Page: 1

Who's who? Who cares?

DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who's who? Who cares?#1
Posted: 10/31/07 at 5:06am
You know, all of us should have some idea of the limited parameters of this type of communication. The anonymity is built into the format.

Sure, there are those of us who have reached beyond those boundaries, and extended the reach of our awareness of each other.

However, when it comes to the board itself, it is what it is – a collection of thoughts posted by unknown sources read by unknown recipients.

So why the incessant preoccupation with who is who, or the ever-perplexing situation of ‘sock puppets’? Ultimately, who cares? If you know who someone is, then you put their posts into that context. If you don’t, then all you have to work with is the post itself – and who CARES who it is?

If you take it all at face value, and only alter that view because of personal awareness, then a lot of this drama and nonsense becomes moot.
Broadwayboobs Profile PhotoBroadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's who? Who cares?#2
Posted: 10/31/07 at 7:35am
I thought who is on first?
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
gettinhep Profile Photogettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's who? Who cares?#2
Posted: 10/31/07 at 7:39am
What?
'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's who? Who cares?#3
Posted: 10/31/07 at 7:40am
I suppose it's just kind of the inclination of human nature to feel that you know other people--that you are connecting with people on a level other than just "messages" or thoughts on a message board. But what you're saying is totally accurate and true. We SHOULDN'T think of it as anything more than that, but on some level, we just do.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Who's who? Who cares?#4
Posted: 10/31/07 at 9:18am
I don't understand some people's preoccupation with who's who, who wasn't who, etc. It's a message board when all is said and done. I don't get all the drama that goes on this board. I think some people just spend way too much time in front of their computers worrying about such silly things.
Updated On: 10/31/07 at 09:18 AM
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's who? Who cares?#5
Posted: 10/31/07 at 9:21am
I agree. I don't get the preoccupation with current/former/future "identities."

It doesn't matter!
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's who? Who cares?#6
Posted: 10/31/07 at 9:50am
Well, it doesn't matter a whole lot, and I try to keep this board as fun.

However, if you've been posting here on a regular basis, you can't help but come to know a little about your fellow posters just by virtue of reading their posts for years. I'm not sure you can help that and I don't see anything wrong with it.

I'm not preoccupied with it so it's not a problem!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's who? Who cares?#7
Posted: 10/31/07 at 10:53am
I agree, to a point...I always like to know if I am wasting my time with a true sock puppet...and like to let sincere posters in on it as well.

Then again, how do I know that anyone is sincere?

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's who? Who cares?#8
Posted: 10/31/07 at 10:59am
"Then again, how do I know that anyone is sincere? "

There's the rub! (what does that even mean, lol)
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's who? Who cares?#9
Posted: 10/31/07 at 11:05am
"There's the rub! (what does that even mean, lol)"

$100 or
$200 outcalls
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
who's who? who cares?#10
Posted: 10/31/07 at 11:07am
when people go off on these searches (myself included because i know who you all are even if i am not bothering to mention it) i like to think that sooner rather than later i'll remember a great old red skelton sketch.

a drunk gets pulled over by the police and the officer walks up to the car and hollers, "identify yourself!"

red's character looks up into the rearview mirror and nods approvingly, "yep, that's me!"
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
who's who? who cares?#11
Posted: 10/31/07 at 11:09am
this thread makes my head hurt.