Page: 1

Ella Fitzgerald Wolf Trap 1985

PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ella Fitzgerald Wolf Trap 1985#1
Posted: 11/26/07 at 9:57pm
Ella Fitzgerald, the summer of 1985...I wasn't at this Wolf Trap concert, but I had seen her her at Carnegie Hall earlier that summer as part of the Kool Jazz Festival (no longer the Newport Jazz Festival) in June.

It was a rough summer for Ella. She was in and out of hospitals and sometimes singing through her pain. The summer was her big touring schedule and she didn't want to cancel any concerts.

It was a rough summer for me too: My friends were getting sick and dying of the Plague, my once-promising career as a theater director was coming to a close, I had just turned 29 and I was depressed and in debt.

But Ella, man oh man, I had seen her every summer since 1973, and I wasn't going to miss her.

Here two songs from a PBS broadcast: "Too Close for Comfort" and "They Can't Take That Away from Me," with Miss Fitz still in amazing voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Nwl42wgbo
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ella Fitzgerald Wolf Trap 1985#2
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:18pm
Thank you for finding this, PJ. She might not have been feeling well, but she sounded glorious!
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ella Fitzgerald Wolf Trap 1985#2
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:20pm
One of my greatest regrets is not ever having seen Ella live.
I love you, Joey. Just in case you didn't know.
PEACE.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ella Fitzgerald Wolf Trap 1985#3
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:39pm
I know in some circles it's fashionable to diss Ella- her voice is too pretty, her technique is too perfect. But she was, is, the greatest, ever. If angels can sing they sound like Ella.

And how lucky we are that Norman Granz set her to work recording every. single. great. song. God, what a body of work.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ella Fitzgerald Wolf Trap 1985#4
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:17am
I love you too, Sue.