A Gay or Lesbian Couple? Avoid Vacationing in Florida!!!!

WindyCityActor Profile PhotoWindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/02/the_sunshine_hate

Janice Langbehn and Lisa Pond had planned to take their three children on a family cruise. The Olympia, Washington couple had been together 18 years and with their children were looking forward to the holiday.

But just as they were about to depart on the cruise from Miami, Florida. Pond, a healthy 39-year-old, suddenly collapsed. She was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami with Langbehn and the children following close behind.

But once Langbehn and the children arrived at the hospital the hospital refused to accept information from her about Ponds’s medical history. Langbehn says she was informed that she was in an antigay city and state, and she could expect to receive no information or acknowledgment as family.

A doctor finally spoke with Janice telling her that there was no chance of recovery.

Other than one five minute visit, which was orchestrated by a Catholic priest at Langbehn’s request to perform last rites, and despite the doctor’s acknowledgement that no medical reason existed to prevent visitation, neither she nor her children were allowed to see Pond until nearly eight hours after their arrival.

Soon after Pond’s death, Langbehn tried to get her death certificate in order to get life insurance and Social Security benefits for their children. She was denied both by the State of Florida and the Dade County Medical Examiner.

Updated On: 2/27/08 at 10:59 AM
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
THIS is why the issue gay marriage IS of paramount importance.
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Langbehn says she was informed that she was in an antigay city and state"

And what would be the reaction had she told she was in an anti-black or anti-Jewish state?

Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ahh but see lildogs, 50 years ago no one would have blinked an eye at anti-black city.

Just look at this way, in 400 years we'll be considered real people too.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lovelyspotlight Profile Photolovelyspotlight Profile Photo
lovelyspotlight
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's disgusting. For some reason, it seems like Miami should have somehow been different than more outright anti-gay parts of Florida.
shameless Profile Photoshameless Profile Photo
shameless
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Obviously, I can't comment on this incident, but I can tell you that Miami does not have a reputation for being an anti-gay city.
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just as soon as I typed that--I thought the same thing liver.

We need a gay GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT and a gay IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT--and we wouldn't even have to change titles!

Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
colleen_lee Profile Photocolleen_lee Profile Photo
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And it is not looking to get better anytime soon as the "Marriage Protection Amendment" http://election.dos.state.fl.us/initiatives/initdetail.asp?account=41550&seqnum=1 goes on the ballot for the November election.

Gay marriage is already illegal in Florida as it is, this amendment not only prevents that from changing in the future but also prevents any sort of Civil Union from being established either. The problem is, a lot of people don't know that. There are a number of people down here that are anti-gay marriage but support civil unions but I believe are going to vote for this amendment because they don't realize that civil unions fall under the umbrella of the amendment.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
Updated On: 2/27/08 at 03:30 PM
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"We need a gay GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT and a gay IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT--and we wouldn't even have to change titles!"

I'm on it!
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
george95
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One of my students wears a button everyday that says "Marriage: One Man-One Woman--Let the People Vote!" It depressed me every time I see it.
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The main problem I've always had with that argument was this: If the Civil Right bills of 64 & 65 had been put to a vote, they would have never passed--now many people think that's "right?"

I'd kick that student out of my class, george. Don't you have a dress code that forbids clothing with offensive messages?
_chanteuse_ Profile Photo_chanteuse_ Profile Photo
_chanteuse_
Swing
Swing
lildogs...I don't think he'd be able to actually. Since the student is expressing a political view and isn't using any slurs.

I was born in Florida and I've never really experienced any homophobia. A bunch of racism, yeah...

I guess my exposure to bigotry is limited.
i hufflepuff the chronic 'til the sorcerer's stoned.
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, you couldn't in my school--regardless of the political point of view.

"Jesus Sucks" would also be a non-slur political viewpoint that would most likely result in an uproar, though doncha think?

_chanteuse_ Profile Photo_chanteuse_ Profile Photo
_chanteuse_
Swing
Swing
Jesus is not a political viewpoint.
i hufflepuff the chronic 'til the sorcerer's stoned.
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jesus isn't political? Tell that to the politicians.

Sophomore year, some church friends and I wore shirts that said, "Liars go to Hell (Revelation 21:8 )"

Sure, it might not be an exact quote, but being that Hell is being used as a verb and it has to do with the bible, we thought we would be able to wear it.

We weren't. We were all caught in first period and told to tape over the entire shirt, not just Hell. Tape on your shirt is very uncomfortable.

ETA: I think we all know I meant noun instead of verb.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Updated On: 2/27/08 at 07:01 PM
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Just cut off Florida! Saw it off the USA and let it float over to Cuba or just out to sea.

Morons.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
bschneid76 Profile Photobschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Again, tis a sad world we live in. Our country will never be a progressive one, as we still live in the morals and views of the stone age!
"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Liars go to Hell"
"Hell is being used as a verb."

Care to explain that one, Mr. writer?

Tape on your shirt is very uncomfortable.

Did it make you walk funny? THAT would be hysterical.
PEACE.
TheActr97J Profile PhotoTheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm anxious for that explanation as well.
"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I edited my original message.
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Just cut off Florida! Saw it off the USA and let it float over to Cuba or just out to sea. "

"Not Florida! It's America's wang!"

No offense to Floridians, but I was VERY disappointed in Florida--it was like Southeast Texas with more palm trees.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Florida doesn't even honor heterosexual marriage, if it doesn't suit their narrow-minded Christian agenda - otherwise, the Shiavo case would have been a non-issue.
slimandslam Profile Photoslimandslam Profile Photo
slimandslam
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Have you seen the family's blog? It's heartbreaking to read the early posts, talking about how enthusiastic they all were about going to Florida to take a cruise.
The Langbehn-Pond Family