Page: 1

Actors without a theater degree from college

wsw20
Swing
Swing
So stellalove's topic brought up Norm Lewis. His story is quite remarkable as he didnt go to college for a theater degree. In fact he went for business and advertising, and only took up theater after a cruise ship job.

So, are there any other actors who are similar in their journey to theater, and even more so in their journey to Broadway?
dramagirl487
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
i'm not positive if John Lloyd Young has a degree in theater as well, but i know he went to brown and majored in business. he told me himself =)
skb2010 Profile Photoskb2010 Profile Photo
skb2010
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sutton Foster!!!! She went to Carnegie Mellon for a year, but decided to just jump head first in preforming. And then she won a Tony. And got 2 nominations.

I <3 Sutton. Can't wait to see how Shrek is!

Fan Girl Mode is done now. =]
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I? I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Karen Ziemba was a dance major. She performed in a ballet company while in college.
BDavis0092
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Well if you mean just a theatre degree then both Kristin Chenoweth and Audra McDonald have their degrees in voice I believe.
www.youtube.com/BwayNY225
VonTussleGirl Profile PhotoVonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Carolee Carmello has a degree in business administration.
oohshizz146 Profile Photooohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Derrick Baskin (Spelling Bee, Little Mermaid) got his degree in Biology, he told me in a talkback I had with my school on a trip!.

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson
Updated On: 6/28/08 at 03:37 PM
PeaceFrog
Understudy
Understudy
Ben Kingsley who is in my opinion one of the the true greats doesn't have a theatre degree. He doesn't have any degree at all. Actually, he was turned away from RADA for being too good if you can believe it. Instead, the then head of acting at RADA set him up with a professional internship.

Really, a lot of the older American actors don't have degrees - at least not BFAs - because those types of programs were very rare when they were coming along. Neither did most of the great American acting teachers. I think Carnegie Mellon and DePaul were the only American schools offering acting degrees before the mid 1960s. I'm not completely sure about this, but I think even theatre studies degrees were few and far between.
JohnWells
Swing
Swing

dramagirl487 said: "i'm not positive if John Lloyd Young has a degree in theater as well, but i know he went to brown and majored in business. he told me himself =)"

I know a couple of friends who study at the theatre faculty, show off more than talent! It seems that they are already filming in series and advertisements, but it’s sickening to look - some are all “plastic”, what kind of acting is there, fake play.

write my essay for me

Page: 1