Can anyone explain these commercials to me?

JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've been home sick this week watching way too much TV. Domino's new campaign is "You've got 30 minutes." The first ad I saw had a couple ordering a pizza and then the guy is seen in the bedroom doorway in an open robe and boxers saying suggetively "We've got 30 minutes!" to which the girl says "Yeah, well what will we do with the other 28 minutes?"

The other ad shows three dorks greeting the pizza man with ridiculously bad "Brooklyn" accents.

My question is, why in the world would Dominos pay to run ads reinforcing the stereotype that the only people who would ever eat their pizza are pasty dweebs who would no doubt be premature ejaculators if they were ever able to score with a girl?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The other one that puzzles me is one of the McDonalds ads. Two guys sit on a bench and one unwraps a McMuffin and says "Here's to waking up Thursday and THINKING it's Friday!" As he eats his muffin the other guy says "Dude, it's Wednesday."

Does that commercial make ANY sense to anyone?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh yeah- this new Steve Carrell movie. Dan Something? They show him getting pulled over by a cop and the cop says "This is going to cost you" and Carrell mutters "Put it on my bill!" The cop snaps "WHAT?" and Carrell repeats it and laughs. Is that some kind of joke?
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
This could well be my favorite thread ever.

In the second commercial, the joke is that he's making the best of waking up on Thursday and having thought it was Friday, but - uh oh! - it's actually Wednesday. (I've never seen this commercial so that's just a guess from my context clues)

I don't know either about that Dan in Real Life joke, but it's actually one of my Netflix choices and I think I may watch it tonight, because I seem to be coming down with what YOU have. Thanks. I'm not even going to get aroused looking at Steve Carrell, that's how sick I am. He ALWAYS does it for me.
jasonf Profile Photojasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The ad I don't get is for Olive Garden. Family is sitting around the table eating. They introduce their new dishes blah blah blah. Then the waitress says something like "How was everything?" The Dad says "It was EXACTLY what I was in the mood for," and then everyone, waitress included, laughs like he was George Carlin in his prime. Why is that funny at all?
Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.
Kasie Profile PhotoKasie Profile Photo
Kasie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, I don't understand that "Put it on my Tab" thing either. But I think it's just how Steve Carrell says it that makes it funny. He could say pretty much anything and make it funny.

I personally like the Slowkies commercials. Especially the one where they're standing at the baggage carousel and they can't reach the suitcases. The wife says "Oh well, guess we will get them next time the come around..." and the guys says "Yeah, let 'em to a victory lap." I dont know why but I think it is hilarious!
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Steve Carrell thing works but this may be a spoiler if you haven't seen the movie:

SPOILER

He's been stopped by the same cop before so he's acting like someone running a tab at a bar. Not hysterical but I forgive Steve just about anything including over-acting a little.
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:50pm
Updated On: 1/24/09 at 11:50 PM
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aww Phyllis you have my sympathy! I was thinking today that I ws so sick I didn't even get to savor lounging in my underwear for 3 days.
mattonstage Profile Photomattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I hate the talking stain commercial. blech.

And the last time I ordered Dominos, they told me it would 60-70 minutes for my order, of one plain pizza!!! 30 minutes my...
I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And what about Arbys? Their commercials all seem to say that guys who eat Arbys are stupid and gay. They might as well name their new sandwich the Hot Beef Injection.
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Joe, why are you up?
Keep me company!
....but the world goes 'round
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i hate that they run cici's and sonic comercials here... neither of those resturaunts are within several hundred miles from connecticut.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hate CiCi's. It's disgusting! Yuck.
I'm glad we don't have any in Vegas.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/15/08 at 12:29pm
Updated On: 1/24/09 at 12:29 PM
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I remember when I was a kid, CiCi's cost $2.50 a person. For buffet.

Ew.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am glad you mentioned Cici's cause I just said to my Boyfriend "That looks disgusting!"

A plate covered with dry salad topped with slices of obviously frozen pizza and a cinnamon roll. At least the last ads were honest: "eat here cause it's cheap and your kids can run wild and splash in the soda dispenser."
Updated On: 3/15/08 at 05:08 PM
kelzama
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Is it taco bell where the people walk around and dance, with giant cheese strings trailing from their mouths to a paper-wrapped tube of something? Eech.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yep Kelz- another chain that wants to make sure no one misses the fact that their customers are somewhat stupid and dripping in cheese.

Of course, the ad where the woman explains that when she wants REALLY FINE seafood she heads to Popeys for the $4.99 Shrimp makes me giggle too.
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There's some commercial for water that has these dancing lizards. I don't get it at all.
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Mythus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i hate that they run cici's and sonic comercials here... neither of those resturaunts are within several hundred miles from connecticut

They run in Massachusetts all the time. Drives me crazy.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I do like the "28 minutes" Dominos commercial. I laughed. That poor guy...
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Isn't it odd that this thread is entitled "Can Anyone Explain These Commercials To Me?" and then the message goes on to explain the commercials.

Everything seems self explanitory.

Geeze!
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not quite sure what they are going for in the Life Water commercial, but it is actually one of my favorites. I just get a kick out of them dancing to Thriller and doing the dance moves.
Just give the world Love.
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:25pm
Updated On: 1/24/09 at 04:25 PM