Bodies--The Exhibition

Magdalene Profile PhotoMagdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bodies--The Exhibition#1
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:28pm
Has anyone been to see this? I know there is a lot of controversy about it, and wondered what everyone thought about it...
"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#2
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:45pm
We've yet to see it, but I want to.

It looks a little creepy.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Robos89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#2
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:48pm
I saw it when it was down here in Miami. It's actually pretty cool and interesting. I haven't really been in tune with the controversy but my mom told me a brief summary of what's going on.
?
christhefish Profile Photochristhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#3
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:52pm
I've seen it, it is kind of creepy but its very interesting. I would recomended it.
Defying_Gravity_Girl Profile PhotoDefying_Gravity_Girl Profile Photo
Defying_Gravity_Girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#4
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:55pm
It was here recently, or maybe it still is. I'd like to see it.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

www.writersinlove.com
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#5
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:26pm
It's down here in Ft Lauderdale through beginning of April, I believe. There are a certain amount of free tickets from my college so I'll be there on Friday. Never saw it before but it does sound interesting. And being free, it sounds even better! re: Bodies--The Exhibition
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#6
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:35pm
I saw the exhibit in New York last summer. I can't recommend it. I have a great respect for the human body, and there seems to be some question about how the bodies used in preparing this exhibit were obtained. I thought many of the gimmicks used trivialized rather than illustrated the marvels of human anatomy. I am not squeemish - I have participated in medical dissection of human cadavers - but I could not comfortably examine some of the exhibits, such as a body divided into various cross-sections. But if you think it might be interesting, I suppose you should go and form your own opinions.
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#7
Posted: 3/19/08 at 7:57am
We went as part of an Anatomy for Artists class a few years ago. One of the assignments for the class was to create a book of detailed drawings. We had to draw each and every muscle and bone (one to a page) with detailed labeling showing what each was connected to and how.

If this exhibit hadn't been in town we would have had to do this based on books, photos, plastic muscle models and Mr Repulsky (our class skeleton.) Seeing the real thing was very helpful.

Aside from that, it was kind of fascinating in a very macabre way.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
lesmis Profile Photolesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#8
Posted: 3/19/08 at 8:12am
I saw it in Phila a few years ago and found it really interesting. I work in the medical field though and like that kind of stuff.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#9
Posted: 3/19/08 at 8:40am
I had the opposite reaction, kean. I came out of there wishing I'd seen it when I was about 10 or 11. I would have had so much more respect for myself and others and I know I would have taken better care of myself over the years. I went in prepared for the squeamish and ended up being amazed.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Broadwayj1 Profile PhotoBroadwayj1 Profile Photo
Broadwayj1
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#10
Posted: 3/19/08 at 8:53am
I saw it in NYC. I thought it was really sick when I first walked in. But then it wore off on me. But I just thought it was really, really boring! Its pretty $$$ as well!
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#11
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:06am
My mom keeps saying she wants to donate her body to this when she dies and then that way we can visit her when she's in town.
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#12
Posted: 3/19/08 at 12:55pm
Anyone else watch the show( It was 20/20 or 60 min) about how they believe some of the bodies are from political prisoners from China? Very intersting show.......
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#13
Posted: 3/19/08 at 12:58pm
In my high school's science store rooms, there's a half fetus in glass. I forget how old it is, but I'd guess it's a couple of weeks. Big enough to fit in your hand and still have all the identifying marks.

It's pretty creepy knowing that the school keeps dead fetuses in the closet.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
jenna2 Profile Photojenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#14
Posted: 3/19/08 at 3:23pm
I know a lot of people that are heading to this exhibit when it's in town this summer. I'm not sure that I'm interested in seeing it though...
Call the understudy / I can't go on tonight / I'm drinking with my buddy / I'm getting good and tight / Before they raise the curtain I'll be higher than a kite / So call the understudy I can't go on tonight
peach
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#15
Posted: 3/19/08 at 3:47pm
I have seen it. It is a bit shocking and creepy when you first walk in, but it is also quite fascinating and educational.
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#16
Posted: 3/20/08 at 1:16am
I agree w Keen on this. As a nurse i see the human body in varying states of existance -including none. The whole thing strikes me as try too hard to be contraversal and the merchandizing is galling. These are people not CSI dummies.It appears disrespectful to the individuals and to humanity in general. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile PhotoBroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#17
Posted: 3/20/08 at 1:53am
I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought it was so fascinating (and a bit scary) how the people -er- displayed "bodies" used for the different poses signed up to do it, so that after they die, "Bodies" can use their body and mold it into a position to be viewed by millions.

My favorite was the skateboarder.
"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."
Updated On: 3/20/08 at 01:53 AM
mll85
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#18
Posted: 3/20/08 at 4:35am
Anyone else watch the show( It was 20/20 or 60 min) about how they believe some of the bodies are from political prisoners from China?

I saw that. When the exhibit was in San Francisco I remember the local news coverage of the problems with the exhibit. People who saw it were noticing fluid dripping from the specimens. There was some uproar from local groups because of the questionable nature on how the cadavers were obtained. And it's a complete rip off of Body Worlds.
Updated On: 3/20/08 at 04:35 AM
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#19
Posted: 3/20/08 at 5:15am
I saw the NYC exhibition. One of the cadavers on display really looked familiar and when I examined it closely, I realized it was Mr Roxy.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#20
Posted: 3/20/08 at 8:01am
"And it's a complete rip off of Body Worlds."

Wait a minute. I was confused. I didn't know there were two of these. I thought we were talking about Body Worlds. So no, I've never been to Bodies - The Exhibition, just Body Worlds.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#21
Posted: 3/20/08 at 8:42am
Coming soon:

Body Mania
Body and the Beast
T'ain't No Bodies Business If I Do
Hey, Can I Body Ya For a Minute?
Don't Body Me, I Can't Cope
Your Body, My Body, Everybody, Work Your Body
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#22
Posted: 3/20/08 at 8:48am
Body World is the original and all of the bodies were willed for use by the people before their death. The other exhibit is a copy and the bodies come from questionable sources.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#23
Posted: 3/20/08 at 8:50am
I always thought Bodyland came first, then Bodyworld.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bodies--The Exhibition#24
Posted: 3/20/08 at 8:58am
Your body is a wonderland.