Page: 1

Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?

YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#1
Posted: 3/24/08 at 12:27am
I have to by a sofa for my guest room, and am not sure whether to get a traditional convertible sofa that pulls out into a bed, or a nice futon.

I was tending towards the Futon, because it does not have that nasty metal bar that the sleeper sofa does, but was curious if anyone here has a preference.

Thoughts?
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/24/08 at 12:30am
Updated On: 1/24/09 at 12:30 AM
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#2
Posted: 3/24/08 at 12:34am
I sleep on a sleeper sofa as my regular bed every night (I live in a studio apartment), and it really does depend on quality. Most importantly, it's the quality of the mattress that counts. I paid a little extra to get a Sealy Posturpedic mattress that works with my sleeper sofa mechanism, and it's more comfortable than the regular bed I grew up with.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#3
Posted: 3/24/08 at 12:36am
Thanks!

I have to go to buy one, and I am not sure where to even start - I know that the mattress is important - is that something you can update at the point of purchase, or have to buy separately?
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#4
Posted: 3/24/08 at 12:40am
futon, they are more comfortable.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
verynewyorkcurious Profile Photoverynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#5
Posted: 3/24/08 at 12:40am
I personally would get a sleeper sofa/sofa bed, but it would depend on how much I'd be willing to spend. Futons look kinda temporary, college student to me, but price-wise they make sense. I think IKEA has the cheapest basic futon. West Elm will have nicer ones.

If you're willing to spend more money, a nice sofa bed can be kept for a long time. Choose one that doesn't look too modern, otherwise it will look old..fast. IKEA's quality has dropped in the past 5-8 years, so really check out the item before you decide to purchase. I have the IKEA/PS sofa bed I got in 2002. It's not the nicest, and doesn't really blend in with the decor, but it's really comfortable. Unfortunately it broke, and no one knows how to fix it. One of my favorite stores is ROOM & BOARD. They have fantastic furniture, including sleeper sofas. Check it out.
verynewyorkcurious Profile Photoverynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#6
Posted: 3/24/08 at 12:41am
I just remembered, I slept on my friend's IKEA futon when I visited her in London. The mattress is really thin, and it was a pain in the ass to unfold/fold.
The West Elm futon
Updated On: 3/24/08 at 12:41 AM
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#7
Posted: 3/24/08 at 12:41am
YouWantitWhen????, I bought mine at Jennifer Convertibles. They offer the special mattress with all of their sleepers.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
harris007 Profile Photoharris007 Profile Photo
harris007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#8
Posted: 3/24/08 at 12:45am
the cows vote for the futon
Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#9
Posted: 3/24/08 at 12:51am
There is a Jennifer Convertibles close to my place - I guess I will be visiting there tomorrow!
husk_charmer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#10
Posted: 3/24/08 at 1:24am
I got a really comfortable futon at Wal-Mart in 05...I slept on it more often than not. My ex-roomie got it when I moved.
http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#11
Posted: 3/24/08 at 1:27am
Well, I can afford to buy something decent. I checked out Jennifer Convertibles, and I thought the advertised promotions were almost too cheap - I was expecting to spend between 600-1000 for something nice.

Maybe I don't need to spend that much...
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#12
Posted: 3/24/08 at 1:28am
I've slept on both futons and sleeper sofas, and I'll take a futon any day (though, either one works for me).
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#13
Posted: 3/24/08 at 3:17am
A good sleeper is worth it. I had a Bennett Furniture sleeper sofa, and it was one of the most comfortable sofas, as was the bed. I've had futons, and they're great if you have a platform. If there are slats, after a while you will start to feel them.
Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

cubanpab Profile Photocubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#14
Posted: 3/24/08 at 9:26am
i did the futon thing for a while and it was horrible. i paid lots of money for a really thick mattress too and it still managed to always slide off the frame, get lumpy, etc. they're a pain. mind you i'm sure sleepers run the risk of being uncomfortable if the matress isnt good, but i can only assume they'd be much better.
jaystarr Profile Photojaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#15
Posted: 3/24/08 at 9:31am
Yup- the Sealy posturepedic matress is the key to comfortable sleep. You dont have to buy that though, there's an affordable brand that you can get at WalMart for 1/2 price.

J*
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#16
Posted: 3/24/08 at 9:46am
YWIW, what about a really nice daybed?
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#17
Posted: 3/24/08 at 10:29am
D, I bought an amazing futon and frame (made it look like a sofe when I moved to San Francisco in 1999, and it was comfortable. Also, in the 80's in Chicago my bed was a futon, also amazing.

I have yet to sleep on a sleeper-sofa that was confortable sitting or sleeping.

I would not buy a cheap futon.....think I paid $700 in 1998, it lasted until 2006, when we donated it.

a day bed? People still use those?
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
mauriposa Profile Photomauriposa Profile Photo
mauriposa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#18
Posted: 3/24/08 at 10:37am
My husband is a chronic snorer, so I sleep on my futon semi-regularly. It's a heck of a lot more comfortable than any sofa bed I've ever slept on. Of course, a quality mattress is going to make the difference either way.
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#19
Posted: 3/24/08 at 11:00am
Elphaba, yes. The reason I mentioned it is because a friend purchased an absolutely gorgeous cast-iron daybed last year.

Here's a site with some nice ones:

http://www.daybeds.com/
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#20
Posted: 3/24/08 at 11:03am
hmm, well to each their own. I have always found them a bit old-fashioned for my taste, plus for anyone over say 5'10" they are a pain as you can't lay straight.......

a friends mother spent her remaining years on one, so they've always freaked me out. When she passed, it was the first thing he burned (he had issues, lol)
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#21
Posted: 3/24/08 at 11:06am
I hear ya. But today's day beds don't look like the beds from the '70s (though you may have a point about height). I've just always had an issue with sleeper sofas. The bar always kills my back (I'd rather just fall asleep on the couch with a pillow and blanket).
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#22
Posted: 3/24/08 at 11:32am
I thought of a day bed, but the room is relatively small, and if my sisters come with the husbands, I want at least a full or queen size bed for the two of them.

I guess when my back is a bit better, I will do some comfort testing of my own. I may take a trip to Jennifer Convertibles o get an idea.

Thanks all for the input - it seems that you are all as conflicted as I am about this!
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poll - Sleeper Sofa or a Sofa/Futon?#23
Posted: 3/24/08 at 11:38am
I find futons uncomfortable to sit on more than to sleep on.

I bought a great Jen. Conv. years ago, for a good price, but they never told me to measure my door, and when it was delivered, it was taken away because it didnt fit. It had to be rescheduled to have another company come, take it apart and put it together again in my apartment. I loved it for 2 years, and had to sleep on it on one occasion, and never had a complaint.

Then I moved and had to leave it.

Moral?
Measure your door!
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS