Obama wins global primary

cubanpab Profile Photocubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Obama wins global primary#1
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:05am
this isnt really a huge deal or anything, but i thought it was a pretty neat story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080221/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_delegates
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#2
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:41am
I didn't want to get this buried somewhere in a thread because I found it very interesting--it's an analysis of Obama and Clinton's Senate records--now it's from the red site dailykos, so one should bear that in mind. But it's fairly balanced. Check it!
"I Refuse to Buy Into the Obama Hype (now a supporter)"
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#2
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:20am
what an interesting article actually...
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#3
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:31am
I had been doing a side-by-side look at Hillary and Barack's recent voting record (alomost identical, btw) and found that link--I was quite impressed with both of their efforts, both successful and not.
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#4
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:34am
it doesnt surprise me... we know they're basically the same candidate with just a few minor differences... the only reason i enjoyed that article is that Hillary is on her crusade about how she has "35 years of experience" and she's the only one ready on day 1, blah blah blah... and her supporters say Obama is inexperienced and too young, but look at their records... they both have successes and failures, but he seems to have fared a little better than her...
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#5
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:51am
Let's all hold hands and sing a hymn. re: Obama wins global primary
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#6
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:57am
Again with the jesus "jokes"--you need new material.

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#7
Posted: 2/21/08 at 12:04pm
Oooh. Touchy!

C'mon--I gained 5 pounds and a toothache reading you guys' exchange. Maybe I've just become cynical. I can't jump on the Jesus Christ Superstar Age of Aquarius Magical Fantasia of how super duper awesome he is yet.

And, I def couldn't read that blog entry as completely objective. I lost respect for the writer with the highly specious claim that Barack's lead paint on toys fight was greater than Hillary's lead paint on inner city walls fight just because the writer reasoned that one had risk while the other didn't. People don't have to buy their kids toys. They do have to house them.

Perhaps, the writer's tallies are exact and fair. If so, I will applaud Obama for doing better. But, until then, anyone can angle anything to come out in either's favor. And just because someone says they aren't one of his supporters doesn't mean they aren't actualy a wolf in sheep's lead free clothing.
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#8
Posted: 2/21/08 at 12:27pm
Please--touchy? I'm just tired of that line of "humor."

And your post reminds me of something Homer Simpson once said: "Facts?! You can prove anything that's remotely true with FACTS."

I believe I also said that since this comes from the daily kos,and you have to keep that in mind because they have an agenda, just as you do.

I don't want you to applaud Obama at all--I put it there for informational purposes only--I thought it was interesting--it was not a ploy to bring you over the Red Sea to enjoy manna and grape juice with me and the rest of the fanatics that are living a pipe dream.

There are existing laws about lead paint in homes--do you really think the danger of lead in the walls of inner-city low-income housing? How many people does that affect in comparison to the people who buy toys? More of a hazard than toys kids will almost certainly put in their mouths? How many kids lick the baseboards? Or how about the kids who live in a state without any major urban areas?

Obama's bill has much more to do with holding China accountable for its products and in doing so perhaps close a bit of the trade deficit.

Once again, big ideas vs. micromanagement.
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#9
Posted: 2/21/08 at 12:33pm
oddly enough, i actually am drinking grape juice... right now...
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#10
Posted: 2/21/08 at 12:34pm
I would LOVE some manna and grape juice! re: Obama wins global primary

See--if you had written that blog I would have been swayed. You make a great point there. She did not.

If I could hear more logical comments like you just gave instead of the other gobbledeegoop we keep hearing, I may just switch that lil avatar over there <------

However, one thing to keep in mind is that whenever I do hear both Obama and Hillary's ideas, I am concerned with what can ACTUALLY get done and what is wishful thinking.

And the ultimate question: CAN Obama revolutionize this nation or are would it be a painful upstream battle ending in doom?
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#11
Posted: 2/21/08 at 12:36pm
I don't recall what manna even is--but it has the word MAN in it, so it must taste yummy. re: Obama wins global primary
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#12
Posted: 2/21/08 at 12:38pm
I'm not trying to get you to change your avatar--support who you like but lay off the smarm for the supporters of the other guy--debate his policy, his record, not your interpretation of how his fans view him. Cause you KNOW that's not how I see him at all.

I think Obama CAN change the country--WILL he? That I don't know.

But he is a fraction of the divisive figure Hillary is--I KNOW she can't change the country--nor do I think she has the will.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#13
Posted: 2/21/08 at 12:45pm
I do think she wants to make change. I think she believes there has to be a practical way of doing that. You can't walk into an office let alone the US gov and expect to massively change it. People get very bitchy about change.

But, if he truly can--I'm all for it. We need the ambition of past Presidents to change the energy issues and our education system.

As for my smarm, I guess I know how people felt when Wicked fans made them crazy. I liked Wicked. But the fans--good grief!
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
obama wins global primary#14
Posted: 2/21/08 at 1:51pm
jerby, genuflect at the feet of the mighty bam bam and beg his forgiveness lest mishy smite you like the tiny ant you compared to the awe and mystery of the messiah, his holiness lord hussein. your blaspheming attitude will be dealt with when bam bam and mishy fix your soul. and they'll fix it good too, buddy boy!
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#15
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:02pm
i dont expect tons of change from either of them... and thats not a bad thing... looking thru their records its amazing to see how much they both have attempted to bring about change, but they were both met with a certain degree of failure... not because they're bad senators, its just hard to do ANYTHING in washington...

so do i think either of them will revolutionize the country? no. do i think either of them are capable of achieving SOME positive change... yes... both of them are... and both of them would if they were elected... but i think obama can achieve a little more... as he has been doing in the senate...

i also think hillary suffers from an unfair disadvantage... while i personally am not a huge fan of hers, i would still support her and vote for her if she was the nominee. becaus ei know its the right choice over mccain, and i would just put my differences aside. but the fact is she is a very polarizing figure, and lots of people dont think the way i do... some people (like my wife, an independent) dislike her so much, that they would rather "sit this election out" than vote for hillary... but obama has this ability to just make people swoon over him... democrats, independents, and even republicans... it sounds superficial but i think he's in a much better position to not only bringing both parties together, but also help our image with the rest of the world... people just really like him!

altho to be fair to hillary, people also loved Tony Blair too... he was the fresh new young face... and look what happened.

no one knows whats going to happen... or how well a candidate will do... we cant expect HUGE things from anyone... all we know is its going to be better than Bushy... unless its McCain. then god help us all.
Updated On: 2/21/08 at 02:02 PM
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#16
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:03pm
also i missed out on this whole jesus joke thing... i dont get it. lol... are obamas supporters supposed to be uber-christians?
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#17
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:12pm
No, cuban, the people who don't support him have nothing else to cling to or joke about. They like to make fun of us because they think we're overzealous or that we're putting too much faith in one person.

You'll note they don't talk about electability, policy, charisma, ability to unite both the party and the country or anything that matters--just a criticism of his supporters.

Fine with me--he still has almost 1,000,000 campaign contributions, he's won 10 primaries in a row, has more delegates than Clinton and consistently bests McCain in polls.
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#18
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:15pm
lildog - well they have to come up with something now that clinton's campaign is all but dead.

tonight's debate should be interesting... i'm curious to see how far hillary will go to try and make him seem like a bad guy... do you think she'll cry tonight? i say it's a 50/50 shot...

she might save it for right befor the march 4th primaries.

Updated On: 2/21/08 at 02:15 PM
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#19
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:17pm
Yes--because cuban's comments are so much better.
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#20
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:19pm
what have i said??? sheesh i try and not call names and still i cant win
Updated On: 2/21/08 at 02:19 PM
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#21
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:20pm
no no no--she'll just cry and mudsling. that's all she has to offer, eh?
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#22
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:21pm
I don't have cable so unless PBS shows it as well, I'll be out of luck.

I think if she lands a good zinger, it's possible, but I was reading in the Daily News (of all places) that she's fighting against someone that people seem to want more and like better and that's a mighty tough row to hoe.

Of course she can still win, but she will have to slaughter him in Ohio and Texas and I don't think the margin will be strong enough--I think she'll take Texas and he'll take Ohio personally.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
all hail the mighty bam bam and his lady mishy who will tell you what to do, when to do it, how to do it and where to do it. deviate from these rules and be smote like the infidels that you are. bam bam akhbar.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Obama wins global primary#24
Posted: 2/21/08 at 2:23pm
i'm not trying to be an ass by saying that... all i'm saying is she's in a tough position right now where she knows she needs to hit him hard because he's way ahead.

and come on JRB, even you have to agree that her crying bit is nothing short of a gimick... no one buys into it do they? everything these candidates do is calculated down to the last tear... i'd say the same thing if obama cried on tv...