Page: 1

Metrocard question

broadwaybaby086
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Metrocard question#1
Posted: 8/14/07 at 12:19am
My 30-day metrocard has a pretty extreme crease in it, making it difficult to swipe- it's taken as many as 28 swipes to get through, and I'm sure it'll only get worse. I know that the MTA has a protection policy for 30-day unlimited cards if they are lost or stolen (prorated for the remaining days), and also a replacement policy for damaged metrocards (mail-in). I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this, in regards to refund time or turn-around on replacement cards. If your card is replaced, and is unlimited, do you lose the days the card(s) was(were) in the mail?

It's nearly impossible to get information beyond standard policy directly from the MTA, so I was hoping that some of you experienced New Yorkers would have some information. Thank you!
"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Metrocard question#2
Posted: 8/14/07 at 12:36am
Just ask the person in the booth.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
shira467 Profile Photoshira467 Profile Photo
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Metrocard question#2
Posted: 8/14/07 at 12:49am
My 30-day metrocard got demagnetized, and I sent it in with all the info and they returned the appropriate amount of money. Send it in ASAP with all the info.
Deet: Shira, I Love You!
broadwaybaby086
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Metrocard question#3
Posted: 8/14/07 at 1:03am
Jane2, I did, and was told, "I don't really know because that's not my department." And thank you, Shira.

Generally, I'm not concerned about not getting the appropriate money back from the damaged card, because that's a guarantee, thankfully, from the MTA. I'm more concerned with needing unlimited service now and losing the time/money this week in the transition period when the refund is being issued or when the card is in transit. I can't really afford to get a fare-based card at this time, but another unlimited card seems redundant- especially when I don't know how long or how quickly I will be refunded for the card/a new card will be issued. Any suggestions?
"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...
shira467 Profile Photoshira467 Profile Photo
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Metrocard question#4
Posted: 8/14/07 at 1:06am
I would get another 1 month-er. Your money will be refunded within 2 weeks of submitting your claim (at least it was for me).

Besides, you technically won't be losing money, as it will be refunded, so just buy another monthly. I know it's annoying, but c'est la vie!
Deet: Shira, I Love You!
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Metrocard question#5
Posted: 8/14/07 at 1:14am
"Jane2, I did, and was told, "I don't really know because that's not my department."

Oh, I hate when people say that. I bet that person knew what you should do. Sorry that happened!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
broadwaybaby086
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Metrocard question#6
Posted: 8/14/07 at 1:17am
Thanks, Shira. When I said losing money, I meant the transit costs for which I hadn't budgeted, not having expected my card to meet an early death. HAHA, but I think I'll end up doing that...taking some money out of savings, I suppose. I won't need a monthly as soon as school starts at the beginning of next month, but it's more equitable than buying weekly cards for the rest of this month. Sucky.

And Jane2, I know! It is annoying! I was clearly interrupting her cell phone conversation; how dare I ask a question. But no worries; what can you do?
Updated On: 8/14/07 at 01:17 AM
Anakela Profile PhotoAnakela Profile Photo
Anakela
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Metrocard question#7
Posted: 8/14/07 at 3:01am
Did you pay for your 30 day unlimited card with a credit card, or with cash?

My experience only applies to if you paid with credit card, but depending on the time remaining on your card this might be easier - there's an 800# that you can call, and report your card 'lost', and they'll refund the (prorated @ 2.53/day) unused balance back to your credit card. No need to mail it in or anything, just call. You're allowed one free 'lost' reporting per calendar year, then after that you have to pay $5 if you want to report your card lost and get your unused balance back.

I ended up needing to go out of town for a week about halfway through a monthly card once, and so instead of eating that 7 days I used the metrocard to get to the airport, 'lost' my card at the airport, and called and reported it lost and had the prorated balance for the time left credited back to my credit card like 3-5 days later.
link to MTA info