Page: 1

Premiere of High School Musical 2 Breaks Ratings Record

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photojacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Friday night premiere of the Disney Channel made-for-television movie "High School Musical 2" has set numerous ratings records and delivered the largest single audience in basic-cable television history, according to preliminary ratings reports provided by Disney.

In early overnight estimates, the debut of "High School Musical 2," a sequel to the wildly popular 2006 children's television movie about a diverse group of teenagers who learn to channel their inner theater geeks, was watched by 17.2 million viewers nationwide.

If these estimates hold up, it would make "High School Musical 2" the most watched event ever broadcast on basic cable, surpassing the debut of "Monday Night Football" on ESPN, which attracted 16 million viewers on Sept. 23, 2006.

It would also mean that "High School Musical 2" is the most watched movie to be shown on basic cable, toppling the previous record holder, the TNT western "Crossfire Trail," which was seen by 15.5 million viewers when it aired on January 21, 2001.

Among the youth demographics that the Disney Channel values most, "High School Musical 2" was once again a ratings smash: the broadcast is now the most-watched single event among children aged 6 to 11, and it represents the channel's most watched event among tweens aged 9 to 14.

Young viewers had been anticipating the sequel to "High School Musical," which catapulted young stars like Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens to stardom and generated an estimated $100 million in sales of DVDs and CD soundtracks for the Walt Disney Co., for more than a year and a half.

In recent months, the Disney Channel, which is available in 92 million homes nationwide, has been reaping the benefits of the frenzied excitement for "High School Musical 2." For the last five weeks, Disney has been the most watched of all basic cable channels in prime time.

Airing after HSM2, a 15-minute preview of the upcoming animated series "Phineas & Ferb" (10.8 million) and an all-new "Hannah Montana" (10.7 million) likewise scored big. In fact, per the Disney Channel, Friday's Hannah Montana now ranks as basic cable's most watched series episode ever.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sad
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
thevolleyballer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That news is FABULOUS.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No! its SAD
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
jacobsnchz14 Profile Photojacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Because High School Musical pretty much sucks?

re: Premiere of High School Musical 2 Breaks Ratings Record
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photodramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Because High School Musical pretty much sucks?

I haven't seen the second one yet, but the first one was all right. I mean, it's DEFINITELY overrated and the music isn't as showtune-y as I would've expected, but it wasn't "oh-God-oh-God-this-is-horrible-I'd-much-rather-be-at-the-gynecologist".

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
Updated On: 8/19/07 at 02:50 PM
Link Larkin Wanabe Profile PhotoLink Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The second one is laughingly bad. I haven't seen such bad writing, acting, and songs in a long time. The most surprising for me though was the hideous choreography. I expected more from Ortega.

Akiva