Page: 1

"Making it on Broadway" Book

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photojacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Making it on Broadway" Book#1
Posted: 5/13/09 at 7:09am

Does anyone have this or recommend it? I saw it at Barnes & Noble yesterday and asked them to hold it for me. I have skimmed through the list of authors who gave stories to the book and throughout the first few chapters. I was in a hurry and went ahead and just asked them to hold it for me. I have also seen what is available on Amazon.com's "Search this Book" thing. lol. Thanks!
Updated On: 5/13/09 at 07:09 AM
jennamajig Profile Photojennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Making it on Broadway' Book#2
Posted: 5/13/09 at 7:39am
I just checked this book out of my local library, though I've yet to start as I am just finishing up Broadway Babylon (by Boze Hadleigh - very interesting read that I recommend). I'm looking forward to reading it, however, as I came across the title on a blog (wish I could remember which one) that raved about it.
Geridith Profile PhotoGeridith Profile Photo
Geridith
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: 'Making it on Broadway' Book#2
Posted: 5/13/09 at 7:58am
This is one of my favorite theatre books ever, I recommend anyone who is considering working in theatre in any capacity to read it.
ashley0139
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Making it on Broadway' Book#3
Posted: 5/13/09 at 8:02am
Do a search for it on here. There are a lot of good threads about it. It's a good book.
"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
jejr
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Making it on Broadway' Book#4
Posted: 5/13/09 at 8:46am
It's a great book and really let's the reader know how hard it is to make it on Broadway.
beyondblessed Profile Photobeyondblessed Profile Photo
beyondblessed
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: 'Making it on Broadway' Book#5
Posted: 5/13/09 at 8:57am
(Rises from the dust)

Yeah, it's a great book. I own it and really found it to be a good read. It gives both sides of the theatrical spectrum directly from the mouths of Broadway actors. I really enjoyed the book and I would definitely recommend that you read it.
Going to a musical late in its run is like going to a prostitute late in her shift.
Glory Profile PhotoGlory Profile Photo
Glory
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Making it on Broadway' Book#6
Posted: 5/13/09 at 9:17am
Great book, I got it for my birthday a few years back. It has a lot of awesome stories in it, so I highly recommend it to any Broadway fan!
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
broadwayfan7 Profile Photobroadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Making it on Broadway' Book#8
Posted: 5/13/09 at 10:23am
I really enjoyed it, and highly recommend it!
"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."
Chrysanthemum62001
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Making it on Broadway' Book#9
Posted: 5/13/09 at 12:17pm
Great book.
"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL
lesmis Profile Photolesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Making it on Broadway' Book#10
Posted: 5/13/09 at 1:17pm
I loved it!!
ghostlight2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Making it on Broadway' Book#11
Posted: 5/13/09 at 6:58pm
It's very slanted towards the negative, but if you know that going in, it can be a useful read. Take the "horror stories" with a grain of salt. There's even a story about a haunted apartment and many of the stories are about touring companies.
BroadwayBound062 Profile PhotoBroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Making it on Broadway' Book#12
Posted: 5/14/09 at 1:50am
Read it!
Genius lasts longer than beauty.
fbueller
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: 'Making it on Broadway' Book#13
Posted: 5/25/09 at 4:28pm
I jusdt finished reading 'MIOB'. It was a great read! Thanks so much for all of the recommendations on this board. I only heard about this book by postings on this board.

The only thing I thought was ironic was the link to the makingitonbroadway.com website for additional information on the last page. After so many stories of how difficult it is to make a living on Broadway, I was expecting the site to simply feature additional anecdotes. I was surprised to find that the site was essentially an advertisement for extremely expensive acting/singing/dancing workshops targeting teenagers.