Page: 1

The Most Misogynistic Movies of the Last Decade

Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did this chick even see "Mona Lisa Smile" or did she just look at movie stills? That movie was not misogynistic but rather showed the reality of women in the 1950s.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Ocean's Thirteen: Foxy Ellen Barkin is reduced to playing a loopy cougar."

They make it sound so new.

From what I've been reading on that site, it sounds like if any female character does not "have it all" or is treated realistically, then the film is misogynistic.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"From what I've been reading on that site, it sounds like if any female character does not "have it all" or is treated realistically, then the film is misogynistic."

Somebody should tell that chick that every character in a movie has obstacles to overcome and there is no perfect female (or male) character.

Armested Maupin said in Tales of the City: "You can have a great job, a great lover and a great apartment, but you can't have all three at the same time."
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What blew my mind about MONA LISA SMILE was that it was supposedly all about trumping female stereotypes, yet "the fat girl" really wasn't all that fat. In fact, her shape was more of the fifties ideal than the other actresses. What stereotypical message does that send to today's young women?

That said, I was surprised AMERICAN BEAUTY didn't make the list.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
She wants misogynistic? Tell her to go watch "Boxing Helena".
Updated On: 3/5/08 at 01:45 PM
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its all post-2000.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How can they have MONA LISA SMILE and BRIDGET JONES' DIARY (two films I actually consider somewhat feminist, for Hollywood standards anyways) and not include THE DEPARTED? Or how about 300? Or how about KNOCKED UP? Or...you get my point.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Or "American Pie"? Or anything beginning with "National Lampoon's..."?
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In The Company Of Men
Captivity
....but the world goes 'round
insertclevernamehere Profile Photoinsertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oh Tazber, why would you remind me of Captivity?
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.
TonyInATL Profile PhotoTonyInATL Profile Photo
TonyInATL
Stand-by
Stand-by
Ohh, Gotham...I wouldn't tell anyone to watch Boxing Helena unless I despised them passionately.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
The Holiday? Really? I never for a second put it together that Kate Winslet wound up with Jack Black because she wasn't as thin as Cameron Diaz (and personally, I think Cameron Diaz's "attractiveness" is mass lie perpetrated upon society). I thought she wound up with him because he was kind to her and he made her laugh. Essentially, this article is saying that because her character looked beneath the surface that it's misogynistic. Jesus. Sorry to break it to you, Amy Monaghan, but some people can actually find fat guys attractive!
Updated On: 3/6/08 at 10:20 AM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
phyllis, the wool has not been pulled over my eyes by that skank cameron. she looks like a fish. that's why i never cared who got her in something about mary which was good despite her and mostly because of chris elliott and matt dillon. put her and meg ryan in a movie together and you're halfway to an animated disney flick about pond dwellers with a fish and a duck.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
Yeah, I just don't get how that artcile can slam movies like The Devil Wears Prada because it gives women complexes about their size, and then turn around and string up The Holiday because Kate Winslet doesn't end up with a "hot" guy.
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How did they miss the Wicker Man remake?
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't remember IN THE COMPANY OF MEN being particularly misogynistic. Those two guys are absolute pigs, she's not the problem: they take terrible advantage of her.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I dont think she knows what mysogynistic means. What an idiotic article.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS