Was Spitzer Was Set Up by the Politicized Bush Justice Department?

PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
On Harper's Magazine blog today:

Snippet:

===

These facts are likely to dominate the punditry’s discussion of the issue. Spitzer will be labeled a hypocrite (a charge he can hardly refute).

However, there is a second tier of questions that needs to be examined with respect to the Spitzer case. They go to prosecutorial motivation and direction. Note that this prosecution was managed with staffers from the Public Integrity Section at the Department of Justice. This section is now at the center of a major scandal concerning politically directed prosecutions. During the Bush Administration, his Justice Department has opened 5.6 cases against Democrats for every one involving a Republican. Beyond this, a number of the cases seem to have been tied closely to election cycles. Indeed, a study of the cases out of Alabama shows clearly that even cases opened against Republicans are in fact only part of a broader pattern of going after Democrats. So here are the rather amazing facts that surface in the Spitzer case:

Read the rest at the link:
The Spitzer Sex Sting: A Few More Questions
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think "set up" is not an accurate description here - because he committed the act. Perhaps targeted for political reasons is a better argument.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bush's justice department selectively targeting Democrats? I find that very hard to believe. Certainly we shouldn't investigate it or talk about it with any White House employees.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the bank found mulitple transfers of just under the $10k limit which requires reporting from spitzy to an unknown corporation over a period of months. they informed the irs who looked into is thinking, "public official being either blackmailed or bribing someone." they let the justice dept. know who sends in the feds to look into things. no bribe or blackmail, just some nookie for cash. did he commit a crime? yep. did he get caught? yep.

has the left already constructed a conspiracy theory despite the fact that he's guilty? where were you guys when delay was getting railroaded in texas? turnabout's fair play, kids. especially if you have a guy dumb enough to use his own phone to make the arrangements and wire enough money to attract the attention of the bank and the irs.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Updated On: 3/11/08 at 11:25 AM
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The bottom line is that Spitzer is a hypocritical idiot.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Doesn't matter if he was set up, he did it. You can't deny that one fact so what ever else comes his way he asked for.
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Everything bad that happens to the Democratic party is not the product of a conspiracy...some Dems are just very stupid and insanely careless.

JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OK I retract my statement and will revert to blaming Hilary.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whether or not he was being targeted by Republicans, HE was the one who couldn't keep his dick in his pants and ultimately has no one else to blame but himself. What a disappointment.
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It all boils down to:

Sex Scandal = impeachment

Taking our country to war over lies = 2nd term in office, no impeachment

Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Blow jobs kill people
Lying about going to war doesn't
Saw it on Fox
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The worse person on the other end of the red phone? A blackmailing madame.

Dershowitz just said Spitzer shouldn't resign, that it's a "smelly" case.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Paranoia will detroya PJ. I also think GWB was the reason ROME burned & not NERO

Spitz set himself up by being a prime ******* & a hypocrite. Even the DEMS want him out
Poster Emeritus
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Paranoia will detroya PJ. I also think GWB was the reason ROME burned & not NERO"

From Triva-Library.com

It is only an unfounded rumor, albeit an old one, that the mad Emperor Nero started a fire near the imperial palace and then climbed to the top of the Tower of Maecenas, where he gleefully played his fiddle, sang arias from his own execrable operas, and watched the city go up in flames. True, Nero did fancy himself a poet and musician, and often summoned audiences to attend recitals of his composition. But according to the contemporary historian and chronicler Tacitus, the fire which gutted Rome in 64 A.D. could not possibly have been Nero's doing; at the time it broke out, Nero was at his villa in Antium 30 mi. away. Besides, the violin wasn't even invented until the 16th century, although in some versions of the tale Nero plays a lute or lyre.

So maybe GWB was responsible.
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
BigFatBlonde Profile PhotoBigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
6 to 1#16
Posted: 3/12/08 at 2:45pm
With the Bush Administration investigating Democratics vs. Republicans at a 6 to 1 ratio, respectively, I'm pleasantly surprised that we don't have more of these stories.

Democracy Now had a really good discussion on this aspect of the Sptizer story.

Check it out:

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/3/12/spitzer_expected_to_resign_over_prostitution

What great ones do the less will prattle of
Updated On: 3/12/08 at 02:45 PM
javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
6 to 1#17
Posted: 3/12/08 at 4:00pm
6 to 1

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
6 to 1#18
Posted: 3/12/08 at 4:02pm
Wouldn't that be a better seller on briefs and/or boxers?
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
5 to 1, baby, 1 in 5.  no one here gets out alive.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Wall Street is bigtime celebrating the resignation.

Huh. If everyone who ever solicited a prostitute resigned from their job, no one on Wall Street would be employed.
kelzama
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
And the Hill would be empty.

absolute power corrupts absolutely.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He isn't getting impeached. He is resigning.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Guillermo Ugarte
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
the dirge of the urge#23
Posted: 3/13/08 at 12:29pm
Current administrative foolery aside, Spitzer will be scrutinzed more closely and held to a higher standard because of his squeeky clean, self-righteous finger pointing. He may have prosecuted some big cases during his spring cleaning phase but it was the way in which he pursued his targets that set people talking.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that if you are going to hold others to a high standard you must be above reproach in your own life and career or you will fall faster and harder than the rest of us who are merely garden variety degenerates.

It is interesting to note that in this country we are far more critical of a person's sexual adventures than in other countries where leaders have mistresses and sexual adventures and everyone looks the other way. In fact when the Clinton debacle came out there were many cultures who had trouble understanding our shock and chagrin.

All that aside, I would have assumed that if anyone knew the laws about transporting a prostitue across state lines for sex it would be Spitzer. If anyone knew about not sending email, using your private bank account or making phone calls that could be traced or used against you...well you get the idea. I suppose it is a classic case of someone in power who believed he could never get caught. Whether you think it is a big deal or not it certainly brought him down and he is smart enough to know that it would be a problem if he got caught. I suppose the excitement of the chase outweighed the image of Spitzer road kill.
"Always smile at your enemies. It will keep them on their toes"
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the dirge of the urge#24
Posted: 3/13/08 at 12:32pm
no one can stop the steamroller, baby!

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort