Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gay Unions sanctioned in Medieval Europe#1
Posted: 8/27/07 at 4:44pm
here's the scoop!

Yup!!!
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Updated On: 8/27/07 at 04:44 PM
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was just about to post this article.
Look how far we've come!
....but the world goes 'round
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You beat me to the punch once again Elphaba!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
DottieD'Luscia Profile PhotoDottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It would be very interesting to see when/where things changed.
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There is a book about this that was first published twelve years ago:

Same Sex Unions in Premodern Europe
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
Updated On: 8/27/07 at 04:50 PM
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"It would be very interesting to see when/where things changed."

My guess is around the time one of the Pope's boyfriends ran off with a Bishop.
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
so that's what they mean by Bishop takes Queen.....
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
D2 - that book is in my home library - very interesting (if a bit dry) read.
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mine too, DG. That's how I knew about it. Fascinating book.
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The controversial gay scholar John Boswell wroite about these unions 12 years ago, in his landmark "Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe"--which was published posthumously after we lost him to AIDS on Christmas Day 1994.

re: Gay Unions sanctioned in Medieval Europe

Boswell had previously written "Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century," for which he received the National Book Award.

re: Gay Unions sanctioned in Medieval Europe
Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And D2 and DG--you both beat me to the punch...or should I say, to the altar!
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Uh, yeah. re: Gay Unions sanctioned in Medieval Europe
Updated On: 8/27/07 at 05:06 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"so that's what they mean by Bishop takes Queen....."

Love that line.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photodramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Just think, Herbert; in a thousand years' time, this will still be controversial."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie