Page: 1

What to do about friends being addicted to table-top RPGs?

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My friends are slowly becoming consumed with two role-playing games: Dungeons & Dragons and Changeling. This is all they talk about. They are all gone until four in the morning playing it. They neglect their studies. They withdraw from those who do not play and, overall, do not seem to live life at all anymore. It's sad and tragic.

They're not doing drugs. They're not drinking alcohol. Their lives are being ruined by RPGs. I really enjoyed hanging out with them before they got into this s***.

Updated On: 3/4/08 at 12:59 AM
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?
A work of art is an invitation to love.
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/16/08 at 1:16am
Updated On: 1/27/09 at 01:16 AM
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cruel, you're entire posting history here is a role playing game.
I would suggest logging off and switching majors.
....but the world goes 'round
lovelyspotlight Profile Photolovelyspotlight Profile Photo
lovelyspotlight
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Taz-he's quitting school anyway, remember? He won't have to be bothered by those same 'friends' anymore.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hang out with new friends.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
lovelyspotlight Profile Photolovelyspotlight Profile Photo
lovelyspotlight
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hardly know what LARPers do.

My boyfriend has attempted to explain to me...but I still don't really get it/see the charm in it.

Care to explain?
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Get Guitar Hero.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I eat some powerups, then give them the hundred hand slap.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Game mechanics
Main article: Game mechanics (Dungeons & Dragons)

D&D uses polyhedral dice to resolve random events. From left, 4-, 6-, 8-, 12-, 20- and two 10-sided dice.
Before the game begins, each player creates his or her player character and records the details (described below) on a character sheet. First, a player rolls dice to determine his or her character's ability scores,[31] which consist of Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma.[32] The player then chooses a race (species) such as Human or Elf, a character class (occupation) such as Fighter or Wizard, an alignment (a moral and ethical outlook) which has a Good/Neutral/Evil component and a Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic component, and a number of skills and feats to enhance the character's basic abilities.[33] Additional background history, not covered by specific rules, is often also used to further develop the character.[34]
During the game, players describe their PC's intended actions, such as punching an opponent or picking a lock, and converse with the DM in character—who then describes the result or response.[35] Trivial actions, such as picking up a letter or opening an unlocked door, are usually automatically successful. The outcomes of more complex or risky actions are determined by rolling dice.[17] Factors contributing to the outcome include the character's ability scores, skills and the difficulty of the task.[36] In circumstances where a character does not have control of an event, such as when a trap or magical effect is triggered or a spell is cast, a saving throw can be used to determine whether the resulting damage is reduced or avoided.[37] In this case the odds of success are influenced by the character's class, levels and (with the 3rd edition) ability scores.[38]
As the game is played, each PC grows and changes over time as they gain experience. Characters gain (or sometimes lose) experience, skills[39] and wealth, and may even change alignment[40] or add additional character classes.[41] The key way characters progress is by earning experience points (XP/EXP), which happens when they defeat an enemy or accomplish a difficult task.[42] Acquiring enough XP allows a PC to advance a level, which grants the character improved class features, abilities and skills.[43] XP can also be lost in some circumstances, such as encounters with creatures that drain life energy, or by use of certain magical powers that require payment of an XP cost.[44]
Hit points (HP) are a measure of a character's vitality and health and are determined by the class, level and constitution of each character. They can be temporarily lost when a character sustains wounds in combat or otherwise comes to harm, and loss of HP is the most common way for a character to die in the game.[45] Death can also result from the loss of key ability scores[46] or character levels.[47] When a PC dies, it is often possible for the dead character to be resurrected through magic, although some penalties may be imposed as a result. If resurrection is not possible or not desired, the player may instead create a new PC to resume playing the game.[48]"

- Wikipedia article on DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
truly you should be concentrating on and worrying about YOU rather than your (imaginary) friends. GET THERAPY!
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Taryn Profile PhotoTaryn Profile Photo
Taryn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm afraid you're mixing up LARP with tabletop RPGs.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is really sad. They just went 4 nights in a row, all until about 5 AM.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought you didn't have friends.
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt