Page: 1

Your Favorite and Least Favorite Over-Acting Performances On Film?

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
With Daniel Day-Lewis up for an Oscar for what some call the hammiest performance of the year, what are some of your favorite BIG ACTING performances?
Kasie Profile PhotoKasie Profile Photo
Kasie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
George Clooney in Michael Clayton..i dont think he was over-acting so much, but i do think the film was overrated.

and (even though its not a movie) the guy in CSI MIAMI, David Caruso. talk about over-acting.
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In my opinion, Clooney's worst overacting was in Batman & Robin. Robin Williams overacts all the time, and perhaps the worst ensemble overacting was in Hook.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Favorites: Faye Dunaway in "Mommie Dearest," Patty Duke and Susan Hayward in "Valley of the Dolls," Bette Davis in "Baby Jane" and "Dead Ringer," Jack Nicholson in "The Shining," the entire cast of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World."

Recent Least Favorites: Jude Law & Michael Caine in the "Sleuth" remake.

Other Least Favorites: Carol Burnett in "Annie," Jack Nicholson in "Batman," Diana Ross in "The Wiz," Laurence Olivier in "The Jazz Singer," many others, but those are the ones that instantly came to mind.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
mattonstage Profile Photomattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Yes, Faye Dunaway is by the BEST overacting.
My worst would have to be Nicholas Cage in Peggy Sue Got Married. Don't sue.
I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Best Over-acting--

John Barrymore in TWENTIETH CENTURY
Margaret Hamilton in THE WIZARD OF OZ

Worst Over-acting---
Rosalind Russell in THE WOMEN
William Hurt in A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
Robert Loggia in LOST HIGHWAY
Kenneth Branagh in MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING
Al Pacino in DEVIL'S ADVOCATE (forgivable, perhaps, as a reaction to being stuck onscreen with Keanu Reeves)
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 2/17/08 at 10:25 AM
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gary Oldman in THE FIFTH ELEMENT!
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Some of my faves have already been mentioned, but I must add Diana Scarwid.

In everything.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not sure if it could be called over-acting but Glenn Close as Mrs. Farraday in MARY REILLY kills me!
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love Glenn Close in "101 Dalmations"

it's like Margaret Hamilton reincarnated in fur.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
broadway86 Profile Photobroadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
With Daniel Day-Lewis up for an Oscar for what some call the hammiest performance of the year

It is a grand performance, to be sure. But, "hammy" suggests to me that the performance is mugging without an emotional center. In which case, I would say that is the wrong way to describe his performance.

A controversial choice, but Fiona Shaw in The Black Dahlia is one of the most deliciously deranged pieces of acting I've seen in years. Crazy bitch...
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love carol burnett in annie! as well as dunaway in mommie dearest and gary oldman in fifth element.

jim carrey constantly amazes me with how far over the top he can go and still be stunning--lemony snickett for one. and speaking of lemony, meryl streep is so fun in it.

elizabeth berkley in showgirls is a scream.
Updated On: 2/17/08 at 01:33 PM
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dunaway and Scarwid in Dearest, definitely! Lanie Kazan in Beaches, Matt Dillon in The Outsiders (I did it for Johnny!). What about Ali McGraw and Ryan O'Neal in Love Story? They were terrible yet for some reason I love that movie and love to watch them. Also, Anne Bancroft in Garbo Talks.

Least faves? A recent one is Nicholson in The Departed.
Updated On: 2/17/08 at 02:05 PM
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The worst? Ever? That would have to be Mickey Rooney in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANYS. With John Leguizamo in MOULIN ROUGE a close second, and Rod Steiger's priceless drama-queen priest in THE AMITYVILLE HORROR a distant third.

Usually I love it when a great actor overacts...sometimes its because they know they're in a crappy film to begin with so they have fun at all costs.

Haven't seen Day-Lewis in THERE WILL BE BLOOD, but given his recent track record with his ridiculous, narcissistic performances in GANGS OF NEW YORK and THE CRUCIBLE (who knew the Eddie Vedder look was so popular in witchtrial-era Salem?) its not out of the question.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I must agree with Diana Ross for bad overacting. That was just painful.

I think Margaret Hamilton might be my favorite overacting performance.
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Least Favorite - the entire cast of The Lion in Winter

Favorite - the entire cast of Valley of the Dolls

jwonjy119 Profile Photojwonjy119 Profile Photo
jwonjy119
Stand-by
Stand-by
I have to say I hated Mia Farrow in "The Great Gatsby" and Emma Watson in the third, fourth, and fifth Harry Potter movies.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Favorite- Meryl Streep in SHE-DEVIL, Catherine Z. Jones in CHICAGO, Toni Collette in MURIEL'S WEDDING, and I agree with Besty re Bette Davis in WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? A master class in overacting while turning in a genius performance on screen.

Least Favorite- Renee Zellweger in COLD MOUNTAIN, Adam Pascal in RENT.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 2/17/08 at 09:39 PM
Chevstriss
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
c'mon y'all - you know I have to say it:
this one
I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog
jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photojeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Favorites: Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest, Joan Crawford in Straitjacket, Sally Field in an Eye for an Eye (even though the movie was predictable), Jane Fonda in The Morning After, Susan Hayward in I Want to Live!

Least Favorite- Bette Midler in Ruthless People, Jack Nicolson in The Departed, Alan ALda in The Four Seasons, Jennifer Lopez in Monster-in-law (if you can even call that any kind of acting)
Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis