I know I'm obsessed with this dumb movie, but I can't help it!

best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Here's a cool clip I've never seen before of Burt Bacharach teaching "The World Is a Circle" to the kids who sing it on the film soundtrack! I would have killed to be one of those kids!

I can't help thinking that "Lost Horizon" would make a really good stage musical today, with the right director, musical director and especially choreographer.

And obviously, there is some great material out there for a killer "special edition" DVD release. Not only is there over a half-hour's worth of deleted scenes and songs, there's behind-the-scenes archival footage like this!

I know... I'll shut up now. Maybe.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WtAL0HDcNOY&feature=related
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 3/23/08 at 11:38 AM
romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've never seen this before but I've heard about it. Loved the original. Is the musical version even available on dvd?
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not available on DVD!

An old Pioneer laser disc was released with a lot of deleted scenes and songs put back into it.

It was a huge bomb when it first came out. An A-list dramatic cast shoved uncomfortably into a soft-rock musical by Bacharach and David.

It's a fantastic train wreck that I have adored since I was 9 years old!

And I think the elements are wonderful... they just collide in such a messy way. Straighten it all out, and I think it would be great on the stage! You could even add songs from the Bacharach/David catalog to expand the score!

*ducks*
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just a couple of thoughts:
Why are all the kids so lily white?
Was that a 11 year old Linda Eder?
Why does Burt creep me out when my mother had such a crush?
Why didn't the Brady Bunch record this classic?

PEACE.
Updated On: 3/23/08 at 12:22 PM
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Valid questions, Sue.

1) All the "filmed" kids were Asian for this number, but the music score was recorded in London---where there were only white children apparently in 1972/73.

2) Not unless she's British too.

3) Burt was sexy-eccentric. Handsome but weird. Love him or hate him. I think he's pretty damn cute here.

4) Oh, they should have. Other Lost Horizon songs were recorded by the 5th Dimension and Diana Ross with Marvin Gaye... so why not the Bradys!?! At least they should have wrecked it on their Variety Hour in a glittery medley about "a better place."
sondheimboy2 Profile Photosondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You know what they say, best12bars:

Admitting it is the first step.
"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've posted this before, but I'm posting it again in this "Lost Horizon" obsession thread, because...

I love these two guys in Amsterdam for making this video!!! The song is from this movie, don'tcha know.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hjH79mkw--0

You gotta see this.
Updated On: 3/23/08 at 08:18 PM
Silbee
Understudy
Understudy
The clip, I am sure I saw this in a TV programme about Burt just before the release of Lost Horizon all those years ago.

I only saw the film once once, and loved the score. My favourite song was Question Me An Answer. I bought the soundtrack as soon as it was released to CD.

Burt is/was a beautiful looking man as can be witnessed from the clip. An immense talent, also.

I found it particulary poignant that he mentioned Nikki at the beginning of the clip, she took her own life a couple of years ago. He (and Angie) must have been devastated...

JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I never liked the original film version of Lost Horizon, or the novel on which it is based. The musical film remake is like a freak show of sorts. I find it utterly unwatchable. I do love the musical's score, however, even if it's totally wrong for the piece.
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Wow thanks for posting this besty. I also have a soft spot for this musical. It's so wonderfully cheesy, goofy, campy, beautiful, funny, sublime, charming and craptastic all at the same time! It made me want to walk all over Shangri-La with Liv Ullman as we swayed our arms back and forth to the beat of the music!
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But wait, kids, there's MORE!

I have to see this whole vintage documentary on the film. I didn't even know there was one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FxNzts_60TU&feature=related

I'm a little disturbed by the tennis court right in the middle of the "monastery," but I had heard they filmed it in a spa/resort up in Ojai, California. I wonder if I can check it out if I order a massage.

They also show a glimpse of the "fertility dance" staged outside with Olivia Hussey and many dancers that was filmed, then cut, and is the only sequence I know of that is still "lost" from this film.

Burt also starts to talk about how he got upset with Hal David while working on the movie. And how it was a "disaster" trying to teach Sally Kellerman how to sing. This movie experience was the primary cause for the legendary songwriting team's breakup.

I know WAY too much about this stinker. Yet, still I want more!
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
okay...thanks to this stupid site and besty, I am now obsessed with this score and seeing this movie. I somehow missed it growing up, but since I adore Bacharach, it's no real surprise that i love it.

I found some mp3s of The World is a Circle, Reflections (OY!), the title song sung by Bacharach, and my favorite, Share the Joy.

Anyone know of any others? I'd love the mp3 of On the List, and the rest!
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Doodle, "Lost Horizon" had some covers made when it came out.

iTunes has "The Things I Will Not Miss" recorded by Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye. I love their rendition!

Also, the 5th Dimension recorded "Living Together, Growing Together" as a single.

And the title tune, as it appeared in the movie sung by Shawn Phillips, was released as a single too.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The gods of the world of DVD take heed:

BESTY NEEDS HIS HEROIN!!!
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You ain't kiddin'! They're my clients too, and I've done everything but camp out on their doorstep.

And yes, I've mentioned it a few times while working on jobs. Funny how it always seems to come up in a conversation.

re: I know I'm obsessed with this dumb movie, but I can't help it!
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Doodle, a CD of the original soundtrack exists.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But of course! I thought he knew that, but maybe not.

Amazon link
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks, kids...btw, is this what killed Bobby Van? Or was it that b**ch Elaine Joyce and her success on Match Game?
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah, poor Bobby. I worked with him, and he was just a super nice guy.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Burt got his start as Marlene Dietrich's accompanist and best friend of sorts.

Oh, the stories he could tell...
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Thanks, kids...btw, is this what killed Bobby Van? Or was it that b**ch Elaine Joyce and her success on Match Game?"

It was probably when he hosted that game show "Make Me Laugh."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vRNnRJny9j4
sondheimboy2 Profile Photosondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
best12bars,

I found this clip while "YouTube"-ing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Ue1PcQBmQ

Did you know of it already?

Or, did I just lug some coals to New Castle?
"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks, sb2!

That clip was part of the wonderful Pioneer laser disc release that restored all the missing scenes and songs (save one: The elaborate fertility dance, where I believe the deleted footage was determined to be lost).

I like the song, but I like 'em all! Hopefully, if/when Sony releases this movie, they'll include all the deleted footage from the Pioneer release.

They could even do it up as a nice 2-disc set and include the original 1937 Frank Capra version of Lost Horizon, since Sony owns the rights to both!

I know, I'm dreaming.
cturtle Profile Photocturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
those amsterdam boys and their vid are WONDERFUL!

when i got the LP years ago, i remember listening to it over and over ... the songs really grew on me. they were corny, and the movie was bad ... but i couldn't stop listening!

hey, time to pull out that old LP ...
RIP glebby <3
bschneid76 Profile Photobschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
God Bless, Lost Horizon! "I give it all to you!" *Breaks into sway dance*
"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski