AlexanderB Profile PhotoAlexanderB Profile Photo
AlexanderB
Understudy
Understudy
Race Doesn't Matter!#1
Posted: 1/28/08 at 1:25am
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0108/Race_doesnt_matter.html

Not a comment on my political disposition, I just find this ironic:

At a ralley in South Carolina (I think) for Obama, he was to discuss his campaign-as-usual speaches. He was talking about him being just an American, not defined by his race, and that's great. However, 67% of those in the audience were African American...and once the rally got heated, everybody started chanting "Race doesn't matter!"

I got my 67& statistic from CNN, but double irony? The majority of his monatary campaign supporters are caucasian and sitting right on those risers behind him!

I just find this ironic, because it seems like with that kind of situation, race does matter.

...and as much as I agree, I seem to be perpetuating the race card just by discussing it.

Are we in for a long 2008?
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Race Doesn't Matter!#2
Posted: 1/28/08 at 9:33am
2008 will exactly one day longer than 2007 because it's a leap year.
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Race Doesn't Matter!#2
Posted: 1/28/08 at 9:48am
I think what they truly mean is "Race is not an impediment."

And Cornell West would agree with you--it does matter.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Race Doesn't Matter!#3
Posted: 1/28/08 at 9:52am
I was listening to a report on a nation-wide poll that was taken just before the primaries. They reported that the majority of Americans felt that a black man was far more acceptable and electable in the country today than a woman. Any woman. That having a black president would demonstrate to the world that the US was past its days of racial discrimination.

Apparently discrimination against half the population based on gender is acceptable.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03