth are we going to pay for this thing?" Whether you're a parent already, thinking of becoming one or just want to laugh at two people trying and failing to succeed at parenthood, this show is for you.
On Sept. 12, audiences everywhere will be able to enjoy Marvel & Stitcher's Wolverine: The Long Night, Marvel's first scripted podcast. The show follows Special Agents Sally Pierce and Tad Marshall as they investigate a string of mysterious deaths in Burns, Alaska. They soon find there's more going on than meets the eye. Recognized as "a masterclass in dramatic realism" by the Financial Times and named by Time Magazine as one of the "50 Best Podcasts to Listen to Right Now" after making its initial debut on Stitcher Premium, the show stars Celia Keenan-Bolger and Ato Essandoh as Agents Pierce and Marshall, with Richard Armitage as Wolverine. Stitcher Premium subscribers will still be able to listen to all ten episodes now.
Following the success of "Wolverine: The Long Night," the brand's subscription-based service, Stitcher Premium, also continues its growth as the go-to destination for high-quality audio content, as it brings two new, exclusive shows to its platform this fall:
• Culture Genius, launching Sept. 12, is a "Black AF" trivia game show hosted by Amber J. Phillips and Jazmine Walker, the creators and hosts of the Black Joy Mixtape podcast. Each week, Amber and Jaz recap some of the most iconic moments in black culture while quizzing a panel of contestants made up of some of the best, brightest and funniest talents in media, art and culture. Running through trivia categories like "Black in The Day," "The Price is A'ight" and "Buss A Rhyme," every show is a celebration of black excellence from the past, present, and the future. Listen as contestants go hard to earn respect and the esteemed title, "Culture Genius."
• Purple Panties is a new erotic fiction podcast created by New York Times bestselling author Zane, launching Oct. 11. On the outside, Maddox, Loren and Stephanie go against the grain when it comes to sex. But as relationships shift and physical needs change, can they keep up with the facade? Listeners will follow them on their journey as they navigate their professional and personal lives.
Katie Couric's acclaimed podcast will air a two-part audio documentary, September 20 & 27, ten years after Couric's famous interview with Sarah Palin. The doc will reconstruct what happened in front of the camera and behind the scenes, and whether Palin helped pave the way for Donald Trump. Couric, and her co-host Brian Goldsmith, who was a producer on the Palin interview, will speak with some of the key players at the time including Obama chief strategist David Axelrod, McCain campaign chief Steve Schmidt, McCain senior adviser Nicolle Wallace, GOP pollster Frank Luntz and former McCain consultant Mike Murphy.
Stitcher is one of the world's most popular podcast listening services, with a growing network of original content and a premium subscription service. Stitcher is part of Midroll Media, a leading podcast company that is also home to the Earwolf network and its top-ranked comedy podcasts and the Midroll advertising network, representing over 300 of the world's largest podcasts. With offices in Los Angeles, New York City, and San Francisco, Midroll was founded in 2010 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP).