Le Reve

Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Le Reve#1
Posted: 1/9/08 at 2:35pm
Le Reve

I decided to go ahead and start a new thread since my posts about this utterly breathtaking show are simply a threadjack in another thread. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and loved it as much as me. Here is what I had to say when asked about O and Le Reve in Las Vegas:

Actually, we saw O and Le Reve. We liked O a lot, but the unfortunate thing was we saw Le Reve first. O was beautiful, but in the end, it was mostly the standard Cirque show with water. As a Cirque show, it is defintely one of the best, but I have to admit it was something of a letdown when compared to Le Reve. Le Reve is quite similar and includes elements of Cirque du Soleil (clowns, music, acrobatics) and it's quite obvious O was the inspiration, but Le Reve took the idea to new levels of ingenuity and artistry. Some of the visual images of Le Reve were quite literally unbelievable. And the way they utilized and incorporated the water in the show was much more innovative and cohesive than O. It's sort of like they combined Cirque du Soleil with old-fashioned Vegas Folies Bergere and gave it a mighty heave into the new millenium. In addition to the acrobatics and (very clever) syncronized swimming, they also included some latin ballroom and a huge dance production number on an immense multi-platformed set covered in fountains rising from the water. My somewhat reserved boyfriend actually spoke in superlatives when describing the show to friends, which is incredibly rare.

Oh, and the men are TO DIE FOR. There is even a scene of sexual awkening and homoerotic imagery that is both intense and touching. To say the show is sophisticated would be an understatement. It is a massive achievement in both art and entertainment.

Check out the video on the website if you haven't already. Click on Entertainment at the top, then Le Reve at the bottom.
Le Reve at Wynn

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Mother's Younger Brother Profile PhotoMother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#2
Posted: 1/9/08 at 2:37pm
Interesting! I was actually a bit bored by O, and still prefer Mystere. I heard about La Reve the last time I was in Vegas, but didn't have any time left to fit it into my schedule.
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#2
Posted: 1/9/08 at 2:43pm
Ivan and I saw Le Reve in 06 and it was amaaaaaaaazing. I think Avenue Q was still playing then.

We loved it. The imagery, the story, the costumes, props, designs, everything was beautiful. The lead we saw was female, so I can't really say it was homoerotic. Erotic, yes, but not so much the homo part.

They revamp it every few months and I want to see this new version, but we don't have the time.

And every man in the cast is gorgeous!
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#3
Posted: 1/9/08 at 2:46pm
The lead we saw was also female, but the homoerotic scene was very subtly played between the two men fighting over the girl (the super-strong balancing guys).
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#4
Posted: 1/9/08 at 2:48pm
I believe they keep revamping it because the powers that be don't think it quite works.

When we were there last winter, we didn't even have time to set foot in The Wynn. I'm really glad I saw O, and look forward to seeing La Reve sometime.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#5
Posted: 1/9/08 at 2:54pm
I believe they keep revamping it because the powers that be don't think it quite works.

Really? I know they changed their logo design, but the show now definitely works. I wonder how much has changed. I notice subtle changes in some of the Cirque shows when they incorporate different acts as the casts change. I'm also glad I saw O, but I think I might have enjoyed it more if I had seen it first. But O did have a few slow spots (the clowns, for example) compared to a couple of the other Cirque shows I have seen. My favorite Cirque shows are still Quidam and Corteo.
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#6
Posted: 1/9/08 at 2:55pm
I think it's a great to revamp shows. Tourists don't want to see the same show every time they come to Vegas.

But who knows what Steve Wynn's thinking?
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#7
Posted: 1/9/08 at 5:46pm
La Reve was great & we liked it better than O
Poster Emeritus
ShbrtAlley44 Profile PhotoShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#8
Posted: 1/9/08 at 5:55pm
I really enjoyed this show, despite coming off my buzz and getting sleepy.
rabymon10
Understudy
Understudy
re: Le Reve#9
Posted: 1/9/08 at 7:02pm
The reason why 'O' and 'Le Reve' seem so similiar is because they were made by the same director, Franco Dragone. And yes, Franco has seemed to have carried over similiar elements from 'O' to 'Le Reve', but expanded upon the ideas.

Basically, the rights have now been sold to Steve Wynn, with Franco's name still in the billing. Steve felt that the show was too Cirque Du Soleil-like and wanted something different. At the moment, most fans of the original production, when Franco was in control, will tell you that the latest incarnation of the show is but a shadow of its former self. It lacks artistic integrity and co-hesiveness, and is now more of a spectacular engagement of lights and other stunts, rather than an emotional story that is told through theatrical and acrobatic imagery. The original male singer, Rob has been sacked from the show because Wynn feels that his voice doesn't suit the type that he wants for the show. It's bloody rediculous. Also apparently, Wynn is constantly changing his mind about what he wants in the show, and the creatives involved are unable to keep up with his demands. That's what you get when a suite has more say than the creatives who know what they're doing.

I know that there are some of you out there that may enjoy the show in its current form, but please know that this isn't the show that Franco originally created and intended for us to see. It's a sad, sad state of affairs to see the show go from its original greatness, and mushed into something else very unlike what it was.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#10
Posted: 1/9/08 at 7:17pm
rabymon10 --- I'm sorry to hear that. I was actually thinking about going... but you know me and "artistic integrity and cohesiveness."

I kinda need that.

Honestly, I'm surprised Dragone allowed it to happen. He's such a "star" in Vegas now, I would think his contract wouldn't include a clause regarding such undermining. Hopefully future agreements will have something. It is his reputation on the line, and he's got a great one.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#11
Posted: 1/9/08 at 7:18pm
The show is better now than it use to be. Worth checking out. Still.. best Cirque show in town is "Love". Mystere needs a face lift. "O" for me was dull.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#12
Posted: 1/9/08 at 8:08pm
rabymon - Yeah, I knew it was Dragone's piece and the program still mentions his involvement.

It lacks artistic integrity and co-hesiveness

Having not seen the original version, I completely disagree. I felt it had more artistic integrity and cohesiveness than O, which was good, but seemed unfocused by comparison. best12bars, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The show is gorgeous. I saw photos of the original production and it did look a bit more obviously Cirque-like than before. The theatrical and acrobatic imagery to tell the story was there as far as I could see and the amazing lighting and use of water and sets only enhanced that rather than overwhelmed it, in my opinion. I was entranced from start to finish. Perhaps there are some sour grapes in the Dragone community regarding the show and I could understand perfectly if the show had been stripped down to an inconceivable mess a la Jekyll and Hyde, but I saw no evidence of that whatsoever. I just saw the best and most visceral non-Broadway productions since De La Guarda.

Speaking of which, how has De La Guarda never landed in Vegas? That show is perfect for Vegas.

DAME - We tried to get tickets to Love, but all we could get was standby for $125 and we simply ran out of time. I'll catch it the next time around.
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#13
Posted: 1/9/08 at 8:20pm
Oh good. I hope you like it. Also you might want to check out some of the headliners in town next time your there. I always try to do one production show and one headliner. There is nothing like seeing Tony Benett or Johnny Mathis in a Vegas showroom.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Le Reve#14
Posted: 1/9/08 at 8:36pm
The soundtrack for Le Reve is great, as well. I listen to it once a month or so.