Let's Have a Big Hand for...MISS PATTY DUKE!

PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's some hardcore choreography they've got going on in the background.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just love her. Does anybody remember seeing her in "Me, Natalie"? I LOVED that film so much. I wanted to be her and live in a ridiculously huge apartment in Greenwich Village with fellow 'love children' and toot around town on a motorcycle.... I still think of it whenever I'm wandering around the Village.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I loved "Me, Natalie?" so much I think I WAS Me Natalie.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wish they would release this gem on DVD. I managed to get hold of a VHS copy from someone that is watchable but it does suffer from some generational loss. Still it's nice to pull out and watch now and then. Nancy Marchand is a gem and that Henry Mancini music immediately transports me back in time!

(I started playing it after reading this thread and just saw Al Pacino's big film debut. Gads but he was pretty!)
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Updated On: 3/29/08 at 09:38 AM
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm so jealous! I always wanted three pilgrim women singing backup for me.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
singingbackup Profile Photosingingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How about me dressed as three pilgrim women?
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I wonder who convinced Miss Patty Duke that she could even carry a tune? Were people deaf in the 1960s?
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
(I dare you to) Hear her sing Peter, Paul and Mary's "The Cruel War"...
Patty Duke sings The Cruel War on Merv Griffin (1966)
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Here she's Nancy to Mike Douglas' Frank while they sing "Something Stupid"
Mike Douglas and Miss Patty Duke sing "Something Stupid"
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Read "Call Me Anna" and you'll learn that no one ever convinced her of it. She thought it was ridiculous then and still to this day thinks it's ridiculous that anyone ever wanted to hear her sing.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 3/29/08 at 04:46 PM
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Actually I have to take back what I originally posted. She could carry a tune given the right material. That first song that PJ posted was not suited for her voice. She does sound pleasant enough on the "Something Stupid" duet with Mike Douglas and she's not half bad on the Peter, Paul and Mary folk song.
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Here she is Patty-A-Go-Go doing England Swings on The Perry Como Show. Check out that ga-roovy sixties choreography and her go-go boots!!!
Patty sings England Swings on The Perry Como Show
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
She may have thought it was ridiculous then but she went ahead and did it anyway. C'mon Rath it wasn't like the Rosses were putting a gun to her head were they? She did it and took the money and ran. She was getting payed after all and it only gave her more and more publicity after all regardless if she was good or bad.

And I've read CALL ME ANNA, three times. In hindsight she may feel it was ridiculous but I don't believe she thought so at the time or else she wouldn't have done it in the first place.

Updated On: 3/29/08 at 04:53 PM
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"C'mon Rath it wasn't like the Rosses were putting a gun to her head were they?"

You're kidding, right?
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
No I'm not.

In hindsight she may feel it was ridiculous but I don't believe she thought so at the time or else she wouldn't have done it in the first place.
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
They probably brainwashed her enough at the time to make her think she really was a talented singer.
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Wow! For someone who didn't think so much of her own singing she sure made a lot of singing appearance on television variety shows! Here she is singing in Japanese on THE MIKE DOUGLAS SHOW in 1967. I believe she was already married on not being managed by The Ross' at the time she did this
Patty sing in Japanese
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Then they went and dubbed her in "Valley of the Dolls."

My favorite EVER.

Especially the "wardrobe malfunction" near the end. re: Let's Have a Big Hand for...MISS PATTY DUKE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFFsCWk4Gs8&feature=related
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oh, that wardrobe malfuncion involving the beaded necklace is one great example of the many unintentional happenings surrounding the film.

Oh, here she is singing "And We Were Strangers" on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1968 a year after VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. She was no longer being manipulated/managed by The Ross at this time, yet for someone who claims they couldn't sing and didn't want to but was "obligated" to she continued to do it anyway? She was 21 at the time this was filmed.

Patty Duke - And We Were Strangers
Updated On: 3/29/08 at 05:36 PM
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"She does sound pleasant enough on the "Something Stupid" duet with Mike Douglas and she's not half bad on the Peter, Paul and Mary folk song."

Retro - if you yourself made the above statement, what exactly IS your point about Ms. Duke? You make taking payment for getting a gig sound like something she should be embarrassed about. I don't get it.
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
No she shouldn't be embarrased for taking payment for a gig.

My point about Miss Duke is this: She claims she never thought of herself as much of a singer and was basically doing it under contractual obligations forced upon her by her managers/svengalis at the time, The Ross' but then she continued to do so even after they were no longer her managers and she no longer had a recording contract with United Artists Records. If she hated her voice so much and hated singing and was embarrased by it why did she continue subjecting herself to it?
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I wonder if she ever tackled "Blame it on th Bossa Nova"? Something tells me she could have done a decent version of this song.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love Patty Duke. I really do I just don't totally buy her "I was forced into singing, I was so young and manipulated" bit. I honestly think a lot of the material she was given did not suit her voice but she does do a nice job with "Something Stupid" and even with the "And We Were Strangers" song on the Sullivan show.

I loved her so much when I was young and her performance in VALLEY that when I ran across her VALLEY album and the VALLEY soundtrack at a used record store in the Village in the late 80s I opted to buy her album over the soundtrack because I figured she sang the songs in the film anyway and by gettng her album as opposed to the soundtrack album of the film I would not only be getting her songs but additional songs as well. Imagine my HORROR when I got home and played that record only to discover she did not sing her songs in the film! I was crushed! The next day I ran over to that store and purchased the VALLEY soundtrack. Yes it was traumatizing but I love you anyway Patty!!!! re: Let's Have a Big Hand for...MISS PATTY DUKE!
nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
They made her sing and Elvis act.