Page: 1

Romney: No Army For My Sons

pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Romney: No Army For My Sons#1
Posted: 8/8/07 at 3:16pm
"BETTENDORF, Iowa — Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on Wednesday defended his five sons' decision not to enlist in the military, saying they're showing their support for the country by "helping me get elected."

Romney, who did not serve in Vietnam due to his Mormon missionary work and a high draft lottery number, was asked the question by an anti-war activist after a speech in which he called for "a surge of support" for U.S. forces in Iraq."
Romney Speaks Up for Sons' Decisions
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Romney: No Army For My Sons#2
Posted: 8/8/07 at 3:17pm
Perhaps Romney's sons can be new friends for HD.
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Updated On: 8/8/07 at 03:17 PM
SorryGrateful
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Romney: No Army For My Sons#2
Posted: 8/8/07 at 3:46pm
...'saying they're showing their support for the country by "helping me get elected."'

While I don't believe that, just because they are his sons, they should be obligated to enlist (I'd rather he enlist), I think his answer is asinine.
You promised me poems. ~Tricky
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Romney: No Army For My Sons#3
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:10pm
So what was their excuse BEFORE he decided to run? After all, the war has been going on for YEARS now. Why haven't they served their country during that time?I guess Skip, Biff, Flip, Nip, and Van were all supporting their country during that time by purchasing BMWs.Some serve by helping dads political campaigns.Some serve by drinking and drugging.Others serve by sweating and dying.To each to their own. I know there are a lot of veterans out there that have served on campaigns!Romney is full of sh!t!If he supports bu$h's war, his boys should be in uniform by now and on a transport to Baghdad just like HD.The truth of the matter is they are all COWARDS pissing their pants!!!

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Romney: No Army For My Sons#4
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:16pm
This war at home has many parallels to Vietnam.

One of them is that by and large, the rich and powerful and white men were able to avoid the draft. However Al Gore served. So did John Kerry.

Let me say up something that I feel strongly about. I am waiting for a politician my age (57) to flat out say, "You're damn right I avoided the draft. I did it by legal methods, but seriously, Vietnam was a mistake and became a disgrace. Any sane military man knew Vietnam was a lost cause and those who think we could have 'won' haven't a clue"

"This situation in Iraq is as big a disgrace as Vietnam, and I don't want my kids getting blown up for nothing."

"Let's keep all our troops out of Iraq."

What a breath of fresh air that would be. The people who lead us into Vietnam were naked emperors and so are the ones who have destroyed US credibility because of Iraq. I don't care who is (or isn't) in Iraq right now. No one ought to be--even Mitt's boys.

I understand everyone thinking that if a politician supports the Iraq war then they ought to urge their own kids to go, but I say 'no'. Don't fight one bad decision with another.

For the record I was 2-S and then reclassified 4-F in the late 60s-early 70s. You're going to have to look those up if you don't know what they mean.
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Romney: No Army For My Sons#5
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:31pm
Another thing:

To say your sons are showing support for the US by working to get Dad a new job (Let's face it, Mitt has been unemployed for over a year.) is just horse****.

This is the shame in this article.

Where is the decency?

[edit: I've been justifiably censored. Can I change it to read 'poppycock' or balderdash'? Or will it come out 'poppy****'?]

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
Updated On: 8/8/07 at 04:31 PM
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Romney: No Army For My Sons#6
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:36pm
If Romney does win the Republican Nomination this will hurt him big time when the troops go to vote.
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Romney: No Army For My Sons#7
Posted: 8/8/07 at 5:25pm
Wow just IMAGINE my surprise at this "news"! Mitt has always been a "Do as I say not as i do" type of person!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Romney: No Army For My Sons#8
Posted: 8/8/07 at 6:18pm
Maybe he should just strap his boys to the roof of his car in the blazing sun like he did to his dog.
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Romney: No Army For My Sons#9
Posted: 8/11/07 at 1:16am
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"