Page: 1

Writer's Guild of America (WGA) Strike To End Soon! Regular Oscarcast Will Go On!

CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080204g.php

This report at Dark Horizons matches what I've been hearing from my pals in Hollywood. It's expected that a new contact will be reached within the next couple of weeks, and this whole mess will be over with.

AND, less important though still a nice cherry on top, it's expected that this year's Oscars will be a typical broadcast and not their "Plan B."
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Too bad. Plan B was something new and different, at least.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hopefully the end of the strike will signify a good resolve for all involved and not just the airing of the Oscar show.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Hopefully the end of the strike will signify a good resolve for all involved and not just the airing of the Oscar show."

Exactly, DAME. Both sides have been pressured from the Academy to resolve the stike in time for the Oscars. While I am pleased the pressure was given to resume talks, AMPAS' precious Oscar ceremony doesn't mean sh*t next to the contracts with the writers.

I'll be very interested to read what the new contracts include.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 2/5/08 at 03:54 PM
nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Let's hope that it's over with very, very soon....within 2 weeks. The office that I work in, is right across the street from CBS/Radford Studios and every morning, I drive by both entrances to the lot and see the picketing writers.

They are only asking for what they are entitled to, and nothing more.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Oscars are being advertised on whatever network it is they are broadcast (ABC?) as the big event it has always been, and best of all, Jon Stewart is coming back. By far, my favorite host along with Whoopi. He is exactly the kind of host needed for this year's ceremony.
From what I've read, the most important point which was the one concerning "digital media" has already been agreed upon, they are working out the other kinks. I hope the writers get their due, hopefully one day I'll be part of their union :)
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You'd think this would be a hot topic, even with the Super Bowl/Tuesday? Eh, go figure.
--Aristotle
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/5/08 at 7:15pm
Updated On: 1/27/09 at 07:15 PM
JerseyGirl2 Profile PhotoJerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Talk has been that an announcement could come at any time. If they can reach an agreement within the next two weeks, shows can begin production again in March. Crews have been out of work since November.
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Neal.. I live right behind where you work. Luckily we don't see or here the strikers. But my heart pounds every time I drive by the gates.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 2/5/08 at 08:35 PM