Page: 1

Juno

StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Juno#1
Posted: 12/16/07 at 2:59am
I saw this last night and what a delight that it lived up to the hype and then some. One of the most thoroughly entertaining and engrossing films I've seen in a long, long time. I understand the comparisons to Little Miss Sunshine, but, for me, Juno is leagues ahead of LMS.

It's smart and quirky and original, but it is also honest and touching.

Ellen Page, as the title character, is absolutely pitch-perfect. Her performance is hard to describe because it just pops and works so well on so many levels.

And the supporting cast is brilliant. Allison Janney is fantastic, J.K. Simmons is wonderful, Michael Cera is adorable and Jason Bateman is great. Jennifer Garner hit it out of the park; I always knew she could act, but damn if I knew how absolutely astonishing she can be. As someone said on another thread, some of her expressions and reactions had more nuance and feeling than some whole performances in other films.

I'm really hoping for Page and Garner to get Oscar nods, as well as the film picking up Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay nods.

The screenplay is smart, sharp with a ton of heart, and the direction goes right slong with it step for step.

Additionaly, the original songs were such a great (and hilarious) addition.

All in all, probably my favorite movie I've seen all year. And I'm not afraid of hyping it up to a point that it can't match, because it will. It's just that good.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Juno#2
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:00am
I really, really want to see this. Thanks for the great review, Priest!
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Juno#2
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:01am
I haven't seen it, but I do know it's getting a LOT of fabulous press.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Juno#3
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:31am
Along with Amy Ryan's flawless performance in GONE BABY GONE. I believe Garner gives the most thrilling supporting performance of the year. She has never been better, and this is coming from a fan of her previous work.
Ellen Page is easily one of the best actresses out there right now. Her performance in HARD CANDY is haunting to no end and here she proves herself once again. I'm glad this time around she is getting the attention she deserves. I hope she continues to get these great original roles she is so good at. I am so fond of her versatility, cannot wait to see what she does next. Although I'm sure the Oscar belongs to either Cotillard or Julie Christie, it is Page the one I'm pulling for, she gives one of the most original, exciting performances of the year.
Also, let me add to the Alison Janney, Michael Cera, JK Simmons love. They all do beautiful work in this movie.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Juno#4
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:58am
Honestly, has Alison Janney EVER given a 'false' performance - up to, and including, 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU (in which she cracked me up!)?
ShbrtAlley44 Profile PhotoShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Juno#5
Posted: 12/16/07 at 12:06pm
I don't think so, DG. She's just fabulous.

Juno was wonderful!
pushdabutton Profile Photopushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Juno#6
Posted: 12/16/07 at 5:43pm
I am looking forward to seeing this movie.
Jilani
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Juno#7
Posted: 12/17/07 at 12:02am
StickToPriest, I wholeheartedly agree with your post. I just saw the movie today, and thought it was great. I was so worried it would turn out to have been over-hyped, but that wasn't the case at all.
DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Juno#8
Posted: 12/17/07 at 12:05am
Good. I haven't seen it yet but it's nice to know Jason Batemen is in a movie that doesn't suck.
out_of_tune_thespian Profile Photoout_of_tune_thespian Profile Photo
out_of_tune_thespian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Juno#9
Posted: 12/17/07 at 4:18am
I can't wait until it comes out nation wide. This review only made me want to watch it even more. re: Juno