For those gay guys who aren't gay enough

nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Just because you happen to be a gay man doesn't mean that you don't have to learn how to become one. Gay men do some of that learning on their own, but often we learn how to be gay from others, either because we look to them for instruction or because they simply tell us what they think we need to know, whether we ask for their advice or not."

It's worth three credits!

http://www.umich.edu/news/index.html?BG/317descr
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photodramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As Jack McFarland once said, "We have to help the new gays; nurture them, make them beautiful. We have to Gay It Forward."

...Although it doesn't really apply to me, as I am a woman.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
Updated On: 1/9/08 at 01:27 AM
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"You mean this is a fag bar?"

I love Fagmalion, parts 1 and 2!
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What is exactly is "gay enough" supposed to mean? I don't get that. If you don't meet the stereotypical criteria that's "expected" then you are not "gay enough"? What a LOAD OF CRAP.

The University of Michigan would do better if they taught a course on tolerance and acceptance.

Updated On: 1/9/08 at 01:36 AM
exhalemusic Profile Photoexhalemusic Profile Photo
exhalemusic
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
I saw PerezHilton posted a similar story. I'm a girl but I would want to take this class! What the heck would you be tested on??
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Your lisp, knowledge of musicals and fashion sense apparently.

What a load of horsehit.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
TheActr97J Profile PhotoTheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just because you happen to be a gay man doesn't mean that you don't have to learn how to become one.

How about just being YOURSELF?!
"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My former professor and now mentor got his PhD at the University of Michigan. Once in class he mentioned how his favorite professor taught a course titled "How to Be Gay," and the outrage it caused among the parents of the students in the school.
In reality it's a class about gender identity and gender expression and how society perceives gayness as well as how gay people think of what "being gay" really means.
It's funny to actually see the syllabus and see people's reaction to this class on the board. The title is obviously tongue-in-cheek.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Eh. This is all taught from an outdated pre-Stonewall attitude.

I'm more interested in what "being gay" means to the jocks playing sports and the nerds playing video games, the ones who discover they're gay DESPITE their lack of culturally stereotypical interests.
roquat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
At risk of giving offense, this reminds me of an old MADTV skit (back when it was funny) featuring Debra Wilson as Bonifa Shatiqua Monifa Jackson:

"What, I'm not BLACK enough for you? What do I have to do to be BLACK enough for you, huh? SPIT YOO-HOO?"
I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You know,

Years ago, my mother said they took me in for 'testing' when I was younger.

I have no recollection of it, but I had to ask my mother, what was the testing for.

She said to see if I was gay or not.

I said, "Did they hold up flash cards? Does this purse go with these shoes? Would you call this pink or fushia?"

I just looked her square in the eye and said, "I hope it cost you a lot of money."
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Diva, I was subject to the "Gay Test" too, but in my family they called it "Being An Altar Boy."
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Diva--did you pass or fail?

Or did you just blow the tester?
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I actually wrote an article for Instinct Magazine about a dozen years ago on this very subject! "The Gayer Side of Straight/The Straighter Side of Gay," all about succumbing to, or rejecting, conventions.

I'll have to see if I can dig it up!

It's old... like me.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 1/9/08 at 03:25 PM
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gack!

I was an altar boy as well.

And I had to remind my mother the only reason I had a wig on in that picture was because she put in on me.

It's all her fault.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Jilani
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Did anyone check out the course information page? It has a bunch of info justifying the course's existence in the face of "proposed legislation". Wonder what that was all about!
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That means:

Until someone wants to sue us for 'teching folks how to be gay'.
Jilani
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm guessing that since it's a public university, some anti-gay groups/legislators probably made some kind of stink about how taxpayer dollars were being spent to teach people to be gay.
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Maybe they should have a companion course:

Too Gay? We can help!

And the first person I would send is Ross the intern.
FosseBoi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: For those gay guys who aren't gay enough#19
Posted: 1/10/08 at 12:30am
Diva, thank you for that last comment, it gave me a good laugh. I always think something like that when I see him. I will give him this, he seems nice.lol!
"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
trust me Austin, no one will believe you are going back to school....
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
vbplayer Profile Photovbplayer Profile Photo
vbplayer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TheatreDiva, this thread... and you standing between the 2 "A.Ms".....proves that nothing more needs to be said. Ever!

Brilliant.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Author Unknown
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"You know,

Years ago, my mother said they took me in for 'testing' when I was younger.

I have no recollection of it, but I had to ask my mother, what was the testing for.

She said to see if I was gay or not.

I said, "Did they hold up flash cards? Does this purse go with these shoes? Would you call this pink or fushia?"

I just looked her square in the eye and said, "I hope it cost you a lot of money.""

this is the best post i've read in LONG TIME
dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photodramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I went to high school with a guy who was quite obviously gay, but he would get really offended if anyone suggested he was. He even had girlfriends. His mom and my mom were friends, and my mom told me that this guy's mom took him to some kind of therapist who talked to him and said that he "overidentified with women because he had no strong male influences in his life".
Two years later, I moved to another military base and find out he's moved there as well. He goes to gay bars downtown and says he'd always been gay. He seemed a lot more comfortable than he was at the last school.

So much for doctors and their tests.
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
Updated On: 1/10/08 at 03:32 AM
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm glad you guys enjoyed!

And thanks, vb for the new sig!