Making fun of obese people at the gym...

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Making fun of obese people at the gym...#1
Posted: 1/26/08 at 11:07am
Why do people do this to each other? First, they do nothing but spit venom because of their body sizes and then have the audacity to make fun of and stare at them at the gym when they're ACTIVELY TRYING to lose weight.

Yes, there are a lot of extremely fit people who work out. But why must an extreme amount of them constantly tease someone who is not? I've heard stories of a woman who was very overweight, trying to lift weights and visibly struggling. Instead of helping her, people would taunt and yell at her.

What the hell?
Patronus Profile PhotoPatronus Profile Photo
Patronus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's okay. Try another gym, Cruel.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't re: Making fun of obese people at the gym...
D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Then just reach over and push the speed button on their treadmill to the highest level.
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
MotorTink Profile PhotoMotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I could SOOO see you doing that D2!

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There are a lot of nasty people in the World.
On a site once a man wrote to me and asked me what size I was.
He told me he was only asking as he only dated women who wore a size zero. MY REPLY.Darling, I see you have to be a zero to relate.

As a larger woman I was deeply hurt. At the time I was a 10.
SAD.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shira makes an excellent point. When judging overweight people for being overweight, you don't know the history. Perhaps they are working hard and have already lost a good deal of their body weight.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All the more reason to be empathetic to someone else's struggle.

Those people need to make themselves feel superior which belies an lack of self confidence. It's ugly, and the person making fun ends up looking much more foolish in the end.
....but the world goes 'round
shira467 Profile Photoshira467 Profile Photo
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, my post was deleted for an expletive. I forgot about the new rules.

Repost: I get weird looks on the treadmill for walking and not jogging, but I also have gone from morbidly obese to almost just "overweight", so people can go do whatever they want to themselves.
Deet: Shira, I Love You!
BigFatBlonde Profile PhotoBigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've never had this problem... and I'm.. shall we say.."ample."

Maybe they are saying it behind my back.. but I don't get that vibe.

Usually I'm so focused on my cardio and visiting that I might be oblivious.

What great ones do the less will prattle of
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
good for you Shira!
....but the world goes 'round
Greekmusicalfan Profile PhotoGreekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Making fun, because of their size, of people like Cruel, is unacceptable ! He has so many other things to make fun of !!
DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All I have to say is: "How To Look Good Naked" on Lifetime -- one of the best makeover shows ever!
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think making fun of people encourages them to keep going. Like an drill sergeant who belittles his troops to make them tougher. I say laugh and point and make them cry! Babies!

And Corine, as I was saying before my last post in this thread was so rudely deleted, I thought you said, "I was 10 at the time!" Made me laugh.
PEACE.
Mistress Overdone Profile PhotoMistress Overdone Profile Photo
Mistress Overdone
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
The skinny people who make fun of obese people at the gym are the ones who, after their workout, grab 3 McValueMeals-worth of food in the drive-thru on the way home and eat it alone (with a side of self-loathing).

So just picture that to cheer yourself up. re: Making fun of obese people at the gym...
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
making fun of obese people at the gym...#15
Posted: 1/26/08 at 3:27pm
i'd do shira. just saying...
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
making fun of obese people at the gym...#16
Posted: 1/26/08 at 3:40pm
A size 10 Sue.
Updated On: 1/26/08 at 03:40 PM
shira467 Profile Photoshira467 Profile Photo
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
making fun of obese people at the gym...#17
Posted: 1/26/08 at 4:05pm
LOL, Thanks Papa. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks Taz!
Deet: Shira, I Love You!
worrell4077
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
making fun of obese people at the gym...#18
Posted: 1/27/08 at 4:02pm
"The skinny people who make fun of obese people at the gym are the ones who, after their workout, grab 3 McValueMeals-worth of food in the drive-thru on the way home and eat it alone (with a side of self-loathing)."

That is so true. The overweight people that work out at gyms are on diets and they stay away or don't eat as much of that fast food crap with their happy and supportive families while the skinny punks are at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's all those fast food restaurants eating that crap. I always find it funny to see one of those skinny guys in the men's locker room at the gym I go to sitting there with a McDonald's bag(doesn't help too much that there is one right by the gym).

There are mean people in the world who to make themselves feel good about whatever happened to them decides to make others feel like crap. There are also weird people in the world who do some really odd things especially at gyms. If anyone is taking a sociology class, you can do a report about the people you see at the gym.
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
making fun of obese people at the gym...#19
Posted: 1/27/08 at 4:03pm
If i ever got attitude from some skinny bitch at the gym i'd eat 'em
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
making fun of obese people at the gym...#20
Posted: 1/27/08 at 5:31pm
Indeed.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to say, I've been going to gyms off and on for 25 years and I have never seen this happen.

Not once have I ever seen anyone make fun of an obese person at any gym I have ever gone to.

Ever.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Neither have I. EVER. In the same amount of time.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
broadwaytourist
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
The thing about obese people (and god knows I'm one) is that their burden in life shows on the outside. Everyone else carries their burdens inside and has the great good fortune of being able to keep their problems to themselves. Once they open their mouths to make fun, then their issues show.

HorseTears Profile PhotoHorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's disgusting. Due to good genes and a fairly active lifestyle, I've always been in shape, but why anyone would take that as license to verbally harass another person at the gym is beyond me. I live in Los Angeles county. I'd say a good 30-40% of the people I see at my Gym could be described as overweight. In my decade of working out, I have never witnessed such a thing and I would hope that the gym staff would immediately remove anyone engaging in such behavior. This not only hurts and offends the target of the abuse, but also negatively impacts the experience of all of the people working out at that time. What gym do you attend?